Paramount Yellowstone

Blood on Blood

rumble baby rumble
Apr 6, 2005
Here I was thinking Garrett Randall ordered the hit on the Dutton family so that Jamie would inherit Yellowstone and the two of them run it.

Though I originally pointed Garrett Randall out we may be too early in the season for the writers of the Yellowstone show to give up the golden goose.

I’ll stand by my choice of it being Garrett, but knowing Hollywood, you guys should be looking at someone else.

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
This episode was a mess for me and a rare miss by the writers. It was preachy and bringing in the "toxic male white man" shit felt so out of place for this show, that has generally done so well staying away from it. The Lloyd storyline is already growing old. Monica and Tate are throwaway characters at this point and are just floating around.

Not sure where the Summer storyline will actually go but I hope they do something worthwhile with it.

Reactions: Jon01 and FESTER665

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
This episode was a mess for me and a rare miss by the writers. It was preachy and bringing in the "toxic male white man" shit felt so out of place for this show, that has generally done so well staying away from it. The Lloyd storyline is already growing old. Monica and Tate are throwaway characters at this point and are just floating around.

Not sure where the Summer storyline will actually go but I hope they do something worthwhile with it.

Agree on your take here....

Not sure anything below will be a "spoiler" by any means, but dont wanna give anything away:

Only thing really tying together storyline is Jaimes baby momma returning, who knows where that might go though.

I have no idea why we keep seeing little snippets with Jimmy now too. He's kinda an afterthought at this point, and I dont really care what he does at the 4 6's ranch. :dunno:

The "preview" made it look like John starts banging Summer so no idea if thats whats going to happen or if it was just good editing on their part for the upcoming parts of the season.

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
AND to complete my Monday bitching, and I'm going to be the ONLY one to say this, but Beth's "I'm a bad bitch all the time" thing is starting to get old for me. It was great for most of the time but now she is starting to lack depth for me. She cant be a cunt in every scene.

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
AND to complete my Monday bitching, and I'm going to be the ONLY one to say this, but Beth's "I'm a bad bitch all the time" thing is starting to get old for me. It was great for most of the time but now she is starting to lack depth for me. She cant be a **** in every scene.

I can see that take as well. See what happens with her storyline here as well.

IDAFC21

WOW.
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2007
Avondale, AZ
To use a phrase, they definitely have a lot of irons in the fire right now. And many of them are not particularly interesting at the moment :LOL: And its still unclear how any of them are going to relate to the overall story. Not sure where this Summer thing is gonna go. Maybe John is just tired of his own kids not listening to him

Reactions: FESTER665 and Mook

IDAFC21

WOW.
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2007
Avondale, AZ
I will say I did enjoy that small scene we got w/ those 2 old geezers when Jimmy wakes up from sleeping on that bench. I knew the one guy had to be SOMEONE, but as I am not versed in "that cowboy life" I didn't know. But he most certainly is someone.

AND Barry Corbin!! Who played Ellis in No Country for Old Men. God his speech at the end of that movie is just legendary. "Whatchu got aint nuthin new. This countries hard on people. Can't stop whats comin...." Now I need to watch that movie again.........and I just did like a few weeks ago.

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
I will say I did enjoy that small scene we got w/ those 2 old geezers when Jimmy wakes up from sleeping on that bench. I knew the one guy had to be SOMEONE, but as I am not versed in "that cowboy life" I didn't know. But he most certainly is someone.

AND Barry Corbin!! Who played Ellis in No Country for Old Men. God his speech at the end of that movie is just legendary. "Whatchu got aint nuthin new. This countries hard on people. Can't stop whats comin...." Now I need to watch that movie again.........and I just did like a few weeks ago.

Buster Welch is cutting horse royalty. Very very cool cameo.

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
I agree with Mook's critiques. Maybe I'm spoiled because I was able to binge watch the first 3 seasons basically as one giant movie, but this one lacks direction. S4 started off with a bang but right now just has a lot of "things going on" with less substance than normal.

Also, i lol that they made beth in her mid-30's for this show (33 or 34 in the first season, 37 this season). That's def not believable.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
Another setup episode. First off, Jimmy isn't setting up a whole bunch about the Yellowstone. It's just a way to introduce people to the characters of the upcoming Four 6's show. Once the show is launched, I bet the crossover to the Yellowstone will be pretty non-existent.

Jamie's story is being set up to be very complicated. Obviously.

I think Beth's story is about to become very troublesome to her father and the Yellowstone. I have a feeling her new job is going to have her manipulated and blackmailed to work against her father. They already made it clear they would have the SEC look into insider trading and manipulation. The whole family has a history and past that can come back to haunt them at any time.

I think Beth's love story with Rip is the writer's way of balancing her tough persona out. But my issue with the show is it is so ADD. There is never a long game. It seems people and issues come and go within 2-4 episodes. Build some characters. Even Rainwater is just kind of wasted. He's there but hasn't done much. Monica and tate? Ya, just white noise.

No clue what "boy" brings to the show or what his future is.

"Let's show Beth has emotion other than rage."

"ok, how?"

"She can't have kids so lets bring in a kid bringing in a kid that reminds her of Rip."

"Brilliant!!"

"So we had the kid piss her off. Now what?"

"Let's keep him around."

"What do we do with him?"

"Have him shovel shit until we paint ourselves in a corner and can have him do something that will shock everyone!"

"You are the most amazing producer ever. I want to be you one day."

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville
The last two episodes weren’t the greatest. There’s too many storylines that they’re trying to play out.

-I dislike how they’re making Lloyd out to be a jealous bitch. The barrel racers bring nothing to the show. Send them packing.

-They haven’t used Mo enough this season. I enjoy his character.

-Beth is becoming way too predictable.

-The 6666 ranch aspect is too slow. All Jimmy has done is sit around. I’m guessing this storyline is being setup for a spin-off down the road.

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
The last two episodes weren’t the greatest. There’s too many storylines that they’re trying to play out.

-I dislike how they’re making Lloyd out to be a jealous bitch. The barrel racers bring nothing to the show. Send them packing.

-They haven’t used Mo enough this season. I enjoy his character.

-Beth is becoming way too predictable.

-The 6666 ranch aspect is too slow. All Jimmy has done is sit around. I’m guessing this storyline is being setup for a spin-off down the road.

Yeah, with Jimmy gone I dont know why they havent sent them packing already.... Literally all they are doing is dividing the bunkhouse and adding no real value to the ranch....

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
What kind of surprises me with Jimmy is that the doctor pretty much told him to wear that back brace 24/7, if he falls off another horse you can figure he's done walking for life.

So, in what, two episodes the brace is gone (still in the back of the truck?) and he's off riding another horse? This is going to work out well.

I think Beth's story is about to become very troublesome to her father and the Yellowstone. I have a feeling her new job is going to have her manipulated and blackmailed to work against her father. They already made it clear they would have the SEC look into insider trading and manipulation. The whole family has a history and past that can come back to haunt them at any time.
I agree. I think she's being set up and will have to do some "heroic family thing" to get herself out of it. Or Rip goes and kills them all.

Also agree on the barrel monkeys. Yeah, nice to look at, but they should have been shipped out a while ago, especially when the blonde stated to sack hopping.

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
The barrel racers bring nothing to the show. Send them packing.
Seriously, why are they still there? I can't even remember, are they being paid or just hanging out? I thought they were just hanging out temporarily because of walker and jimmy, but jimmy is gone and this is a long time for the blonde one to stick around.

Sounds like we all agree the show has gone basically nowhere in the last few episodes. Lots of wasted opportunity. Monica had some cool scenes/storylines in the past and that's all gone, Kayce is the coolest dude on the show and basically does nothing notable now. The writers are spending way too much time focusing on the boy, beth, and a little bit of Jamie (which is the only developing plotline that has any substance). Even Rip has gone kind of dry, all he does is cuss people out, no depth anymore.

Beth's character at the beginning of S1 annoyed me and just screamed "trying too hard", then she got way better, but now she's getting annoying again. We get it, you're damaged and cynical, but shut the fuck up already you're like a broken record.

All in all, not great writing from episodes 2-5

Thread Info