Drag to reposition cover

BUILD Z mfn swift

RdRnnR

wannabe racecar builder
Reaction score
So I hear you guys like turbo f bodies in here? Well Mines probably not as fast as some but she's comin along and been a pretty fun time.

Series 2 3800, Ebay t70 8psi off wastegate cuz I'm still beating bugs out of her, ebay hotside and intercooler, 60# injectors, aem wideband and tru boost controller, hptuners, t5 with 3.23 posi rear, bunch of little zzp things, 1.9 ratio rockers and 105# beehives sittin in a box waitin on me and more little insignificant odds and ends and more money and time than the ex wife coulda sucked out of me if she tried 😂😂

Named it z swift cuz she's the craziest love hate relationship I've ever had🤷‍♂️

20200927_141523.jpg

IMG_160546463038F.jpg

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
Reaction score
Thanks for showing me! Likin this already!
It's a cool place. There are a lot of good dudes with a lot of knowledge in here.

I always forget about the 1.9 rockers. Maybe I should just get a set of those and valve springs to hold me over while I build up my other engine. Did you upgrade the timing chain? I don't feel like doing a cam swap on the L36 because I don't think I'm going to get my money's worth of power out of it. Springs and rockers would be even better if I didn't even need to pull the cover.

OP
RdRnnR

RdRnnR

wannabe racecar builder
Reaction score
It's a cool place. There are a lot of good dudes with a lot of knowledge in here.

I always forget about the 1.9 rockers. Maybe I should just get a set of those and valve springs to hold me over while I build up my other engine. Did you upgrade the timing chain? I don't feel like doing a cam swap on the L36 because I don't think I'm going to get my money's worth of power out of it. Springs and rockers would be even better if I didn't even need to pull the cover.
Shooting for 15 psi if I can get away with it. I went with 105s because they have a lower spring rate when compressed than the 90s or ls1 ls6 springs from what I read and I was trying to avoid a rough idle and having to do the double roller since you might as well cam it at that point anyway. Got lucky and scored em all including the pushrods and valve cover gaskets for 350 bucks off one of the gtp groups so I couldn't pass it up.

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
Reaction score
Shooting for 15 psi if I can get away with it. I went with 105s because they have a lower spring rate when compressed than the 90s or ls1 ls6 springs from what I read and I was trying to avoid a rough idle and having to do the double roller since you might as well cam it at that point anyway. Got lucky and scored em all including the pushrods and valve cover gaskets for 350 bucks off one of the gtp groups so I couldn't pass it up.
Nice! I actually remember some of the gurus mentioning that about the 105s in my build thread a couple years ago, but I was not smart enough to understand at that time. That's good to know. Sounds like a perfect budget-friendly upgrade.

OP
RdRnnR

RdRnnR

wannabe racecar builder
Reaction score
Nice! I actually remember some of the gurus mentioning that about the 105s in my build thread a couple years ago, but I was not smart enough to understand at that time. That's good to know. Sounds like a perfect budget-friendly upgrade.
I'll have to let you know how they work out. Everything I've seen is like 15 to 25 hp but with the stiffer springs and bein able to up the boost safely I would think its gotta be more than that

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
Donating Member
Reaction score
First free mod advice, take off that ZZP sticker.

Pretty cool to have some RWD turbo 3800's on here, hopefully you guys can iron out your cars before the TCG track day 2021.... And then quickly break them of course.

OP
RdRnnR

RdRnnR

wannabe racecar builder
Reaction score
First free mod advice, take off that ZZP sticker.

Pretty cool to have some RWD turbo 3800's on here, hopefully you guys can iron out your cars before the TCG track day 2021.... And then quickly break them of course.
Theyre a good time. Stuff that breaks just needed to be better anyway right?

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
Reaction score
I'd love to go up there for that. We'll see. Traveling all the way up there to race without a truck and trailer is a bit risky even if I have a stronger trans. Im still trying to map out my E85 stops between here and Lisle. The stations are surprisingly scarce.

GTPpower

TCG Elite Member
Reaction score
Welcome. I see you're from Kearney. I went to college there. Great town, and I try to get to the drag strip there a couple times a year.

OP
RdRnnR

RdRnnR

wannabe racecar builder
Reaction score
Welcome. I see you're from Kearney. I went to college there. Great town, and I try to get to the drag strip there a couple times a year.
Yessir. Right outside of town dragstrips only a few miles away. Kinda plannin on spending some time there makin the na guys cuss

OP
RdRnnR

RdRnnR

wannabe racecar builder
Reaction score
Thanks for the warm welcome guys! Cross your fingers on a coil pack for me
20201117_150152.jpg

OP
RdRnnR

RdRnnR

wannabe racecar builder
Reaction score
Uh oh. Does plug 2 look the same as plug 5?
Ok so its a twisted mess of things but ill explain it best I can. 1 and 3 showed misfires but only at idle never a 5. Ever. 6 occaionally. Car ran smooth as hell just didn't have the power it should and fuel trims were nuts. Sensor 2 is in downpipe and was showing like 3% lean while left bank was maxed out rich and pulling all the fuel it could as you can tell by the plugs. Both trims were maxed until I finally found a pinhole I missed when I welded my pcv shut and thats when it finally showed its face. It was tuned in so well with vacuum leaks and a dead hole that I could daily it on 8 pounds and not show knock, id have never once thought of a dead hole til I started shutting injectors down. Bout to pull plug 2 now

OP
RdRnnR

RdRnnR

wannabe racecar builder
Reaction score
Ok so its a twisted mess of things but ill explain it best I can. 1 and 3 showed misfires but only at idle never a 5. Ever. 6 occaionally. Car ran smooth as hell just didn't have the power it should and fuel trims were nuts. Sensor 2 is in downpipe and was showing like 3% lean while left bank was maxed out rich and pulling all the fuel it could as you can tell by the plugs. Both trims were maxed until I finally found a pinhole I missed when I welded my pcv shut and thats when it finally showed its face. It was tuned in so well with vacuum leaks and a dead hole that I could daily it on 8 pounds and not show knock, id have never once thought of a dead hole til I started shutting injectors down. Bout to pull plug 2 now
2s good but I'm still optimistic. That coil pack was the last one I hadn't replaced and the wire on 5 was definitely gettin hot. Trade out a coil wire and throw a new plug in it and if not have a beer and compression test it tomorrow I guess. You'd think it'd be knockin or blowin out the breather if it was bottom end tho right? Surely wouldn't hold 18 pounds of vacuum at idle?

Turbocharged400sbc

Welllllllllll ya knowwwwwww.....
Reaction score
As the timing chain gets older and stretches the definition of the misfire counts is greatly reduced.
If you actually go in and look at the misfire counters you will probably see lots of false data on the cylinders on either side of the actual misfiring one in the firing order.

A CASE learn will improve reliability of the misfire Diagnostics

OP
RdRnnR

RdRnnR

wannabe racecar builder
Reaction score
As the timing chain gets older and stretches the definition of the misfire counts is greatly reduced.
If you actually go in and look at the misfire counters you will probably see lots of false data on the cylinders on either side of the actual misfiring one in the firing order.

A CASE learn will improve reliability of the misfire Diagnostics
Can I do a case learn thru hp or do I need to borrow a proper scan tool? I did get it to quit popping on 5 but its still got misses on 1 and 3 at idle only. Switched it up to single o2 in the downpipe and tweaked the maf a lil bit last night finally got idle trims hovering between -.8 and 2.3 and sticking bout 11.5 afr when they lock. Ill get a chance to make a pull and get some scan data later today I'm hoping

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom