🔧 BUILD ZXMustang's 2022 Mustang GT

General Information

Yea it’s true. I ended up going 10.40 on the final setup of the ZL1 and was quite pissed. I was looking at another $15k in cam and fuel mods to keep going and I have just plainly lost interest. It’s infuriating with how much I spent on that car to go low 10s when coyotes are doing 9s for a lot less. And a few weeks ago I had a buddy get one and it was tuned. His was waaaaaay different than the stock one I drove before.

On top of that the ZL1 with the Maggie was quite valuable as well. So I was able to minimize loses on it and absolutely steal a 22. It was used. 1500 miles. I paid cash for it. Not going to finance in this market.

Already have it on full E tune with my vengeance tuner. JLT coming and the DRs are already on, on a new set of f14s. My opinion. Still stands about QC. It’s not great. I’ll be taking it in for some fit and finish issues but all in all for what I paid and what it will cost to run circles around the ZL1, it’s still a steal. Flame me all you want, I have the cash and the want to play and I’m going to. And if tomorrow I buy a plaid or a fucking dump truck, that’s my business.

IMG_5129.jpeg

IMG_5124.jpeg

IMG_5166.jpeg

IMG_5012.jpeg

ZXMustang

Suh dude
Feb 19, 2019
Just ordered some TSP 1 7/8 LT headers - no cats. So at this point I will be LTs, JLT and full E. Trying to get solid into the 120mph+ range.

Then still kicking around what type/brand of boost to go with. Whipple and Odin still top of the list, but both are so super expensive. Im wondering if a centri kit like the procharger would be worth it since I have the A10.

Jeffs FRC

TCG Elite Member
Aug 10, 2006
Lakemoor, IL
Just ordered some TSP 1 7/8 LT headers - no cats. So at this point I will be LTs, JLT and full E. Trying to get solid into the 120mph+ range.

Then still kicking around what type/brand of boost to go with. Whipple and Odin still top of the list, but both are so super expensive. Im wondering if a centri kit like the procharger would be worth it since I have the A10.
If cost effectiveness is what you're after, check out the ESS kits. I have no experience or even know anyone with one, but people online seem to rave.

Reactions: Blood on Blood

01bluesnake

D Mark Performance
TCG Sponsor
Jul 8, 2009
TSP was probably the worst brand you could buy, Stainless power is where its at. Hopefully they fixed the length issues with TraShP where you don't have section the headers and catback 4" to keep from smashing the catback into the sway bar and rear trunk panel. Also hope you get all the clamps, and they welded in the rear O2 sensor holes in the connect pipes, since the last 3 sets i've done they were MIA, with even their catted kits. I think they finally fixed the front O2 sensor position, so you should be good there from destroying the sensors with E85. After that, install is a breeze, as long as you've done a few coyote sets so you know where they hit lol.

PROCHARGER IS trash, has been since they came out for the 2011. Paxton/Vortech all day for a centri type blower.

ZXMustang

Suh dude
Feb 19, 2019
TSP was probably the worst brand you could buy, Stainless power is where its at. Hopefully they fixed the length issues with TraShP where you don't have section the headers and catback 4" to keep from smashing the catback into the sway bar and rear trunk panel. Also hope you get all the clamps, and they welded in the rear O2 sensor holes in the connect pipes, since the last 3 sets i've done they were MIA, with even their catted kits. I think they finally fixed the front O2 sensor position, so you should be good there from destroying the sensors with E85. After that, install is a breeze, as long as you've done a few coyote sets so you know where they hit lol.

PROCHARGER IS trash, has been since they came out for the 2011. Paxton/Vortech all day for a centri type blower.
The shop near me that does nothing but coyotes and predators recommended the TSPs. Said they fit well and install easy. They are shipping directly to the shop and I’ll have them do it. Install is $725. Headers with no cats were $1050. They have good reviews and the shop has lots of good google and FB reviews. They came highly recommended. We will see. The stainless power ones only come catted now I guess. Not much more money.

01bluesnake

D Mark Performance
TCG Sponsor
Jul 8, 2009
The shop near me that does nothing but coyotes and predators recommended the TSPs. Said they fit well and install easy. They are shipping directly to the shop and I’ll have them do it. Install is $725. Headers with no cats were $1050. They have good reviews and the shop has lots of good google and FB reviews. They came highly recommended. We will see. The stainless power ones only come catted now I guess. Not much more money.

Thats pretty shocking they would recommend them over others like the SP, as its a much better fitting header, but yes only catted. TSP could of fixed some of their issues, but unless they redesigned the header, the fitment is bad on the passenger side, unless the motor is shifted completely to the driver side. If you got no emissions, no rear holes will matter as long as your tuner is fine with turning off emissions, over here we cant.

Last thing you want to battle in a coyote is false knock cause of exhaust fitment issues.

Here's two links i found real quick, talking about the same issues i've seen.

This is a whole thread on them, but first post by a different person also notes same problems

"I just installed a set myself and have very little clearance on the passenger side frame rail too.
I had a noise coming from my car after I installed it, but i tracked it down to the exhaust hitting the rear sway bar."

ZXMustang

Suh dude
Feb 19, 2019
Thats pretty shocking they would recommend them over others like the SP, as its a much better fitting header, but yes only catted. TSP could of fixed some of their issues, but unless they redesigned the header, the fitment is bad on the passenger side, unless the motor is shifted completely to the driver side. If you got no emissions, no rear holes will matter as long as your tuner is fine with turning off emissions, over here we cant.

Last thing you want to battle in a coyote is false knock cause of exhaust fitment issues.

Here's two links i found real quick, talking about the same issues i've seen.

This is a whole thread on them, but first post by a different person also notes same problems

"I just installed a set myself and have very little clearance on the passenger side frame rail too.
I had a noise coming from my car after I installed it, but i tracked it down to the exhaust hitting the rear sway bar."

Thanks man. Yeah we are good on turning off the o2 here. No inspections or emissions. I have parameter access too in my HPT, so I could easily disable them.

And yes I will keep an eye for false knock, especially being on full E. I have logs and logs of the car at WOT and should have plenty to compare to. Plus my tuner is pretty well engaged. We are going to retune for the headers anyway. This time Im bringing to their shop for him to do it on the dyno instead of me on the streets.

Reactions: 01bluesnake

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city
I had them on my 16gt and had false knock issues as well, tried to track it down for most of a season, shifting the motor to the driver side helped and I covered the frame rails with heat insulation so when the header touched it would dampen the sound vibration, I ended up talking rob in to desensitizing the knock sensors 50% and I would run c85 at the track just for added insurance, she ran good after that

Jeffs FRC

TCG Elite Member
Aug 10, 2006
Lakemoor, IL
My blue car had SP headers(installed in my garage) and they fit pretty great. The orange car has TSP and from what I saw on the lift they look to fit just fine, O2 bungs welded in at an angle to prevent damage from E85, and from looking through the logs, I dont see any knock. I can't say how they fit on install because the previous owner did them and also welded in 3" connects to the catback to get rid of the factory bottleneck, so he may have had to do some other massaging? I checked the car pretty closely up on a rack and they seem to fit fine. Here's a pic of the TSP on my orange car.
IMG_5510.jpg

Jeffs FRC

TCG Elite Member
Aug 10, 2006
Lakemoor, IL
Prochargers seem to snap the cranks on these cars for some reason seems like it has something to do with the crank pulley design.
It's because they piggyback onto the crank pulley and the blower belt is further out from the crank. If you think about leverage, it makes sense that Procharger seems to have the most issues snapping cranks.

ZXMustang

Suh dude
Feb 19, 2019
Got a gen 2 getting wrapped up today as well, another 850+whp car. TT is the way to go, a little more expensive but power is very manageable, very little weight gain(at least with mine) and makes stupid power easy, even on 93oct.

View attachment 160083
I know you are the mad scientist and absolutely detail oriented. And I know I could get a sick TT kit from you. Just sucks you are so far away now. I know, open a shop in Florida...lol If I were still in IL I would 100% have you doing all the work on it.

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
Got a gen 2 getting wrapped up today as well, another 850+whp car. TT is the way to go, a little more expensive but power is very manageable, very little weight gain(at least with mine) and makes stupid power easy, even on 93oct.

View attachment 160083
Can you get me a better pic, so I can share to our IG?

Thread Info