2012 Motor Trend Best Driver's Car

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
This is Motor Trend's comparison where the winner isn't the car with the fastest lap times. They're out to find the best "driver's" car, as described below. Though they still record lap and acceleration times.

2012-Motor-Trend-Best-Drivers-Car-front-three-quarters.jpg

After all, this is Best Driver's Car. It's not about numbers and straight-line performance. If it were, to paraphrase editor-at-large Angus MacKenzie, we'd just rent a top fuel dragster and call it a day.

Instead, we spent more than a week with all nine contenders to determine which one is the best to drive. We put each car through our standard battery of dynamic tests before letting our resident evil scientist Kim Reynolds rig up all the cars with a full battery of sensors for even more measurements. From there, we took our fast nine to one of our favorite California canyon roads and, with a little help from our pals at the California Highway Patrol, blasted them up and down a gorgeous 5-mile stretch of tarmac. One of the officers even whipped out his radar gun and -- while smiling -- clocked the Aventador hitting 130 mph. It's good to be friends with The Man.

Finally, we handed all the cars over to the aforementioned Pobst to see what he could wring out of them around Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca. Oh, and for purely journalistic reasons, I was forced to jump into each one and have my own go around that gorgeous, iconic, 2.3-mile track. We also spent a few hundred miles running around on freeways. While that last part is a small piece of the overall puzzle, if a car rides so harshly that you don't feel like driving it to, let alone on, your favorite road, what's the point?

9. Lamborghini Aventador LP700-4
8. Jaguar XKR-S
7. Ford Shelby GT500
6. Chevrolet Camaro ZL1
5. McLaren MP4-12C
4. Subaru BR-Z
3. Nissan GT-R
2. Mercedes C63 AMG Black Series
1. Porsche 911 Carerra S

2012 Motor Trend Best Driver's Car - Motor Trend

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
Joel
I didn't actually read the article; just the list you posted. I actually assumed the carrera and the merc were traditional manuals.

I'm actually surprised at the merc even being on the list. I just thought it was a brute (read german muscle car) but not really a drivers car.

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
They didn't bring back a few cars because nothing has changed. The ZR-1, for example. Ferrari wouldn't give them the 458 - the previous winner - and the GT-R was in last year's competition but enough changed for 2013 to bring it back.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info