🔧 BUILD Z28 - 1999 Camaro Z28 - 5.3/S475/80E

Rooter

Oct 26, 2020
Hey all, this is my ongoing build that will never be finished and is always changing because of boredom and wanting to try new things. My Dad gave me this car when I was a freshman in high school (Spoiled as hell but I've learned so much with it) and it's been through a few iterations since then. This is the most recent setup. The powerplant is your typical gen 3/4 sludge-puppy junkyard 5.3 with a quarter million miles that I made the mistake of opening up and letting all the magic out. I tore it all the way down and cleaned out the decade and a half of sludge. Bearings looked great so I gapped the rings to .028" top and bottom and slapped it back together with a Sloppy Stage 2, some 799 heads off of my dads 2000 SS Camaro, as well as the lifters that he threw in the trash that I fished out because they looked way better than the ones I had. The trans is an early 4l80e that whines in first gear like an old school bus, I threw in new clutches and steels and an HD2 kit as well. I'm running the Circle D budget 80e converter, havnt had the chance to drive it with this converter yet but the customer service and buying experience through them was phenomenal. Rear end is still the stock 7.5" with 2.73 gears which Isn't ideal by any means but I have a goal of running tens in the quarter out of pure spite of everyone who says they blow up with stock power. Previous turbo setup was a cheap CX Racing kit that never fit right, it worked alright but just always bugged me. So while I was swapping engines I decided to make a new setup. I went with 2" inside diameter SCH40 for the up pipes and kept it fully divided to try and make a responsive setup. wastegates dump into the 4" downpipe and I'm planning on running a 4" loud valve in the future but for now I've got it necking down to 3" out the back through a chambered hooker muffler. Single 450 in the tank, running pump 91 will be flex fuel at some point in the future though. was using HP Tuners but am switching to EFI Live as that's what I use for Duramax tuning and don't like switching between platforms haha. Definitely leaving out some info so feel free to ask if anyone has questions!
IMG_2444.JPG
IMG-3466.jpg
IMG-3485.jpg
IMG-3734.jpg
IMG-3850.jpg

IMG-3386.jpg

Lead Pipe

TCG Sub-par Member
TCG Premium
Nov 4, 2010
Nice, pretty similar to my T/A build (thread is here but buried from inactivity I'm sure). I have a junk yard 5.3, unopened with a set of milled 799's, LS6 intake and an old TTix 76mm turbo kit with an air to water. TH400, 9" with a 3.25 gear. Should make decent power and my goal is single digits. My plan is to refocus on that car and have it running by the spring track day.

Reactions: CMNTMXR57

Rooter

Oct 26, 2020
fuckin brave with that rear end, i like it.

why dueling wastegates?
Hahaha I have nothing to lose. I think the 2.73 gearing has saved it for the past 3 years, I can’t really hit the tire hard at all. Fastest pass was an 11.42 with a 1.85 60 ft lol. And if it breaks I’ll swap an 8.8 in. I wanted to do a True divided Hot side and I think running a merge from both sides into one wastegate may have negated any benefits of the divided hot side unless I was able to keep the merge divided until the gate but that sounded like a lot of extra work for something that may or may not work so I kept it “simple” and ran two gates, one on each side. Though that ended up being a lot of work too haha.

Reactions: Yaj Yak

Rooter

Oct 26, 2020
Nice, pretty similar to my T/A build (thread is here but buried from inactivity I'm sure). I have a junk yard 5.3, unopened with a set of milled 799's, LS6 intake and an old TTix 76mm turbo kit with an air to water. TH400, 9" with a 3.25 gear. Should make decent power and my goal is single digits. My plan is to refocus on that car and have it running by the spring track day.
Where does your turbo sit?

Rooter

Oct 26, 2020
I remember back in the F-Body days, guys were breaking them simply doing burnouts on drag radials. Thankfully mine never broke, but. :D
Definitely. Seems like it’s almost always the guys that have 6 speed cars that throw slicks or radials on and do a 5k clutch drop on a prepped track and then they’re shocked the 7.5” ring gear lost all of its teeth ? I’ve also got one of those girdle covers that puts pressure on the bearing caps, maybe that helps more than I thought it would

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info