Yaj yak is goin' green. Battery powered vehicles ftmfw. #Longthread

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
i basically wrote the thread hoping for your posts. i tagged you even!

so to combat my power do you think i could turn heat on in my garage, warm the thing up and make it further?

Absolutely. If there's a heated place for it to spend it's time that's gravy. You'll definitely get more range. The cool thing though is it's probably hackable. Those things tend to use off the shelf batteries and you might just be able to add more.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
I just did some really quick searching and it looks like some people have played around with them. Actually that sounds like a neat toy because it doesn't appear to be using any kind of proprietary batteries. So you can make other batteries work I would think and could potentially add more or just get the same voltage batteries with larger capacity.

You'd need to find out if the motor is DC or AC and if there's a DC to AC inverter like you have in a Tesla. This all sounds very simple on first thought.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
scrolled through and nothing about giving her hell out in this snow??? holy Tokyo drift :run:

it's cold

I have seen sleeves for batteries. I think they are mostly in cold climate areas where it’s sub zero weather.

However most of this are made for the traditional 12 or 6v battery sizes.

the batteries are all group 31 12v batteries. there are 8 of them.

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
lithium was an OE option, but it was like a metric fuckton more money, and apparently you need a different onboard charger with lithium? dunnno.

Those SLA batteries are likely Deep Cycle marine style batteries. So you are probably looking at $1200+ for replacement batteries of a similar performance curve. Electric vehicles are way more demanding on the constant and surge draw than a starter is.

Lithium is more yes, but it likely has way more punch and acceleration even if the top speed isn't higher. Also longer lasting as well I'll bet.

EDIT: Just looked up the battery packs. The SLA batteries are 9.4KWh total, while the Lithiums are 21kwh. So that would explain the price difference. Twice the battery capacity, and probably 4 to 5x the maximum continuous current draw. That explains the price differences a bit.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Those SLA batteries are likely Deep Cycle marine style batteries. So you are probably looking at $1200+ for replacement batteries of a similar performance curve. Electric vehicles are way more demanding on the constant and surge draw than a starter is.

Lithium is more yes, but it likely has way more punch and acceleration even if the top speed isn't higher. Also longer lasting as well I'll bet.

EDIT: Just looked up the battery packs. The SLA batteries are 9.4KWh total, while the Lithiums are 21kwh. So that would explain the price difference. Twice the battery capacity, and probably 4 to 5x the maximum continuous current draw. That explains the price differences a bit.

do you sell batteries?

Thread Info