Drag to reposition cover

BUILD Z mfn swift

OP
RdRnnR

RdRnnR

wannabe racecar builder
Reaction score
Ive totally thought about separately wiring everything and tryin that since I have an extra box already. Puttin that pcm in the other car is a good idea but where its done it on two its really hard for me to think its in that. Yes turbo car is the drive by cable one. I guess really it's more along the lines of what Jon said there i just hope it doesn't go south. I'm gonna pull that bird in when I get some time and hope to God it's just the rocker panels but I kinda doubt it. Really the other thing about it is it would basically be a body swap other than the k member and motor anyway since I'd be goin for gears and tranny and swappin pedals and all that on top of it. Probably the sissy way out to just throw gaskets and the injectors and pipes at the other car and flash my bird file back in and then put the tables on top of that just in case it is a problem in the os on the red car but I doubt it. It's just a real hard choice to be honest. Maybe a body swap is the thing to do here but I'm not entirely sure. I'd also be havin to swap the hvac box I went Jason Voorhees on to clear the o2 sensor that shouldnt have been there in the first place. The other thing is it's 2021 and while I don't really foresee myself goin out of business with a solid ag foundation but I have the title for the bird in my hands whereas the other one got tied up into the llc when things started gettin real. Just alot to think about and about as big a decision as leavin an abusive relationship really.

I just thinkin bout how nice it'd be to just bang a converter and servo in that white one and my God it'd look hot with tinted windows and my vette knockoffs. Keep in mind the camaros got little rust spots on it as well as the rockers bein caved in from bein dropped. Otherwise the body panels on the bird are straight and and with the camaro I'm gonna have to paint and throw on my fenders bumper cover do rockers anyway and the passenger door has that ridiculous sag to it and it's not in the hinge the front part of the door is actually the weak spot and who knows when that issues gonna get worse too. Bottom line is these are beat up old toys that have been rode hard and put away wet and I think there's a little rot in all of em be it electrical or that crusty brown and orange lookin stuff

OP
RdRnnR

RdRnnR

wannabe racecar builder
Reaction score
Besides that there's a really good chance of me buildin another set of manifolds anyway so all im really gonna need is another t4 flange and set of injectors and well be back in business with the red one anyway. Someday. I just gotta get goin on what I can so I can put this bitch down the track in April I'm runnin out of time

OP
RdRnnR

RdRnnR

wannabe racecar builder
Reaction score
Well, this should take care of the wideband messin with stuff, and make life a lil easier when it comes to doin books. I never can do things without bein completely over the top not gonna lie pretty stoked to have scanner on a tablet I can run around under the hood with.

Haven't touched the cars in a few days got sacked with work with the sun comin back out. Needed it tho and it's been a nice break from fightin this thing. Hope to get some progress made this weekend

Attachments

OP
RdRnnR

RdRnnR

wannabe racecar builder
Reaction score
Guys I really don't think this is gonna be in the sensor wires. Messing with literally anything including unplugging the alternator messes with her. Refuses to go cl at all at this point and when commanded dives rich to where its tryin to kill it. Idles in open at 14.3 to 14.8 but unplugging maf and it again dives so I know it's not running off the map sensor. I'm so completely lost here I don't even know what to think anymore. Guess I'm gonna try and go after those pins for sensors just to make damn sure but I'm betting I end up rewiring this whole car before I find whatevers causin this.
Snapchat-1744189910.jpg

OP
RdRnnR

RdRnnR

wannabe racecar builder
Reaction score
No. When you first start it I swear I can hear somethin down by the wastegate and it sits 16.8ish when it warms up 18.5ish then after I boost it 20+ but I wouldn't think that'd kick it out of cl?

OP
RdRnnR

RdRnnR

wannabe racecar builder
Reaction score
Also downloaded a comp g file and by comparison I've got way more fuel in my maf so I may do some olayin here. Maybe it is that damn wastegate. Boost testing it its tight to 15 psi doesn't loose a thing but vacuum could be a different story pullin the other direction I spose

OP
RdRnnR

RdRnnR

wannabe racecar builder
Reaction score
I'm at a point here guys. Absolutely nothing I do fixes this. I've even gone back to stock file with just injector data and o2 signals straight to pcm. Tried every wire and sensor on it. Different files. Different box. Grounds. Fuseboxes. Every. Little. Thing. I can think of. And it just gets worse when I mess with it.

Just deleted a long paragraph about movin back to that bird but I think I need to swap harnesses at this point and hope for the best and know that I may as well be prepared to get my tranny rear end and might as well just drop the better k member and drive by wire that goes with the harness and have it all pcm correct.

Is a body swap even a thing on these. Is it even worth it knowing I'm gonna ultimately gut the hvac of the bird cuz I want ac back in it anyway? Or does it make more sense just to fix the intake on this one and throw the turbo at it? I'm not lookin for an easy out I just don't wanna swap stuff over and have the same mess when I know that all works

OP
RdRnnR

RdRnnR

wannabe racecar builder
Reaction score
[/URL]

I'm sure you guys pry saw this but I started in on the other one tonight and was pleasantly surprised.

Remembering back to when I first got this thing it has wiring issues behind the dash and I was fightin with it for quite a while over the blower speed not goin high no matter what I did with relays and the cigarette lighter fryin stuff. I'm would imagine that to be where the issue lies but I'll come back to this one at a later date and probably just gonna put it back to na in the meantime. My patience with it is shot and I can only push against the same wall for so long before I gotta move forward in another direction

OP
RdRnnR

RdRnnR

wannabe racecar builder
Reaction score
No 7 or 8 or 18, no boom boom
I mean with those and a screwdriver I could take the whole damn thing down I'm glad I finally did this tho. My headers probably weren't all that sealed up and I feel like it could've been a contributing factor here. Definitely gonna brush up on my welding skills before they hit the bird.

Also. This thing is alot bigger than I remember and it's not much fun to get in and out of there. And I've kinda gone full tilt on better parts for the other car even tho I shouldn't have so this is for the best

The big question now is what to do with this one. But time will tell I suppose. Tractors are comin out of the sheds for the year and I've gotta get this jammed in the white one in a months time. Back to normal life thank God
Screenshot_20210307-194444.jpg

OP
RdRnnR

RdRnnR

wannabe racecar builder
Reaction score
Excuse the rtv mess but ummm...does the bolt that holds the earlier purge valve bracket down happen to hold vacuum like I assume it most likely does? Cuz ummmm some dumbass...bout has the harness torn off this one and now that most everything's off of it and it happened to have been hiding the fact that I most likely forgot to put another bolt back....I probably am gonna take these newer style manifolds off the white one and build this one back up after I get that one together I think...after I go thru every inch of that harness...
Snapchat-1687257284.jpg

OP
RdRnnR

RdRnnR

wannabe racecar builder
Reaction score
I haven't given up on this one yet guys although the 3800 is probably to become a spare for my firebird.

Scored a 5.3 rotating assembly complete with harness and accessories for a couple hundred bucks including an stg2 cam. Just gotta put it together. Dig up a gt45 clone some snake eaters and a v8 trans and go for the full on trash can beast build this hoopty deserves

As much as I love my 3.8s I still wanna win races and have somethin that dominates wherever it goes. Sides that it'll give me a reason to keep my bird nice after gettin a season under her belt.

OP
RdRnnR

RdRnnR

wannabe racecar builder
Reaction score
It's almost staggering how much I've learned in the last few months by gettin serious on the tuning side of things. And also I'm really glad I grenaded the sorry excuse for a bottom end in the other car and I saved this beautiful hunk of chevy out back behind the shop. The angled intake, the lack of tac nonsense, even the t5 which should be fine on a dyno and maybe I'll steal that other tranny and harness yet.

Anyways thanks to my kickass insurance agent z's legal again and pullin her back up by the shop was almost as good a feeling as turnin the dyno on for the first time. Time to give her the life she deserved

Snapchat-121442681.jpg

OP
RdRnnR

RdRnnR

wannabe racecar builder
Reaction score
She's pissy, and the box I stuffed in her probably has the bird drive by wire file in it. But she drove into the shop cacklin off the headers on her own power and there's no pile of fluids under her yet. Might be a long night but I got her in before the stormy weather tonight and we might make her tomorrow boys.

Snapchat-606379593.jpg

OP
RdRnnR

RdRnnR

wannabe racecar builder
Reaction score
Pretty sure I got the hot side together as good as it's gonna get for now. These headers come off again there's gonna be some welding involved or I'm usin my 00 Manis and makin my own. Cheap pieces of not fitting right junk get worse every time I mess with em.

Pulled the 3 lb spring and loaded the 10 in. I know this one will take it she ate 16 without blowin not that she was happy about it or I'm tryin to push that on stock springs.

Down to the cold side which should slap right in, changing the oil that looks like hell, and swappin what I can for interior over and gettin a couple gauges put in her. If it don't rain she should at least be ready to play a little bit IMG_1623413896298.jpg Snapchat-564063928.jpg

OP
RdRnnR

RdRnnR

wannabe racecar builder
Reaction score
You guys will get a kick out of this shit, zzp and their certain red car today 😏

m.facebook.com/groups/3800PERFORMANCE/permalink/4087724191312482/

OP
RdRnnR

RdRnnR

wannabe racecar builder
Reaction score
GTPpower GTPpower if ya beat me there shoot me a message and let me know how busy it is lol. I can't imagine anybodys pushin and shovin to run in the heat but ill be a bit yet. I gotta put my interior back together quick see if I can make a couple pulls change oil and wheels go get some corn and see where i end up yet lol. Wish me luck Screenshot_20210611-143904_Facebook.jpg

OP
RdRnnR

RdRnnR

wannabe racecar builder
Reaction score
GTPpower GTPpower stompin me by ten seconds while my car spit corn fumes all over the place. Its gotta be vac big time here maybe a cracked plug up top too. At any rate highest kr was .6 and there's nothin leakin on her so she's already in good shape. Lil here lil there and she'll be the car I always wanted her to be pretty quick.

Good to finally meet you and your buddies man sorry me and my car were hot mess express today 😂
Snapchat-1133439645.jpg Snapchat-1414015676.jpg Snapchat-921789946.jpg

Turbocharged400sbc

Welllllllllll ya knowwwwwww.....
Reaction score
Shit your still running the NA coils aren't you.

If they're anything like the L67 Blue coils you'll have something that feels like spark breaking up on the top end but it's just one or more of the coils is weaker than the others. I went through nearly two dozen blue l67 coils before I found the three minty perfect ones that are in the turbo Regal now.

If you have one of those plastic spark tester thingajiggers unscrew it out slowly as you check each coil during hot cranking. Look for the one without the nice bright spark kernel.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom