Drag to reposition cover

BUILD Z mfn swift

OP
RdRnnR

RdRnnR

wannabe racecar builder
Reaction score
That really was all the effort I thought it was gonna be by the time I pushed the snow off. She didn't wanna roll over at all but sure as hell bout the third slow roll she fired right off albeit pissy about it being no degrees outside. Managed to keep my foot off the gas and rocked it back and forth a couple times and bout slid over into the house but we made it and it feels like it's been forever
Snapchat-629605516.jpg

OP
RdRnnR

RdRnnR

wannabe racecar builder
Reaction score
So, I get sidetracked really easy if you haven't quite figured that out yet. Spose that's typical for someone that thinks runnin a diesel heater and spray paintin a cold side in a not so well ventilated area sounds like a great idea screw it tho it'll look badass hopefully and if I can get this wideband in and the dash back together and fix my vacuum lines shell at least be happy again View attachment 81281
Snapchat-120215052.jpg

Turbocharged400sbc

Welllllllllll ya knowwwwwww.....
Reaction score
in the thumbnail it looks like you might have severed your own head with a puddle of blood nearby, thought it was some sort of postmortem selfie....

OP
RdRnnR

RdRnnR

wannabe racecar builder
Reaction score
I'm not anywhere near that mad with it yet just spinnin circles between 3 different things on it mostly

OP
RdRnnR

RdRnnR

wannabe racecar builder
Reaction score
Man I sure hope that red comes out in another coat or three, candy dog shit is not the color I was goin for here
Snapchat-250083125.jpg

OP
RdRnnR

RdRnnR

wannabe racecar builder
Reaction score
its an oem color, called "lipstick on a turd"
Sounds like somethin they'd put on the new ev stuff "millennial tree bark"

It may just be the lights in here I've got a couple good coats on it with the diesel heater goin and it kinda seems to be doin what I wanted it to when I hit it with a light. See what a couple more will do they make more lol
Snapchat-1972137579.jpg

OP
RdRnnR

RdRnnR

wannabe racecar builder
Reaction score
Thanks man. Not too shabby for a rattle can anyway

OP
RdRnnR

RdRnnR

wannabe racecar builder
Reaction score
And the dash is back together short of splicing into another serial cable and makin a nice lil port up there in the switch panel. Thought I was gonna hate different guages but now that they're on I totally dig it because it's easier to look at what I want to instead of havin to figure out which guage I'm lookin at. Score one for glowshift and keepin my truboost so I can be a dick with a scramble button

Now that that's done and the worlds on lockdown from the cold I'm gonna jump under the hood and fix these vacuum issues once and for all which might include that pretty turbo if I decide to jump into that. Minimum needs to run in case I need the shop for work

I want these damn bird door panels in it too so I can throw these mismatched fuckers out back in it for later as well. Need to get some of this shit out of here and get it cleaned up I'm gettin tired of lookin for shit every time I wanna do somethin lol

I'm really lookin at her now like damn. I've actually made it a pretty nice car and come along ways from a torn up leather rattle can interior beat on shitbox. But maybe the real thing is everything I've done on this car I've progressed along with it. I wasn't on a real good path when I started all this I was drinkin and gettin myself in trouble and even got bad with it just sittin and ordering parts forever. But. I've learned and grown so much because of it its not even funny. I've had wrenches in my hands as long as I can remember and bein able to finally put it to use and see it all take form is definitely hittin a spot right now. I'm so proud of this piece of shit I can't even put it into words guys. Big thanks for the knowledge and helpin me along the way without you guys it woulda been just another 8 lb spring half-assed rich idle slopmobile that seemed cool instead of the finely tuned land rocket she's becoming. Things a 90s kids high school wet dream View attachment 81332View attachment 81333
Snapchat-1045785035.jpg

OP
RdRnnR

RdRnnR

wannabe racecar builder
Reaction score
Made some definite progress last night. Basically redid all the vacuum lines and routed everything all nice and directly so I don't have to worry about pinched lines or leaks, boost tested it to bout 12 pounds and shes tight enough now when you shut her off you can see the vacuum bleed off on the guage instead of just flatlining.

While I was down there I decided to try and help my intake Temps out cuz this thing ate every bit of the heat off the wastegate underneath. Cheap lil ebay shield trimmed up to fit under there should definitely improve that situation but I think its gonna hurt some airflow as well. I'll circle back to that one and maybe vent my hood if it becomes any real concern. I've also got a black billet grill for her so I can open up that plastic and get some more airflow to my intercooler so that should help there too.

Now.....this bastard is stilllll acting up. Didnt put the scanner on it but it's nothing it hasn't been doin. Fights closed loop like hell seems like it tries to kick over goes lean as hell kicks back over to like 11 rich back over to lean back to 13 back to 17 once in a while finds a home close enough to stoich to catch the o2 sensors and it'll hold 14.7 almost perfect. One tap of the throttle and it acts a mess again. Even if I don't touch throttle at all I have closed loop commanded at like 108 degrees and whatever my delay is and it finally gets there or at least it's version of trying about 160⁰. No misfires no rough idle. Soon as it's in closed loop it purrs like a kitten but obviously bouncing back and forth it starts acting up. Stock map sensor and table are in it but it could definitely use some ve tuning to clean that up in the meantime

I'm at a loss at what it could be unless this computers fried. I have that 7440 pcm but with it being a different year I'm almost wondering if I'm going to have to repin everything for it? I don't care bout the hp unlock credits to program it at this point but between hp and dhp can I write my vin to the 7440 once its in and just do it that way maybe? Is it simethin stupid like my iac messin with me? I know once of the cat sensors was cut maybe there's a possibility of those wires shortin out causing it but nothing seems to have moved when it's doing all this so it doesn't seem to act like a pinched wire. It really makes me think its in the box or that my iac flow is all screwed from blocking my pcv maybe? At any rate if I could get that sorted out and get her to act right I really think she's gonna be where she needs to be to throw that new snail and gate on and go play.

Might try and find some time just to plug that other box in and see what it does bit from my diggin before none of the pcm pinouts seem to match what I have. I've ran down all the injector and front o2 wires to make sure there's no issues there long ago when I was fightin misfires so I don't think there's an issue there unless I gotta split that whole damn harness and lay it all out which I really don't wanna do. I don't really wanna strip the bird real bad now that I'm gettin a title and was gonna run the t5 for a while til it went but I guess I maybe be tearing everything out of that one is gonna be what I have to do. May try logging that iac to see what its doin too. Seems like that's the only thing that could make that much difference unless it really is just that messed up.

Always had a thing for pretty ones that like to go batshit and act stupid. Why not my car too I guess View attachment 81359View attachment 81360
Snapchat-800570577.jpg

OP
RdRnnR

RdRnnR

wannabe racecar builder
Reaction score
What are your fuel trims showing when you go into closed loop?
When it goes into cl they're in pretty decent shape ill get my laptop back on it here in a few and make damn sure nothins changed as far as that goes. When it goes lean it drops from 18.2 vac to like 16 and when it goes rich it'll be at 18.5 which is kinda what's pointing me to the iac. Brake booster seems fine doesn't mess with anything til you let off brakes then bounces just a lil lean for a second before it catches back up again. I even capped off the turbo and ran my air in thru the vacuum line goin to my boost guage and any tiny little leak I fixed so I really don't think that's where the issue is anymore. Seems like somethins opening up somewhere and it doesn't like it at all

Turbocharged400sbc

Reaction score
You do know that the computer switches between rich and lean to make sure that the Catalyst gets enough oxygen to be able to oxidize any unburned hydrocarbons.
There should be at least one rich to lean transition per second preferably two

OP
RdRnnR

RdRnnR

wannabe racecar builder
Reaction score
You do know that the computer switches between rich and lean to make sure that the Catalyst gets enough oxygen to be able to oxidize any unburned hydrocarbons.
There should be at least one rich to lean transition per second preferably two
This is bad like buries the guage lean and hangs there for a bit then kicks clear back over to 11 and hangs there and runs like trash in between and I should have all the cat stuff failed. I wouldn't care if it'd warm up and go into closed loop like it should but you really gotta fuck with the throttle til it decides it wants to and then not touch it at all to get it to stay there. I'll get a scan and try and upload it from my laptop so you guys can see what's goin on but I'm gonna have to splice into that serial cable so you can see what the widebands doin since o2s only read when they want to.. and I can't remember what color was what so ill have to get my multimeter out on that again.

Unless I dig the generator out for the diesel heater it's gonna be a cold bitch in the shop tho. We've got rollin blackouts to conserve power and saw -26 actual with -40+ wind chills. Damn waters froze so I gotta get heat goin in my well house too. The things I deal with just so I can live out of town and rev my car up at 4 am I tell ya

OP
RdRnnR

RdRnnR

wannabe racecar builder
Reaction score
It's a cold sonofabitch today.
It's crazy I don't remember anything like it. Powers back on but they just called school tomorrow so I guess I'm pushing work off again maybe ill get some more done around here.

Feel bad for the cattle guys with babies droppin, that's gotta be pure hell right now.

OP
RdRnnR

RdRnnR

wannabe racecar builder
Reaction score
Idk if you guys have seen this monstrosity yet but this is my obd2/serial/USB portable tuning apparatus I put together for doin my ltz and to make a lil extra to support this habit lol.

After dethawing my wellhouse, pipes and heat pump today I'm not in the mood to deal with doin it right so I'm just gonna hook up and get you guys a scan on a guage I know reads right so you can see what's goin on. Found some melted ass harness goin to passenger knock sensor and post cat o2 sensor so I cut it back to the o2 sensor wire and I guess I might be goin further up. Gonna log iac counts on this one too just cuz I swear it's like somethin opening and closing
Snapchat-1117904995.jpg

OP
RdRnnR

RdRnnR

wannabe racecar builder
Reaction score
Ok I think I had a breakthrough here o2s were dead for a solid 12 minutes til I smashed the gas then they kicked on and started oscillating. Touch of the gas and maxed out and would kinda halfway show activity when I mess with the throttle so now knowing it's totally in the circuit and they read fine when they work igot pissed at the way it acted and put the 7440 I got for a 99 bird in it hopin the pinouts are the same but that car would probably be drive by wire where my 98 is cable.

Car now tries to start smells rich as hell but I'm guessing that has to do with stock injector data in the file. Do I dare try and write my camaro file vin and all over to it? I'm not even sure what computer was in this thing the stickers torn off the back and the mount and brackets have been molested pretty bad pointing to prior issues. Kinda just don't wanna waste 100 bucks on credits if the pinouts are all wrong and I can't find a pinout for a 98 to save my life. If this is gonna involve turn into swappin bodys I might just pull out and move back to the bird at least I know its not haunted.

And sad day my tailpipe wideband reads about a solid point lean from the one in my downpipe so I guess at least it was safe and keepin me rich lol

OP
RdRnnR

RdRnnR

wannabe racecar builder
Reaction score
Alright anyways back to it. Post cat o2 harness wasn't in good shape but I couldn't find anything shorted. Been up and down thru the tune and there's no reason in there. Combed the pid list and shut everything down to a single bank so when I get done doin dad things for the night I'm gonna load it back up and do some more troubleshooting but the thoughts crossed my mind that maybe that post cat spot needs to be hooked up to complete a circuit? May wire one in just to see if that's a thing. I'm probably just gonna try and dig into all I can next few days on her, if I've gotta get back behind there for the harness I may as well be doin the rockers turbo and straightening out a couple header leaks and stuff. Time to get her off shitbox level.

Also managed to write os and vin to that 7440 without bricking it and did make quite a bit of improvement if not for this cl thing I need to go back to John's thread and see why this one but if I remember it was a knock sensor thing and I probably need those specs out of the stock file?

And I pulled a 47 out of the maf on my ltz today with this cold weather with like .3 kr so I was pretty stoked about that View attachment 81587
Snapchat-128083168.jpg

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
Reaction score
I just unplugged my post cat O2 and ziptied the connector to a random hole on the T5. As for the KR stuff, Brian turned those suckers off. I'm glad to hear you had luck with figuring out the 7440 with DHP. I'm more inclined to do that now. My kit even came with a bench tune harness.

Turbocharged400sbc

Reaction score
The oxygen sensors are independent on both the heater control and the signal and Signal ground circuits.

I do believe the heater grounds are joined together and end up at g101 but it might be anything up to g103 depending on the vehicle.

Downstream stuff is not anything to worry about and I would end up deleting the relevant codes. Make sure you also disable the test otherwise it will still try to run the test even though it never reports a code.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom