• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Yard Find '87 Trans Am GTA? In the know, step in!

torquelover

TCG Elite Member
Jun 4, 2013
So there's an '87 GTA L98/700R4 with 80k in a backyard. Has been sitting since the mid-late 90's outside in a backyard. Owner wants it gone soon, or it gets donated for the $500 tax write off.

What I know:
-Almost stock, some stereo stuff, SLP exhaust.
-Does not run. Mice have chewed up the plug wires, maybe other wires, under hood.
-Does not roll, brakes and maybe more rusted solid.
-Owner claims not much visible rust on body.
What I don't know:
-What it really looks like (going this weekend).
-If I like a 3rd GEN TA with a 350 and barely over 200 HP.
-How much rust, and how far gone all rubber items are (outside all these years, uncovered).

Owner wants somewhere between the tax write off price and $1500. If it's closer to the lower end I don't see how this is a bad price. Seller agreed to me working on the car at his place for a day or two before moving it, mostly to clean/gut the interior/engine bay of any rodents and associated filth before I put it in my attached garage.

I don't know much about these yet, only started paying attention to these after 4th GEN/LT1. What should I be looking for? Is it worth the trouble? I don't really need this car, but wouldn't mind a track slut for autocross. Is this thing a sloppy bitch with big overhangs, power steering that can't keep up, and wet noodle chassis rigidity?

I'll throw up some pics after I see it. If I don't take it maybe someone else will want it? For now, any suggestions from those in the know on these things would be appreciated.

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
A 3rd gen could easily rock out with its cock out on an auto-x pad... Sounds like he's going to have to replace suspension and bushings anyways, might as well throw a hotchkis kit on. No, it won't be no miata on coils, but it would be fun. All comes down to how gone the car is rust wise.... If its been sitting that long, your main area of concern is the underside... Nothing fucks a car more than letting it sit with trapped moisture for two decades.

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
So there's an '87 GTA L98/700R4 with 80k in a backyard. Has been sitting since the mid-late 90's outside in a backyard. Owner wants it gone soon, or it gets donated for the $500 tax write off.

What I know:
-Almost stock, some stereo stuff, SLP exhaust.
-Does not run. Mice have chewed up the plug wires, maybe other wires, under hood.
-Does not roll, brakes and maybe more rusted solid.
-Owner claims not much visible rust on body.
What I don't know:
-What it really looks like (going this weekend).
-If I like a 3rd GEN TA with a 350 and barely over 200 HP.
-How much rust, and how far gone all rubber items are (outside all these years, uncovered).

Owner wants somewhere between the tax write off price and $1500. If it's closer to the lower end I don't see how this is a bad price. Seller agreed to me working on the car at his place for a day or two before moving it, mostly to clean/gut the interior/engine bay of any rodents and associated filth before I put it in my attached garage.

I don't know much about these yet, only started paying attention to these after 4th GEN/LT1. What should I be looking for? Is it worth the trouble? I don't really need this car, but wouldn't mind a track slut for autocross. Is this thing a sloppy bitch with big overhangs, power steering that can't keep up, and wet noodle chassis rigidity?

I'll throw up some pics after I see it. If I don't take it maybe someone else will want it? For now, any suggestions from those in the know on these things would be appreciated.

First off, if that is a SLP 2 on the Left cat-back in good non-rusted shape then thats worth $400 to people. For some reason it didn't get all that much love when SLP was making them, but as soon as SLP discontinued it the 2otL became hot stuff to own.

Worry not about the engine and transmission. Those are just a stock 5.3L/4L60E swap away from huge improvements cheaper than you could mod the stock engine.

If the block is in decent shape you could get some decent money for it. A guy who wants to keep the original engine type will pay a couple for it.

What I WOULD worry about with these cars.

RUST. This is your #1 priority. If its gone beyond light surface rust and into Rot then it can be expensive to fix. Check the front sub-frams for rust, as well as the rocker panels where the doors drain (near the front fenders).

Next is Paint. If the paint is decent, or even can be cleaned up then thats another huge project that you don't have to worry about. By cleaned up I mean washed, and buffed. If the clear coat is peeling and you don't feel like painting the car then either walk away or start looking at it as something to part out.

Steering isn't all that bad. If the pump is in good shape you might have some slop on the steering. It can either reside int he steering gear, or in the linkage itself. The box if its not leaking can usually be bench adjusted back to proper specs (not just tightening the top nut, that will cause problems). If its got a quick ratio box, then I would have that fixed before putting in autozone replacement. Many of the autozone type replacements are not the quick ratio box. Quick ratio will be 2.25 turns lock to lock.

Lastly is interior, this isn't so bad to fix, new carpets aren't that expensive and you can grab seats from a 4th gen and be happy. It only really gets expensive if you want to restore the stock Ultima seats. Those aren't cheap.

The rest of the items are easily found. 4th gen rears swap right in. Suspension hard parts don't really go bad on these, so its just bushings that you worry about. But since so much of the rear can be found of a 4th gen you can simply swap panhards/LCA's right off a 4th gen no worries.

The Bluegrass Nomad

Five-oh ho no mo
Feb 4, 2011
Sadieville, KY
As said before, check the underside. The last thing you want it to be doing 55 on the highway and your ass dragging on the ground. Sit in the car and then look underneath. Driver side and passenger. If anything moves, at all, pass on the car. I had a 91 camaro I was going to put new floors in but after parts and welding work, it was going to be $1700+. Illinois cars scare me. If your serious about a third gen, go south.

torquelover

TCG Elite Member
Jun 4, 2013
Went to look at it, not too bad, really. Needs a good cleaning, very minor rust. Underhood, looks like injector wiring and spark plug wires took a hit, not too much else. Car can roll now. I took a bunch of pics, kind of hard to get underneath it with two flat tires but I tried anyway. Check it out:

http://www.supermotors.net/registry/25865/81991

Still on the fence about this one...

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
This, is a problem.

That looks more like rot hidden by dirt. Did you tap this with a screw driver or hammer to make sure it was solid?

83.jpg

torquelover

TCG Elite Member
Jun 4, 2013
Good catch guys, didn't see that. I basically stuffed my camera under the car to take some pics. Looked at them on the camera then uploaded and posted. Too dark/tight to get my head under there. That does look like a huge problem.

Aside from being into Knight Rider when I was a kid, I have no love for 3rd gens. I'm passing. Anyone out there want to take it on PM me and I can get you some info.

The Omni is cool. Told him if he decides to give up on it to let me know. Was parked right next to the GTA all these years, but is stayed mice free somehow.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info