🔧 BUILD ZXMustang's 2022 Mustang GT

General Information

Yea it’s true. I ended up going 10.40 on the final setup of the ZL1 and was quite pissed. I was looking at another $15k in cam and fuel mods to keep going and I have just plainly lost interest. It’s infuriating with how much I spent on that car to go low 10s when coyotes are doing 9s for a lot less. And a few weeks ago I had a buddy get one and it was tuned. His was waaaaaay different than the stock one I drove before.

On top of that the ZL1 with the Maggie was quite valuable as well. So I was able to minimize loses on it and absolutely steal a 22. It was used. 1500 miles. I paid cash for it. Not going to finance in this market.

Already have it on full E tune with my vengeance tuner. JLT coming and the DRs are already on, on a new set of f14s. My opinion. Still stands about QC. It’s not great. I’ll be taking it in for some fit and finish issues but all in all for what I paid and what it will cost to run circles around the ZL1, it’s still a steal. Flame me all you want, I have the cash and the want to play and I’m going to. And if tomorrow I buy a plaid or a fucking dump truck, that’s my business.

IMG_5129.jpeg

IMG_5124.jpeg

IMG_5166.jpeg

IMG_5012.jpeg

01bluesnake

D Mark Performance
TCG Sponsor
Jul 8, 2009
I know you are the mad scientist and absolutely detail oriented. And I know I could get a sick TT kit from you. Just sucks you are so far away now. I know, open a shop in Florida...lol If I were still in IL I would 100% have you doing all the work on it.

I can build a spare kit and ship if you did want one, but eta would be about 8 weeks. Turbos and ceramic coating add in a big chunk of time. Would love to go to Florida, but too many things and people tying me to Il unfortunately.

LikeABauce302

TCG Elite Member
Aug 27, 2013
South suburbs
Real Name
Matt
Hey you guys running PBD tunes/trans tunes. Are you happy with them? My guy is a world class LT4 tuner, but I think hes a bit behind the 8 ball on ford. We have been struggling with flex and the trans is acting very strange. Im thinking on biting the bullet and getting PBD to do an e85 tune for me to see the difference. Its only $275 to basically sanity check myself here and make sure Im not just overasking for performance here or if the car has anything else especially off the line. Im getting strange delays going WOT from a dig and the car seems to fall off from about 6900 to 7700 then shift so hard it spins them.,
I drove my friends 2016 twin turbo 6R80 car with a PBD file. He was fighting a weird throttle hang issue. Eventually he got it straightened out by another tuner. Also hearing Bottlefed had issues with PBD, I would look elsewhere. Maybe Drew can tune remotely for you if you can rent dyno time somewhere.

Reactions: 01bluesnake

BOTTLEFED

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Mar 7, 2015
I drove my friends 2016 twin turbo 6R80 car with a PBD file. He was fighting a weird throttle hang issue. Eventually he got it straightened out by another tuner. Also hearing Bottlefed had issues with PBD, I would look elsewhere. Maybe Drew can tune remotely for you if you can rent dyno time somewhere.
I blame my broken rearend on 01bluesnake 01bluesnake spicy tune in my car lol, all joking aside i would def consider this as a strong option. Drew resolved the issues that two other tuners couldn't one of them being PBD.

ZXMustang

Suh dude
Feb 19, 2019
Those ESS kits are looking more and more desirable. They make great power and for about $6k you can get the whole kit and injectors. Maybe a tad bit more. There are tons of those videos on youtube of guys making great power and running deep 10s and 9s with them.

my LTHs are supposed to deliver today and I also have MT ET street Rs coming in a shorter size. Street heat is happening here on the 13th at Bradenton, and Im going to the drag part hopefully with the headers and new DRs.

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
Reactions: BOTTLEFED

ZXMustang

Suh dude
Feb 19, 2019
I'd only be concerned with piecing the rest of the kit together and seeing where the cost lands. Im at about $6k with the brand new ESS tuning kit and it makes 1600cfm max. So its basically like a Procharger F1A-91. The cheaper ESS kit is the same but with the G2 blower that is the same as a D1SC procharger and that whole kit is like $5k.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
The first gear ratio in the 10-speed is steep! That gear ratio and 3.15 more than any car you have owned. Besides maybe the ZL1 since it uses a 10-speed which probably has similar gearing.

Remember when everyone was amazed at how short 1st gear was in the MT82 when introduced in the 2011 GT? Well, here is what I posted in Jeff's thread when he was talking about how the 10-speed was breaking axles. They were also talking about big power cars leaving in 2nd gear with the 10-speed.

"MT82 1st gear
3.66 x 3.31 = 12.114
3.66 x 3.55 = 12.993
3.66 x 3.73 = 13.725

10R 1st gear
4.70 x 3.15 = 14.805
10R 2nd gear
2.985 x 3.15 = 9.40

You can see the torque multiplication is still higher with the 10-speed auto. 2nd gear in the 10-speed is 2.985. You can see how much different launching in 2sn gear with the 10-speed is."

ZXMustang

Suh dude
Feb 19, 2019
The first gear ratio in the 10-speed is steep! That gear ratio and 3.15 more than any car you have owned. Besides maybe the ZL1 since it uses a 10-speed which probably has similar gearing.

Remember when everyone was amazed at how short 1st gear was in the MT82 when introduced in the 2011 GT? Well, here is what I posted in Jeff's thread when he was talking about how the 10-speed was breaking axles. They were also talking about big power cars leaving in 2nd gear with the 10-speed.

"MT82 1st gear
3.66 x 3.31 = 12.114
3.66 x 3.55 = 12.993
3.66 x 3.73 = 13.725

10R 1st gear
4.70 x 3.15 = 14.805
10R 2nd gear
2.985 x 3.15 = 9.40

You can see the torque multiplication is still higher with the 10-speed auto. 2nd gear in the 10-speed is 2.985. You can see how much different launching in 2sn gear with the 10-speed is."
Problem is the ZL1 had way more power. This mustang is quick but a tad gutless off the line. And with the 305/45s I had it was hurting the short time. Hoping to get that back with the 274/40 and some more power. Once I get boost, I’ll go back to the 305/45 or run a 15”.

Also car is setup to shift at 7700 so that lets first run out a bit. I’m playing with that though. 7300-7700 in the tune to see where the MPH lands and see if it does a 5-6 shift before the line.

Reactions: Bigturbonotch

ZXMustang

Suh dude
Feb 19, 2019
Headers are on. It’s nascar loud now in track mode. Thank god I have the active exhaust and can put it in quiet mode. Holy shit it’s loud.

New DRs are mounted and balanced. Tune has been dialed in more with the LTs on now. Racing on Saturday evening. Can’t wait to see how it does. Best so far 11.70@119.

IMG_6570.jpeg

IMG_6572.jpeg

Blood on Blood

rumble baby rumble
Apr 6, 2005
Headers are on. It’s nascar loud now in track mode. Thank god I have the active exhaust and can put it in quiet mode. Holy shit it’s loud.

New DRs are mounted and balanced. Tune has been dialed in more with the LTs on now. Racing on Saturday evening. Can’t wait to see how it does. Best so far 11.70@119.

View attachment 161839

View attachment 161840

What additional tuning was required after installing the LTs?

ZXMustang

Suh dude
Feb 19, 2019
What additional tuning was required after installing the LTs?

Car was wanting more timing, hitting the top of the MBT tables. DCT codes disabled for rear O2s and something with the maf needed to be refined. He also messed with some O2 sensor timing or something. It was only two revisions from two logs. Car peaking out at 31.5* now on its own vs 29.8 before. And wanting more timing earlier too. This car is about as refined tuning wise as it gets.

Reactions: Blood on Blood

01bluesnake

D Mark Performance
TCG Sponsor
Jul 8, 2009
Car was wanting more timing, hitting the top of the MBT tables. DCT codes disabled for rear O2s and something with the maf needed to be refined. He also messed with some O2 sensor timing or something. It was only two revisions from two logs. Car peaking out at 31.5* now on its own vs 29.8 before. And wanting more timing earlier too. This car is about as refined tuning wise as it gets.

Car won't see knock on E85. and headers won't make a difference, they always get 31*. My guess is its how he has the tune setup and just not familiar with these cars, not trying to knock his tuning, its just not how E85 and these cars work. There's a lot of tables through cam event changes these will jump through, even a .05 change in load could put you in another bracket for timing in the same table, out of the 28, and these cars will always blend, so it's never just one table at a time. You also have changes in timing based on AFR the car is seeing, which is adder or subtraction to the base tables, which is not even getting into the coolant, IAT, or torque limits or calculations, which can also modify timing. Coyotes have feedback knock sensors, which depending how he set them up, will do all sorts of different things. Theses also various tables that are caps to timing, also based on load.rpm. Just for reference, i never see knock on E85, even my turbo and blower cars, unless there is something seriously going on, majority of the time false knock.

Heres a log from a '22 i just did. When it gets into WOT, Knock dumps to -2 which is how i have it set up, timing goes to 31 and stays there. Stock header car. The little bump is a change of .03 of 1 degree at the bottom, which could just a little noise the sensors are picking up. I never desensitize knock sensors unless needed because of false knock, these values were stock, but no knock, so not worried.

E85wot.22.jpg

Thread Info