NEW RIDE ZXMustang's 2018 Chevy Camaro ZL1.

IDAFC21

WOW.
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2007
Avondale, AZ
everything-annie-edison.gif

IceCreamAssassin

When in doubt, throttle out
TCG Premium
Jan 28, 2011
Cary
Thats an end goal for sure. At this point the car is still under powertrain warranty for a while longer and that oil pump is suspect on this year car for grenading and taking out the whole shortblock. So Im at a crossroads to either keep the mods lite so I can back them out if needed for a big warranty claim, or go the whole distance and do the cam and change the oil pump to the Katech one that everyone upgrades to at the same time. I wont be able to do the work myself so Im looking at $10k at least for a shop to do all the work. The motor needs to be lifted and the pan has to drop to get the front cover off. From what I can tell a cam is a huge job that should only be done at the end when you want to do max effort.

I have been eying a maggie 2650 or a whipple as well. But for the short term I really want a tune/trans tune. From what I hear the trans tune makes a MASSIVE difference in the performance on the ZL1. Guys with only a tune/trans tune going from low 11's into the tens with nothing more.
I don’t know much about the ZL1 platform but I feel like you could make plenty of power before upgrading the supercharger? I just like how rowdy they can sound with cam, exhaust and tune.

ZXMustang

Suh dude
Feb 19, 2019
I don’t know much about the ZL1 platform but I feel like you could make plenty of power before upgrading the supercharger? I just like how rowdy they can sound with cam, exhaust and tune.

100% true. You can do a max effort build with the stock blower (ported) pullied to the max and make 900 at the wheels pretty easily. But thats all the goodies with cam and E and everything($25K). Or you can do a 2650 with a CAI and some headers and make the same lol.

Thread Info