Man buys car, gets arrested for stealing it

Jean Ralphio

beautiful, clean coal
May 28, 2008
The president of Priority Chevrolet apologized Wednesday for the arrest of a customer in June whom the dealership mistakenly undercharged for an SUV and who resisted the company's efforts to get him to sign a new, costlier contract.

Dennis Ellmer said he's heard from Chesapeake police that one of his managers told an officer that Danny Sawyer of Chesapeake had stolen a 2012 Chevrolet Traverse.

"I owe Mr. Sawyer a big apology," said Ellmer, who manages the entire Priority Auto Group - which includes 11 dealerships in Virginia and North Carolina.

He said his staff erred when they sold the SUV to Sawyer for about $5,600 too little and erred again when they went to police. He said Sawyer should not have been arrested and definitely should not have spent four hours in jail.

"It is my plan to let him keep the $5,600 and to make Mr. Sawyer right. I can't tell you how I plan to fix it, but it is my intention to make it right," said Ellmer, adding that he would like to sit down and talk with Sawyer.

Rebecca Colaw, Sawyer's attorney, said she appreciates that Ellmer is taking responsibility for what happened. But she said he will have to do more than say he's sorry and let Sawyer keep the SUV.

"An apology is not enough," she said.

Earlier this month, Sawyer, 40, a registered nurse, filed two lawsuits against the dealership accusing it of malicious prosecution, slander, defamation and abuse of process, among other things. The lawsuits seek $2.2 million in damages, plus attorney fees.

Ellmer and his vice president, Stacy Cummings, said they were unaware of the lawsuits until they read about them Tuesday on the front page of The Virginian-Pilot. Two managers at Priority Chevrolet declined Monday to comment on the lawsuits, and two phone calls and an email to an attorney for the dealership were not returned.

According to the lawsuits, Sawyer test-drove a blue Chevrolet Traverse on May 7 but ultimately decided to buy a black one. He traded in his 2008 Saturn Vue, signed a promissory note and left in his new SUV.

The next morning, Sawyer returned and asked to exchange the black Traverse for the blue one.

The lawsuit claims Wib Davenport, a sales manager, agreed to the trade without discussing how much more the blue Traverse would cost. Cummings disputed that, saying Davenport told Sawyer it would cost about $5,500 more than the black one and that Sawyer orally agreed to the higher price.

Regardless, the final contract Sawyer signed did not reflect the higher price, which Cummings said should have been in the area of $39,000. He blamed a clerical error.

"We definitely made a mistake there. There is no doubt about it," said Ellmer.

After signing the contract - which listed a sale price of about $34,000 - Sawyer immediately left the dealership and returned with a cashier's check covering what he owed after dealer incentives and his trade-in.

A week later, Sawyer came back from a vacation to find numerous voicemails and a letter from the dealership, the suit said. In a phone conversation, Davenport explained they had made a mistake on the contract and sold the car for too little. He asked Sawyer to return to the dealership and sign a new contract.

The lawsuit claims Sawyer refused. Cummings said Sawyer initially agreed but never followed through.

When Sawyer did not return to the dealership, Priority staff continued their attempts to contact him via phone, text message and hand-delivered letters. They eventually contacted police.

On June 15, three Chesapeake police officers arrested Sawyer in his front yard and took him before a magistrate judge. He was released on bond after about four hours at the Chesapeake jail, the suit said.

Commonwealth's Attorney Nancy Parr said her office dropped all charges Aug. 23 after speaking with representatives of the dealership and determining there was insufficient evidence to pursue the case.

In an interview Tuesday, Ellmer and Cummings said their staff never reported the SUV stolen and never asked for Sawyer to be arrested. They said they called police only for help locating the SUV while they pursued the civil action.

After speaking with police Wednesday, however, Ellmer said he'd learned one of his managers, Brad Anderson, had indeed said the SUV was stolen.

Kelly O'Sullivan, a spokeswoman for the Chesapeake Police Department, said the officer told Anderson in advance he was going to secure a warrant for Sawyer's arrest.

Ellmer described what happened to Sawyer as an isolated incident. He noted that his dealerships sell about 13,000 cars a year.

"This shouldn't have happened," he said.
Dealership apologizes for error, customer arrest | HamptonRoads.com | PilotOnline.com

Jean Ralphio

beautiful, clean coal
May 28, 2008
and the internet at work

qt0e1.png

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
It's funny seeing a dealership get the short end for a change.

IMHO, Sawyer knew the dealership made a mistake with the paperwork and hustled to complete the deal before they noticed. When they did notice, he, rightfully, told them to go suck eggs and they got pissed off and compounded the problem by having him arrested. Now, they may end up paying him a lot more for their stupidity.

Customer - 1
Dealership - 0

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
I hope he will get the 2.2 mil well deserved

Really? Why? Did he experience 2.2 million worth of damages? Clerical errors happen, especially when you have odd situations like someone swapping out a car for another one. I know this because on several occasions your dealership couldn't manage to get an order of mine correct nor could they manage to make a follow up call.

The bad decision here was going to the police but if they were certain the customer verbally agreed to the higher price and then he tried to back out of it on a technicality, then what choice did they have? They should have learned from the mistake and moved on but I can certainly see how pride would prevent them from doing that and as I too am human, I can't necessarily fault them there.

Either way though, shit happens. The customer should be made whole and then maybe a little bit on top of that. Being made a millionaire over a 4 hour stint in the slammer... no go. That is my defintion of frivolous litigation.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
It's funny seeing a dealership get the short end for a change.

IMHO, Sawyer knew the dealership made a mistake with the paperwork and hustled to complete the deal before they noticed. When they did notice, he, rightfully, told them to go suck eggs and they got pissed off and compounded the problem by having him arrested. Now, they may end up paying him a lot more for their stupidity.

Customer - 1
Dealership - 0

He's a shitty person... If it were anybody but a dealership on the other end of the deal people would be saying that. It's just that people like to see dealerships get the shaft.

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
Joel
Meh. You handed the guy a contract; he signed it; deal done. Not his fault they fucked up. You'd think they would have noticed...it's not like it printed and the customer grabbed it and signed it real fast. Dealer probably even went over the different lines with him before he signed.

2.2 million? Fuck off though. Give me my bail money back and I'd be happy with the $6k I just saved on the car.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
No, he suffered about $500 worth of damage the rest is punitive.

2.2 Million in punitive damages? Get real. Everyone is litigious when it's the other guy that has to pay. Then you want to hit them where it hurts regardless of the cost. People tend to sing a very different tune once they're on the other side of a lawsuit though. Then you see just how jacked the system is, how frivolous lawsuit amounts can be with absolutely nothing to substantiate their amount, etc.

Says the guy who was sued for $4,000,000.

GG Allin

Addict
Feb 27, 2012
ORD
2.2 Million in punitive damages? Get real.

Sorry, I have no sympathy for car dealers. Below is my Yelp review for O'Hare Honda regarding the last car I bought from a dealer, 13 years ago.

12/20/2011
I bought a used '89 BMW 535i from them back in '99. The car turned out to have a broken odometer. This did not become apparent until a few weeks after buying it. The odometer would go from 33999 back to 33000. It had been doing this for a long time. They told me the car came in on trade from a guy who split his time between here and Florida which was supposed to explain why it had such low mileage. Complete B.S. It turned out they bought the car at auction. I paid a premium because of the mileage. Long story short, when confronted with the odometer issue they basically said "it's not our problem". Talked to a lawyer, could have gone after them to get my money back, but that would have cost a few grand up front for me. What made things tricky was the fact that the car was 10 years old when this went down. Mileage is exempt by law after 10 years. But they had put it in writing with an odometer statement. The lawsuit would have been a gamble, the odds were probably in my favor. If this had happened today, me being a bit older now, the car would have been left at the dealer when the problem was discovered and I would have sued them no doubt. Bottom line I will never do business with this dealer again All I can do at this point is share my story with anyone considering them. The Mize family were the owners then and still are. The right thing to do would have been take the car back and refund me. Scumbags!

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
Sorry, I have no sympathy for car dealers. Below is my Yelp review for O'Hare Honda regarding the last car I bought from a dealer, 13 years ago.

12/20/2011
I bought a used '89 BMW 535i from them back in '99. The car turned out to have a broken odometer. This did not become apparent until a few weeks after buying it. The odometer would go from 33999 back to 33000. It had been doing this for a long time. They told me the car came in on trade from a guy who split his time between here and Florida which was supposed to explain why it had such low mileage. Complete B.S. It turned out they bought the car at auction. I paid a premium because of the mileage. Long story short, when confronted with the odometer issue they basically said "it's not our problem". Talked to a lawyer, could have gone after them to get my money back, but that would have cost a few grand up front for me. What made things tricky was the fact that the car was 10 years old when this went down. Mileage is exempt by law after 10 years. But they had put it in writing with an odometer statement. The lawsuit would have been a gamble, the odds were probably in my favor. If this had happened today, me being a bit older now, the car would have been left at the dealer when the problem was discovered and I would have sued them no doubt. Bottom line I will never do business with this dealer again All I can do at this point is share my story with anyone considering them. The Mize family were the owners then and still are. The right thing to do would have been take the car back and refund me. Scumbags!

Great, so you've admitted that you're not weighing the situation fairly because you have no sympathy for dealers. I'm glad you made yourself clear on that. It doesn't make a request for 2.2m any more reasonable but at least you recognize your bias.

GG Allin

Addict
Feb 27, 2012
ORD
Great, so you've admitted that you're not weighing the situation fairly because you have no sympathy for dealers. I'm glad you made yourself clear on that. It doesn't make a request for 2.2m any more reasonable but at least you recognize your bias.

Sure I admit that. But if dealers don't get hit hard once in a while for fucking people over, they'll continue to fuck people over.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
Sure I admit that. But if dealers don't get hit hard once in a while for fucking people over, they'll continue to fuck people over.

Sure, I agree, when they actually do something that merits a 2.2 million dollar pay out. This does not.

That crazy lady that was sueing me and PAF basically got laughed at by a judge and I walked past her with the biggest shit-eating grin you have ever seen. ha 'merica

lol, what did you get sued for?

guspech750

Guspech Superdriller
TCG Premium
Jan 23, 2010
North Aurora
Sure, I agree, when they actually do something that merits a 2.2 million dollar pay out. This does not.

You're delusional. It does too. The dealer messed up on the pricing. Their fault. They purposely call the police and report the car stolen. Their fault again. And the car owner is arrested and spent x amount of hours in jail. Wait for it.............................................................................. Yep, again their fault.

The dealer is lucky the car owner is not a nut job and didn't go in there and light the place up with gun fire.

I learned some pretty disturbing info from my lawyers while we had our lawsuit against a local dealer. My lawyers partner used to represent lots of dealers and had grown so tired of the lies and intent on taking advantage of as many people as a dealer can get away with. He had enough and joined the good guys side. Hell, I was amazed at the lies from the defendants and the defendants lawyers during our 4 day trial.

Of course there are some customers who are in the wrong. But not nearly as much or as many as the dealers try to take advantage of people.

In your eyes. What merits a 2.2 million dollar lawsuit. Fucking the car owners dead mom or grandmother and shooting his cum in the car owners mouth?

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
You're delusional. It does too. The dealer messed up on the pricing. Their fault. They purposely call the police and report the car stolen. Their fault again. And the car owner is arrested and spent x amount of hours in jail. Wait for it.............................................................................. Yep, again their fault.

The dealer is lucky the car owner is not a nut job and didn't go in there and light the place up with gun fire.

I learned some pretty disturbing info from my lawyers while we had our lawsuit against a local dealer. My lawyers partner used to represent lots of dealers and had grown so tired of the lies and intent on taking advantage of as many people as a dealer can get away with. He had enough and joined the good guys side. Hell, I was amazed at the lies from the defendants and the defendants lawyers during our 4 day trial.

Of course there are some customers who are in the wrong. But not nearly as much or as many as the dealers try to take advantage of people.

In your eyes. What merits a 2.2 million dollar lawsuit. Fucking the car owners dead mom or grandmother and shooting his cum in the car owners mouth?

You're the type of customer I try to identify and then suggest they go to my competition. To call me delusional for saying a 2.2 million dollar payout is reasonable here, even if the dealer is completely in the wrong, is truly ironic. Maybe that makes me a better person than people like you because I can't imagine being able to sleep after taking 2.2 million dollars from anyone for something so trivial as this, not to mention the trickle down effect it would have on the dealer's employees.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info