ZXMustang's 2017 Charger Daytona 392

Status
Not open for further replies.

TCG Member 5219

TCG Elite Member
Mar 22, 2005
i really like the current wheels.

Yeah me too. There are some other optional wheels that I would have liked to have, but these are awesome too. Maybe I'll get them powder coated matte black someday if they get chipped up or scratched. But I like the style. They need 275 tires too. Right now they have 245s....ugh.

Tight Lines. Im not totally sure I want to lower it, but what price would you need just so I know?

TCG Member 5219

TCG Elite Member
Mar 22, 2005
Honest question, as I'm not up on the Dodge lineup...what's the difference between the 392 Scat Pack and the SRT8?

Quite a bit. But I couldnt justify the price difference for more expensive brake pads that dust like mad, plus other things that come with owning an SRT. And for like $250 you can buy this thing called a TaZer, that plugs into the OBD2 port and unlocks all the SRT pages, track mode, eco mode among other things. So Im really missing out on just the hood, bigger brakes and the adjustable suspension.

2015 Dodge Challenger R/T Scat Pack and SRT 392 First Drive – Review – Car and Driver

With the Hellcat’s obscene output coming courtesy of a supercharged 6.2-liter, the 6.4 is Chrysler’s largest and most powerful naturally aspirated V-8. This year, engineers squeezed out 15 additional horses and 5 more lb-ft of torque for new figures of 485 horsepower at 6000 rpm and 475 lb-ft at 4200. Transmitting power to the rear wheels is your choice of a six-speed manual or a new eight-speed automatic, the latter with steering-wheel paddles that Dodge claims can summon shifts in as quickly as 160 milliseconds.

VIEW 45 PHOTOS

The historic Scat Pack name was resurrected for Challenger and Charger R/T models just last year and slapped on multistage Mopar performance packages for their shared 5.7-liter Hemi. Now the Scat Pack moniker essentially denotes a Challenger equipped like the cloth-seated R/T but powered by the bruising 6.4. As such, the R/T Scat Pack represents a huge pony-per-dollar proposition, starting at $39,890 with four-piston Brembos at all corners, a performance suspension, and beefy 20-by-9-inch wheels.

For $47,390, the SRT 392 model adds a “Viper-inspired” aluminum hood with a long center-mounted cold-air intake, 9.5-inch-wide Slingshot wheels, massive 15.4-inch front brake rotors with six-piston Brembos, leather seats, an 18-speaker Harman/Kardon audio system, and a one-day driver-training experience hosted by Dodge at select racetracks. The SRT model also features SRT Performance Pages, which not only display real-time vehicle data and ancillary gauges, but also allow the driver to choose different drive modes for the powertrain and chassis. Default, Sport, and Track modes are available to tailor steering effort, the new three-mode adaptive suspension, and the automatic transmission’s shift schedule; each parameter can also be adjusted individually. As before, there also is a full suite of timers to document your own hot-shoe heroics.

Driven back-to-back at Portland International Raceway in eight-speed automatic form, the Scat Pack and the SRT 392 proved virtually identical in terms of on-track prowess. Both offered copious grip and shockingly neutral handling despite weighing more than two tons and packing as much as 55 percent of that mass atop the nose. The broad, flat hood makes any listing behavior quite apparent, and we were mildly surprised at their levels of body control. Turn-in is sharp, and what understeer exists is nicely mitigated by the gas pedal. The tail comes out quickly and easily, even with the stability control on, but it’s easily caught. In the SRT’s Sport mode, there’s more leeway within the stability programming and the electric power steering provides decent feedback. The multi-piston Brembos bolted to both models deliver outstanding stopping power with little to no fade, even after dozens of whirls around PIR.

VIEW 45 PHOTOS

And of course, the two cars are spectacularly fast. Acceleration is prodigious, and the ZF-designed and Chrysler-built eight-speed automatic always seemed to have the right gear at the ready as we prepared to power out of corners. Dodge expects that the 6.4-equipped Challengers should be able to hit 60 mph in roughly 4.5 seconds and post quarter-mile times in the mid-12s. We saw 60 mph fly by in 4.5 and traveled 1320 feet in 12.9 when we tested a six-speed manual Challenger SRT8 in 2011 upon the 392 engine’s introduction, so those numbers are eminently believable, although we’ll need to strap on our own test equipment to verify them, of course.

We also spent a couple of hours in the SRT 392 on scenic roads tracing the banks of the Columbia River Gorge. On that narrow tarmac, the car was a bit of a handful due to its inescapable mass and its ability to achieve high speed without much effort. The Dodge steered obediently, but confidence on twisty roads is ultimately curtailed by the car’s formidable width and limited outward visibility.

We did appreciate, however, the adjustable suspension, which made what could have been a lumpy ride into a serene one. And the exhaust note, which grows more raucous the deeper one dips into the gas, fades into the background so as not to annoy during extended freeway stints. In all, the Challenger is a much better cruiser than before, which is good since—even with the aforementioned improvements—it’s still no match for the Camaro or Mustang when the road goes all bendy.

Chester Copperpot

Unvaxxed Untermensch
TCG Premium
May 7, 2010
Blanco el Norte
Dodge is blowing out the 16 cars for the new T/A (literally reminiscent of 90s-00s GM sticker "SS"s). Same exact car as a SP, with different stickers commanding MSRP and people tripping over their dicks to own them. :rofl:

At least, that's what I've seen on challengertalk.

TCG Member 5219

TCG Elite Member
Mar 22, 2005
Is the Mag Ride really worth it the extra $8K? Assuming that like a dozen TCG members now have Scat Pack's I'd assume not

I didnt feel it was. In its normal mode, it was too squishy. And in track mode it was shatter your teeth stiff.

The scat seems to have a stiff suspension, but its forgiving like my mustang GT was that had the brembo package with the track suspension. It was tight on the street, but still makes you feel like you are driving a sports car.

Its no corvette, but it can get around corners rather quickly. I have a long sweeper by my house that I use to gauge my new cars handling. I was able to match the speeds I would take it with my mustang, in the scat. But still no match for what I was able to do with my last couple corvettes. But man its good though. I would have never thought about buying a challenger, if had not driven that green one with the auto 2 years ago. Since then I was unable to get it out of my mind.

dun4791

gypsy is a whore!
Mar 2, 2004
What ain't no country I ever heard of
Mag Ride and "SRT Pages".

And exterior badges.

Is the Mag Ride really worth it the extra $8K? Assuming that like a dozen TCG members now have Scat Pack's I'd assume not

Adjustable shocks on the srt are not magnetic. They are just adjustable valve shocks. For the 10-15k premium after incentives the srt will provide you with a different hood, half inch wider wheels with 275 tires, an extra piston in the front calipers, the non-magnetic adjustable shocks, body color spilled over black, flat bottom steering wheel, different leather seats, srt pages (don't really know wtf this is), and the srt experience which you can only do in Arizona now iirc.

Tight Lines

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 18, 2014
Missouri
Tight Lines. Im not totally sure I want to lower it, but what price would you need just so I know?

No worries, I have been hem hawing if I want to put them on but as I get older I'm leaning towards comfort over looks. :)

If you are going to negotiate we can start at $225 but I would prefer we just start and agree on a good price of $200. They are on Amazon for $290. LMK

TCG Member 5219

TCG Elite Member
Mar 22, 2005
Went out last night to get the car past that 500 mile barrier. Thats when the launch control gets unlocked. Not bad for 1500 RPM launch control, and laying big patches. I know this car will do it in 4 flat if I could get traction. There are 392 guys on DRs at the track, measuring sub 4 second 0-60 when being able to stick completely.

4C4EAF54-C1F4-4B37-8B70-8392BFD0EE88_zpsbtlitjhd.jpg

E47D19E4-F359-4839-AC12-4CF97179C6C1_zpsiaco0tjx.jpg

TCG Member 5219

TCG Elite Member
Mar 22, 2005
275 dw06 tires and 4.0 after a couple thousand miles is the norm on the street.

Hey do you have any rear end gear whine on decel around 43mph? Im getting some substantial whine on decel and light cruising around that 40-45mph range. Seems there was a TSB on this for the DS carrier bearing, and they were replacing DS's. Mine should have the upgraded part, but who knows at this point.

Hey do you have any rear end gear whine on decel around 43mph? Im getting some substantial whine on decel and light cruising around that 40-45mph range. Seems there was a TSB on this for the DS carrier bearing, and they were replacing DS's. Mine should have the upgraded part, but who knows at this point.

I don't have the whine in the 16, but I did start to get it in my 11 at around 65-70k, exactly like you describe, it has around 100k on it and whine hasn't gotten any worse the last time I drove it. I notice no issues other than the whine, and that car has lead a horrible, very hard life. I was under the impression the whine was from the front pumpkin bearing and not the driveshaft. The 11 has the getrag and there were many with that bearing problem, but afaik zf supplies the 15+ and you are the first I've heard of with the noise

We can see if we have the same part number ds, maybe they have or have had a bad batch? Maybe it is the ds.... Dunno. Mine is a mid year 16 build

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thread Info