Drag to reposition cover

BUILD Z mfn swift

OP
RdRnnR

RdRnnR

wannabe racecar builder
Reaction score
So. Couple new injectors and she purrs like a kitten on the gate. Feels pretty flat but this things had this little tick of kr in it since I put it together and id really like to figure out why my fuel trims turn on and off whenever they feel like it
Snapchat-1438425932.jpg

DOC-Z

Chickun maka LOUSY housspaat!
Reaction score
Nice Camaro!

I used to have a 3800 Firebird 5-Speed back in the day. I thought about doing the turbo swap to it, but those were only pipe dreams and ideas.
I can see the US version of the 3800 intake tucked in there, but I remember some guys on 3800PRO and some V6 F-Body forums were all about the Aussie 3800 upper intake. I was wondering if you ever saw one of them? Pictured is what I stole off the inter-webs after a google search. It looks kinda cool and not something you see in the states at all.. . . and not sure if it would work on your application. Still, if you were still working on it, it could be something interesting for ya.....

ANYWAY, nice looking ride!!!

Picture-072.jpg

Picture-065.jpg

image_1433296527830.jpg

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
Reaction score
Nice Camaro!

I used to have a 3800 Firebird 5-Speed back in the day. I thought about doing the turbo swap to it, but those were only pipe dreams and ideas.
I can see the US version of the 3800 intake tucked in there, but I remember some guys on 3800PRO and some V6 F-Body forums were all about the Aussie 3800 upper intake. I was wondering if you ever saw one of them? Pictured is what I stole off the inter-webs after a google search. It looks kinda cool and not something you see in the states at all.. . . and not sure if it would work on your application. Still, if you were still working on it, it could be something interesting for ya.....

View attachment 75599

View attachment 75600

View attachment 75601
Those are neat, but they're really expensive to get over here. I think you'd be much better off upgrading the throttle and porting an F-body intake. A flipped FWD intake would be a good swap too albeit a lot of work.

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
Donating Member
Reaction score
So. Couple new injectors and she purrs like a kitten on the gate. Feels pretty flat but this things had this little tick of kr in it since I put it together and id really like to figure out why my fuel trims turn on and off whenever they feel like itView attachment 75569
What do you mean? That actually looks pretty good and very normal to me. The initial KR after a shift is pretty normal too. Your WOT spark is hella low though, things will get hot with such little timing.

EDIT: I'm seeing KR timing, what is it without the KR pulling timing? Like 15-ish? If so that's pretty good, could use another 1-2 if it can take it.

OP
RdRnnR

RdRnnR

wannabe racecar builder
Reaction score
Nice Camaro!

View attachment 75599

View attachment 75600

View attachment 75601
I didn't even know that existed but now I almost wanna make it my life's mission to have one. That things beautiful.

OP
RdRnnR

RdRnnR

wannabe racecar builder
Reaction score
What do you mean? That actually looks pretty good and very normal to me. The initial KR after a shift is pretty normal too. Your WOT spark is hella low though, things will get hot with such little timing.

EDIT: I'm seeing KR timing, what is it without the KR pulling timing? Like 15-ish? If so that's pretty good, could use another 1-2 if it can take it.
14.5ish. Its a pretty conservative tune I've had alot of issues with it. My maf has lean spots in it where my kr is but my real concern is my o2s workin only when they feel like it. I could dial it in off the wideband im sure but I don't want it comin in and deciding to lock the trims all stupid after a pull because when you let out it goes lean as hell. I'm just starting on the tuning side and just tryin to make sure I've got all the bugs worked out so I don't grenade it I guess

OP
RdRnnR

RdRnnR

wannabe racecar builder
Reaction score
Those are neat, but they're really expensive to get over here. I think you'd be much better off upgrading the throttle and porting an F-body intake. A flipped FWD intake would be a good swap too albeit a lot of work.
I don't really hate the idea of l67 heads and a gutted m90 with a plate on the end for the throttle body either. Seen that a couple times looked alot easier to deal with than shoving the pcv holes in this one full of stick weld

OP
RdRnnR

RdRnnR

wannabe racecar builder
Reaction score
I don't really hate the idea of l67 heads and a gutted m90 with a plate on the end for the throttle body either. Seen that a couple times looked alot easier to deal with than shoving the pcv holes in this one full of stick weld
I hope the next guy Google searching at 2 am comes across our threads tho. Cuz finding info on the little stuff with these can be a task sometimes.

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
Reaction score
I hope the next guy Google searching at 2 am comes across our threads tho. Cuz finding info on the little stuff with these can be a task sometimes.
If you're serious about getting one all you need to do is post a wanted thread in 3800 marketplace or L67 torque on Facebook. There are a few Aussies who will glad you ship you one for a pretty penny. Lol

I'm still a bigger fan of the flipped FWD idea. I have two of them and one is even a complete bolt-in kit. The accessory relocation is the hard part to configure though. I would consider putting one in the Camaro if I started make ng enough power to make it necessary. I just don't see any value in it yet.

Jost-Boosted-Performance-Grand-National-14.jpg

PXL_20201205_190124046.jpg

OP
RdRnnR

RdRnnR

wannabe racecar builder
Reaction score
If you're serious about getting one all you need to do is post a wanted thread in 3800 marketplace or L67 torque on Facebook. There are a few Aussies who will glad you ship you one for a pretty penny. Lol

I'm still a bigger fan of the flipped FWD idea. I have two of them and one is even a complete bolt-in kit. The accessory relocation is the hard part to configure though. I would consider putting one in the Camaro if I started make ng enough power to make it necessary. I just don't see any value in it yet.

View attachment 75611

View attachment 75612
Nice! Ya for what my plans are with this its probably unnecessary. I need to take it for a good cruise and get some data here in a bit. Had some hot spots in my maf where my kr is and I think I'm gonna try and rope it in off my wideband for now since my o2s don't wanna act right anyway. If that cleans it up im gonna see how she likes a lil more boost

OP
RdRnnR

RdRnnR

wannabe racecar builder
Reaction score
Boy do I have all the luck. Go to start tuning in the maf tonight and make one good pull and she runs like a bat out of hell with no kr at all then go to make another after some tiny adjustments and she's all out of whack. Get her back to the shop she's only holdin 14 inches of vacuum, pop the hood and the evap purge valve is squealing losing vacuum and the fuel pressure regulator in the fuel rail id just put on has popped the line off and the vacuum lines were full of gas so I unhooked those she went back up to 18.5 where she usually sits and i worked on the idle cells for a bit. Purrs like a kitten down low at the moment but I'm not real sure what to do bout the rest of it. I've got another fuel rail with a good regulator in it I wouldn't have to screw with besides puttin it on or I could throw my boost regulator on it. Didnt really wanna do that til I was ready to put the 255 in the tank tho and does that purge valve do a damn thing besides keep the prime on the lines, help with the fumes and cause headaches or can I just toss that mess in the trash can?

OP
RdRnnR

RdRnnR

wannabe racecar builder
Reaction score
Well guys. Think i got it boiled down to the map sensor screwin with me but I haven't screwed around with the tables yet and don't wanna put much more effort into it when ill have to redo it anyway. Might end up doin the quarantine thing so I guess if that happens maybe ill get this stuff thrown in it.
20201208_153515.jpg

OP
RdRnnR

RdRnnR

wannabe racecar builder
Reaction score
Guys! I finally got it! There's a bolt in the back of the head on the driver side behind the little death spikes on the cowl that holds the icm bracket thats been screwin with me. Granted there was alot of other stuff I found along the way but I think I've finally got it where it needs to be. Thanks for all the help!
20201220_115630.jpg

OP
RdRnnR

RdRnnR

wannabe racecar builder
Reaction score
Should probably hop back on my own thread and update

So after a totally indecisive run after thinkin I smoked the clutch in the red one I think I've decided on what I wanted to do with each car and basically blown my ass on em. The camaro will keep the turbo 3.8 and will get the better pcm 3.42s harness and 4l60e out of the firebird. Plans are to drop a 2500 stall s10 converter in it hopin for a 3kish stall here. I just can't give her up damn things got a soft spot with me and she's runnin so damn good lately I can't rip her apart

Next order of business is putting the firebird back together. The 3.23 posi from the camaro will go back in this one but I may steal the whole k member 3.8 and all for a backup for the camaro and get one for a v8 car since I scored a disassembled yet mostly complete 5.3 on the cheap with harness and box and I don't feel like slotting control arms on the camaro. Find a 4l60 from a 2wd truck I figure I'm mostly there. But I may still throw it back together with the 3800 and the t5 since I copped a stage 1 clutch for it in case I put it back to stock and moved to the bird. All in all my red car still needs rockers but there's no rust. I've already done the hard work puttin the turbo in it swapped interiors to the red one and worst case maybe I gut the hvac out of the bird as well and try to shoot for a full interior car with ac in the long run.

Still got a pile of other parts to put on and dhp on the way to figure out but its bout time I stop spending money, finish my ltz and get on top of work during slow season so I can get these things torn apart and thrown back together
Snapchat-1632833108.jpg
Snapchat-1653030861.jpg

OP
RdRnnR

RdRnnR

wannabe racecar builder
Reaction score
I could really beat this thing some days. Finally fixed the fuel pressure regulator cuz I wanted to pick kids up from school in it today cuz the weather was nice. Get it all put back together and now the damn wastegates stuck closed on it. I coulda screwed up a vacuum line or somethin I haven't found but it's got like 19.6 inches so I'm guessin it's just stuck cuz its the one that came with the kit but more troubling is now instead of just the o2s disappearing on throttle she's graduated to Flippin back and forth between stoich afr and throttle fueling whenever the hell she feels like it. Throwing p1675 and p1676 somethin about driver issues but I'm just gonna assume this pcm has been a brick since I got it. Now do I toss the ebay 7440 and unlock it or spend the time to figure out dhp and play with that one that way or do I just leave her sit and start ripping the bird apart also any suggestions on a wastegate I really don't wanna have to drop the money for a tial or dick around welding one in if I don't have to but I'm guessing it's a necessary evil. Turbos makin some noise on idle as well so im sure thats gonna be the next thing.

OP
RdRnnR

RdRnnR

wannabe racecar builder
Reaction score
Nevermindddd forgot i tossed the evap surprised those codes didn't come up that way tho? There's no way that code to be doin that to my fueling is there?

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
Reaction score
I would ditch that gate. I've never heard great reviews about cheap ones. Did you toss it in as-is? I've seen unboxing videos where the diaphragm is torn, covered in metal shavings, and not seated properly. At the very least I'd pull it apart and make sure it's assembled right.

OP
RdRnnR

RdRnnR

wannabe racecar builder
Reaction score
I had it apart when I put it on and tied it into.the exhaust everything looked good screw holes were kinda chincy tho is all I noticed. It acts like it's not gettin vacuum I wonder if the hose going to it collapsed...I've got all new vacuum line for it anyway but the goin lean thing I have to figure out

OP
RdRnnR

RdRnnR

wannabe racecar builder
Reaction score
So lil update. Pretty much parked her for the time being to take care of some things including stealing her good aem wideband for this portable monstrosity I concocted so the dash is half at the moment. Buttt she's got a new rev9 60-62 t4 twin scroll and precision wastegate on the way so ill probably do away with the truboost as well in favor of runnin off the spring and puttin the matching glowshits in it for looks. Needed the lambda for doin everything else. Anyways this leads me to my next question....

Can I just pop that 7440 in my 98 harness and flash it with my 98 file or am I right on all the pins being weird also going from auto to manual would it glitch? It is gonna be a pain to get the rusty firebird titled so it's gonna get rolled outside the back shop door and scheduled for tear down anyway but I don't have much reason to save the t5 in the meantime

Also e85...it's easy in lambda buttt what afrs am I lookin for stoich and wot? Timing? I've had a couple guys say just add 30% to the maf but I've been told and know that's wrong. Just lookin for a lil quick insight for future reference

GTPpower

TCG Elite Member
Reaction score
The easiest way to switch it to e85 is by changing your cylinder gain to 1.34. You want to add about 34% more fuel with it.

Leave your wideband calibrated on the gas scale and shoot for 11.5-12 afr. You can go richer if you're trying to kill kr.

As for timing, I would run a stock gtp timing table, which will end up commanding 12-16 usually. And then crank up the boost. You'll make way more power and be much more reliable that way.

OP
RdRnnR

RdRnnR

wannabe racecar builder
Reaction score
So it'll still be 14.7 on idle then? Cuz that's what I shoot for to begin with and I think I'm already in the ballpark on timing around 14.5 in boost

OP
RdRnnR

RdRnnR

wannabe racecar builder
Reaction score
Thats way easier than I'd have imagined. Been toying with the ltz more than I should be bouncin around from farm to farm and the separate tables for everything are kinda intimidating

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom