ZXMustang's 2017 Camaro SS 1LE

TCG Member 5219

TCG Elite Member
Mar 22, 2005
So took the car out tonight for almost 3 hours for some "break-in miles". Basically I took it out and raped on it for 2 of the three hours. This car makes you a great driver Im telling you. 1st and 2nd are a joke, even with the 305 wide rears nice and hot. I take back what I said about the active rev matching. Thats hero stuff man. Its so cool. You can just straight rip on this car and it seems to love it. The no-lift shifting is a tad sketchy from 2-3. It hits so hard, the car gets unsettled.

Sport mode with all the nannies watered down is perfect for the street. I can stand on it turning into streets, and it will let you hang it out just a tad before it reels the rear back in. Same with getting it loose in a straight line. This car is just sick.

As for this vs the charger. This is a scalpel, and the charger is a wooden baseball bat. The charger lets you relax while you drive. The camaro 1LE makes you stay tense like you are just about to make a pass at the drag strip. I had to pull over and stretch a few times. The recaro is on the edge of being too small for me. But Im not a thin guy, so thats my problem. Everything on the inside is jet cockpit like. I mean you are strapped in. This car is small on the inside. Once I get the windows tinted dark, its going to be like sitting in a tank Im sure.

So I did what I normally do with cars like this. Take them out to the boonies and get lost. Then let the nav bring me back home. I love doing this at night. I have found some awesome roads up here in the north just by accident. And while Im out, Im doing WOT runs and power/speed shifting here and there. Im back in the saddle now I can say. At first I was forgetting to shift, and putting my left leg up thinking I wouldnt be needing it. You have to get back into the muscle memory zone where you dont relax that far. But its like I never stopped driving manual.

As for the car as a whole. This is such a complete opposite from the charger. Im still bummed about missing the Uconnect. But aside from that, Im all in on this camaro. Besides it also has the apple carplay and that works great. Identical to the charger. I took a few more pics too. Check them out.

6B4F1554-3878-4939-BFF1-23F9BDF056A2_zpsq4l5cetq.jpg

7BB5E76A-BBDB-4CA8-A656-1FD7C51DB85C_zpsbmtkdgbk.jpg

AF71CAB0-11FB-4797-A13D-EAB9DF0FB1C1_zpstdm9pneq.jpg

90807991-0A85-4C12-9F0F-81FB2EC2A38A_zpsacvplww9.jpg

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
So took the car out tonight for almost 3 hours for some "break-in miles". Basically I took it out and raped on it for 2 of the three hours. This car makes you a great driver Im telling you. 1st and 2nd are a joke, even with the 305 wide rears nice and hot. I take back what I said about the active rev matching. Thats hero stuff man. Its so cool. You can just straight rip on this car and it seems to love it. The no-lift shifting is a tad sketchy from 2-3. It hits so hard, the car gets unsettled.

Sport mode with all the nannies watered down is perfect for the street. I can stand on it turning into streets, and it will let you hang it out just a tad before it reels the rear back in. Same with getting it loose in a straight line. This car is just sick.

As for this vs the charger. This is a scalpel, and the charger is a wooden baseball bat. The charger lets you relax while you drive. The camaro 1LE makes you stay tense like you are just about to make a pass at the drag strip. I had to pull over and stretch a few times. The recaro is on the edge of being too small for me. But Im not a thin guy, so thats my problem. Everything on the inside is jet cockpit like. I mean you are strapped in. This car is small on the inside. Once I get the windows tinted dark, its going to be like sitting in a tank Im sure.

So I did what I normally do with cars like this. Take them out to the boonies and get lost. Then let the nav bring me back home. I love doing this at night. I have found some awesome roads up here in the north just by accident. And while Im out, Im doing WOT runs and power/speed shifting here and there. Im back in the saddle now I can say. At first I was forgetting to shift, and putting my left leg up thinking I wouldnt be needing it. You have to get back into the muscle memory zone where you dont relax that far. But its like I never stopped driving manual.

As for the car as a whole. This is such a complete opposite from the charger. Im still bummed about missing the Uconnect. But aside from that, Im all in on this camaro. Besides it also has the apple carplay and that works great. Identical to the charger. I took a few more pics too. Check them out.

solid write up.

what roads did you discoveR?

TCG Member 5219

TCG Elite Member
Mar 22, 2005
solid write up.

what roads did you discoveR?

There are a couple roads in spring grove that are nice. One is like Sunset. Nice and straight, plus new asphalt. Also in Richmond there are a few. Like Solon rd. Great little back roads to see what the car can do. And man is it fun to drive. Total drivers car. I cant imagine commuting in it tho. Such a tight fit for me, plus the car is razor sharp. Totally different animal than the charger.

TCG Member 5219

TCG Elite Member
Mar 22, 2005
ah i thought you were maybe talking even further north, but yeah, out that way has some solid roads.

I go out west too, past woodstock. But the roads get bumpy. This car requires glass smooth roads. Even in touring mode, the suspension is stiff. In sport or track mode, its teeth rattling stiff. But on perfect roads, its something to behold.

bikrboy128

Some say.....
TCG Premium
Jul 15, 2007
Wheaton
I would do full exhaust and a tune and call it a day. :run:

this. especially if it'sd going to see track time. keep it stock, reliable, and balanced.

i wasn't a fan of these cars when they came out, but i have to say they've grown on me. especially that blue. it's an amazing performing car for the money, that's for sure.

TCG Member 5219

TCG Elite Member
Mar 22, 2005
If I was in the market to replace my Mustang, I would buy a 1LE. My only concern is the bathtub feel of the cockpit. My brother rented a Camaro SS when we are down in Florida two weeks from now, so I am going to see if I like it after extended driving.

This is true. You really are IN this car. Feels just like my last couple C6's. Very tight but not MRI machine tight. Meaning you wont be claustrophobic. I dont mind the lack of visibility. Matter of fact Im getting 15% tints all the way around. Should be very private.

Right now Im still working on what to do about the "rock chip" zone in front of the rear tires. Im getting prices all over the board to custom make clear pieces to cover it. I think my normal tint guy will be getting the business on both that and the tints. Most guys are buying these trucker mud flaps to cut down the rocks. No fucking way am I putting those on my car. Even the GM splash guards that are color matched look like shit.

ragingclue

What's a "Super Bowl"?
TCG Premium
Dec 19, 2013
The ones from ZL1addons aren't too gaudy but I'm not sure how much functionality they lose from being prettier.

Not sure what else you can do when you've got steamrollers for wheels though.

I don't mind splashguards if they're doing their job fully. I know the ones on the SS are bulky as hell (they're the OE GM/Holden ones), but it is real nice now to not have good portions of the car getting blasted by rocks, pebbles, sand, whatever. I can't imagine what it's like with a car like yours where your wheels really are out there.

Get that self healing xpel or whatever it is. Sure it's expensive but it's what ballers do, no?

TCG Member 5219

TCG Elite Member
Mar 22, 2005
The ones from ZL1addons aren't too gaudy but I'm not sure how much functionality they lose from being prettier.

Not sure what else you can do when you've got steamrollers for wheels though.

I don't mind splashguards if they're doing their job fully. I know the ones on the SS are bulky as hell (they're the OE GM/Holden ones), but it is real nice now to not have good portions of the car getting blasted by rocks, pebbles, sand, whatever. I can't imagine what it's like with a car like yours where your wheels really are out there.

Get that self healing xpel or whatever it is. Sure it's expensive but it's what ballers do, no?

Yeah thats what it will be. xpel.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
With the xpel you still have rocks hitting it. The potential for rocks to hit it and give you a rock chip is still there. Where are as rock guards don't let rocks hit the area. I would rather not have them hit the car at all.

I had JLT carbon fiber rock guards on my 2011. They looked awesome and worked great. The ZL1 Addon versions I have on my 2015 are very crude in comparison. But you know what, they do their job with the wide tires and aggressive offset wheels. You don't really see them and they do their job. So I am fine with them. Eventually, if something nicer comes along I might swap them out. But honestly, I will probably just leave the ones that are on there and not sweat the design.

124d6bd5a1686c672163cc9db86709d6.jpg

188929ee250832b2790a56bb23a0ba8d.jpg

813f707472960ce12cb4e756dc9de53d.jpg

dc4af6f1033dde81f46ff7b98e898704.jpg

huh, the pics were much larger on my phone.

TCG Member 5219

TCG Elite Member
Mar 22, 2005
I had JLT carbon fiber rock guards on my 2011. They looked awesome and worked great. The ZL1 Addon versions I have on my 2015 are very crude in comparison. But you know what, they do their job with the wide tires and aggressive offset wheels. You don't really see them and they do their job. So I am fine with them. Eventually, if something nicer comes along I might swap them out. But honestly, I will probably just leave the ones that are on there and not sweat the design.

124d6bd5a1686c672163cc9db86709d6.jpg

188929ee250832b2790a56bb23a0ba8d.jpg

813f707472960ce12cb4e756dc9de53d.jpg

dc4af6f1033dde81f46ff7b98e898704.jpg

This is what the ZL1 addons one looks like. Still too much for me.

2016%20camaro%20splash%20guards.JPG

Thread Info