Yamaha's entry-level PWC offering

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
I dig it

A lot more than I had thought i would.

I feel if you want playful- you go the spark route, if you want a nice solid, stable ride, you go the yamahopper.

Yamaha EX (2017-) 2017 Reviews,performance,compare,price,warranty, specs,Reports,Specifications Layout, video | BoatTEST.com

Brief Summary
Yamaha has a new line of affordable waverunners, and they fly in the face of what is considered “affordable”. The EX Series constitutes three new machines in the Rec-Lite category that we had more fun on than should be allowed. With prices ranging from $6,599 to $8,599 the features being offered are more than expected, but that’s not a surprise coming from Yamaha. They’ve been doing it for years.
Key Features
1 to 3 persons seating capacity
Available in Pure White with Green
3-cylinder, 4-stroke TR-1 Yamaha Marine Engine
Multifunction Information Center
Glove Box
Deck Mats
Tow Hook
Storage Capacity of 7.7 gal

Affordability comes in many forms. Sometimes it pretty much means “disposable” and other’s it means a bargain that is hard to resist. With Yamaha’s EX Series, the three models definitely fall into that latter category. In fact during our performance evaluation of the EX Deluxe, we had more fun than on any of the company’s other machines, probably because this one focuses on exactly that… fun. Not speed, not bells and whistles, not seats made out of @Panda… just fun, in its purest form.

yamaha_ex_profile_2017.jpg

yamaha_ex_running_2017.jpg

All Three Models are Made From Fiberglass, Not Plastic. That’s a major feature right there and one that really serves to differentiate the EX models from the competition. The strength of the SMC (sheet molded compound) build alone is worthy of a higher price tag, but here, it’s held down, mostly through the refined build process and the above mentioned fact that all come out the same. And with fiberglass construction these fun models will be in the family for years.
Fuel Efficient TR-1 Engine. This award-winning 3-cylinder, 4-stroke 1019cc engine is 40-percent smaller, 20-percent lighter and more fuel-efficient than its 4-cylinder M1 predecessor. All while putting out more power.

New Hull Design and Handling. Yamaha came up with a new hull design for the EX series that seems to be more forgiving and predictable in its handling characteristics. During our tests we found precise handling response and a stability that we did not expect. In fact, while evaluating its handling our test captain tried every move he could to get the EX to roll over and dump him in the water but it just wasn’t having any of it. By the time he was done, it was as if the WaveRunner sat there saying, “what else you got?” No matter what we did, the EX remained predictable, precise and fun. Did we mention fun?

yamaha_ex_frontstorage_2017.jpg

yamaha_ex_glovebox_2017.jpg

True three-person capacity. This is a big feature and one that is optional on competing watercraft. Both the seat, and the EX models are large enough to hold three persons. Now that takes more than space, it takes floatation and stability as well. Sometimes adding a third person means adding an optional set of features, such as the bigger seat and larger rear deck for added floatation. At Yamaha, these models hold three people right out of the box.

this is really impressive to me:

yamaha_ex_data_2017.jpg

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
buy the yamaha first, and then the spark because it's more fun? is that what you're saying?
More fun? I take it you rode both of these? Or are you assuming it isn't fun because its heavier?

Im saying IMO this is worth the extra money because of build quality alone.

That plastic toy like Spark isn't appealing to my at all after seeing one in person.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
More fun? I take it you rode both of these? Or are you assuming it isn't fun because its heavier?

Im saying IMO this is worth the extra money because of build quality alone.

That plastic toy like Spark isn't appealing to my at all after seeing one in person.

i haven't. i was just bein' sarcastic and playin' off your words.

i dunno which i'd go with. i'd probably go full retard and not get an entry level one.

i definitely understand where spark's have their place though, and they have been selling like hot cakes.

I wonder what you get for $6599.

Probably a no reverse model with less graphics like the current (or is it older now) non DX base model.

i thought reverse was standard

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info