• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Your Opinions on a 351w setup

ajdereicup

Measly little 4.6 2v in a boat
Oct 30, 2012
Lombard
Soooo just wondering your guys opinions on an engine and tranny setup.

1975 351 windsor
trw L2456 pistons 10.0: 1
comp cams 35-330-3 cam kit

(Cam Style:Hydraulic flat tappet
Basic Operating RPM Range:2,500-6,500
Intake Duration at 050 inch Lift:244
Exhaust Duration at 050 inch Lift:244
Duration at 050 inch Lift:244 int./244 exh.
Advertised Intake Duration:292
Advertised Exhaust Duration:292
Advertised Duration:292 int./292 exh.
Intake Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio:0.518 in.
Exhaust Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio:0.518 in.
Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio:0.518 int./0.518 exh.)

heads redone with new springs and seals and valve job
ford motor sport oil pan and dip stick
melling high volume high pres. oil pump. arp oil pump drive shaft.

1975 c-4 alto red racing clutches
alto red race band for 2nd and reverse transgo shift kit
tci 3000 stall converter

Annnnddddd would these be nice for said engine? Edelbrock SB Ford Cylinder Heads

boogeyman

T-BURD
Sep 25, 2012
demotte in
probably looking around 325-350 real world hp the heads will def help alot 351`s make torque do me personally id keep the stall a hair lower like 25-2700 to take advantage of it
i would convert it over to hyd roller for sure and if your running the stock heads w just mild porting run a dual pattern cam the stock heads flow like crap on the exhaust side the higher duration on the exhaust side will help it breathe

boogeyman

T-BURD
Sep 25, 2012
demotte in
ive built a ton of sbf motors both street and race stuff the biggest hitch with making power on them is the exhaust side even with aftermarket heads its still an issue not as bad as stock but still a problem i always run a dual pattern cam on street sbf motors for that reason.
292 duration is alot for a street motor what is your usage for the car i may be able to help lead u in the right direction on the cam setup if i know a bit more about the setup and what your gonna use it for so that u end up with what u want instead of something your not happy with or has horrible street manners

ajdereicup

Oct 30, 2012
Lombard
Its the engine in the blue car in my sig thats been giving me headaches ever since I've had it. And the cars not really street friendly it sees the streets not very often at all locked rear end strictly drag suspension tiny fuel cell no comforts at all. Its an old wheelstander car IIRC.

Kinda planning on tossing a set of twin SC's on it. But thats when I end up finding what I want within a reasonable price range and work on fabricating it all up. Just want it to go as fast as possible without going crazy spending all my money. Was in the high 12's when I finally got it to the track but then it started having problems which I'm working on right now

boogeyman

T-BURD
Sep 25, 2012
demotte in
step 1 i would def swap to hyd roller
find a cam in the 286/292 duration range 108-110 lsa wider if u plan on going boosted maybe 112 and around .550 duration
the heads u posted have specific springs and parts on them whatever cam u choose the springs have to match for it to work properly
any aluminum head will help u a ton as the iron heads retain alot of heat and an aftermarket head will allow u to run more timing and run cooler as well
as having a much more efficient shaped combustion chamber
going with a cam like i suggested and a set of edelbrock rpm heads with a 62cc chamber will easily net u 400hp and around 400 ft lbs and make for a nice strong running car
the roller setup will help it make alot more power under the curve and reduce fristion losses in the valvetrain and be much more reliable.
careful selection of your parts and and assembly of the engine paying close attention to rings gaps will ensure you have a nice trouble free engine that lives under alot of abuse
i would also suggest runnign arp rod bolts and main bolts since the 351 needs as much help with stability in the bottom end as possible and the factory bolts are pretty week

ajdereicup

Oct 30, 2012
Lombard
Very very cool man. So I can pickup a hydraulic roller cam kit in the range you suggested that comes with the lifters and springs needed and swap them with the springs on the heads I end up getting?

Changing a camshaft is pretty straightforward right? Haven't dug deep into engines yet. Furthest I've gotten is changing head gaskets so far. I'll pull out my engine building books after typing this to try and see about how to go about changing them.

I'm pretty sure they went with ARP bolts through the whole engine but not 100% sure on it?

Thanks for all the help your giving me man. Its really appreciated

ajdereicup

Oct 30, 2012
Lombard
got the MSD dizzy. On my 2nd intake. Got my hookers on there with some "help". I have an alternator setup on the car with 1 belt going to it. No other things belt run. I've only had this thing to the track once and was fairly disappointed in its quickness before it started giving me problems again

ajdereicup

Oct 30, 2012
Lombard
photo02271324.jpg

Blue blue and more blue (and shitty quality pictures)

ajdereicup

Oct 30, 2012
Lombard
[MENTION=10427]boogeyman[/MENTION] what do you think of AFR heads for SBF's? I'm applying to a job where if I get it I may have more free time to possibly pull the engine and play around with it and spend some of my hard earned dollars on it so figuring that cam you said was good then better heads because I have a blower I shall be putting on the engine hopefully so figure I need it to try and be able to keep up with the added air jammed into it

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info