Yaj yak is goin' green. Battery powered vehicles ftmfw. #Longthread

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Sounds good. I'll setup alerts on eBay & CL then while you test.

the whole LSV thing sounds awesome for these 30mph farm roads near me as I border Manhattan.

right I dont want to scare you off, i just don't want you MF'ing me when it sucks. :rofl:

i hope it's going to be good.

big portions are the motor and the batteries... i figure electric motors are rebuildable and batteries are replaceable so it's worth a shot.

bikrboy128

Some say.....
TCG Premium
Jul 15, 2007
Wheaton
you say you're not going to off road it, but you know you're going to send it off some sweet dirt jumps.

:fy: on getting it safe and sound. anytime i hear of someone using a independent vehicle transporter there's always a bullshit excuse train to explain why they can't make it on time.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
I read the whole thing and the takeaway is that some people just act really sketchy but then end up being totally normal. About once a month I get a Craigslist deal that seems to good to be true where the person is just super sketch and then I meet them and they're totally fine.

Now I've learned that those are the best deals because many people will just stop communicating with that type of person but I'll be persistent and put up with the bullshit for a better deal.

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
JK
I read the whole thing and the takeaway is that some people just act really sketchy but then end up being totally normal. About once a month I get a Craigslist deal that seems to good to be true where the person is just super sketch and then I meet them and they're totally fine.

Now I've learned that those are the best deals because many people will just stop communicating with that type of person but I'll be persistent and put up with the bullshit for a better deal.
Nothing about this electric vehicle?
Nothing about ev’s losing so much range in cold weather?
Nothing about silent burnouts/donuts?

WTF

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
lol, I thought I was doing everyone a favor by ignoring that stuff. I don't know enough about that specific vehicle to talk about the range loss but yeah, it's a big deal with super cold weather.

For the battery to offer peak range it needs to be in a certain operating temperature. So when it's super-cold you're up against a few different factors. One being that the battery naturally has less capacity and the other being that it's using some of that capacity to warm itself to get into it's optimal temperature range. So if you're doing a lot of short trips in very cold weather you're going to be very sad. The longer you drive the less of a problem this is and Tesla actually just updated the software so that you can pre-condition the battery from the app when it's plugged in. So basically you'd be using shore power (Yeah, I call it shore power :rofl: )to heat the battery before a trip which is going to eliminate much of that range loss.

On a vehicle like KJ's though, it almost certainly has nothing in the way of temperature control for the battery. So you're kind of boned.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
lol, I thought I was doing everyone a favor by ignoring that stuff. I don't know enough about that specific vehicle to talk about the range loss but yeah, it's a big deal with super cold weather.

For the battery to offer peak range it needs to be in a certain operating temperature. So when it's super-cold you're up against a few different factors. One being that the battery naturally has less capacity and the other being that it's using some of that capacity to warm itself to get into it's optimal temperature range. So if you're doing a lot of short trips in very cold weather you're going to be very sad. The longer you drive the less of a problem this is and Tesla actually just updated the software so that you can pre-condition the battery from the app when it's plugged in. So basically you'd be using shore power (Yeah, I call it shore power :rofl: )to heat the battery before a trip which is going to eliminate much of that range loss.

On a vehicle like KJ's though, it almost certainly has nothing in the way of temperature control for the battery. So you're kind of boned.

i basically wrote the thread hoping for your posts. i tagged you even!

so to combat my power do you think i could turn heat on in my garage, warm the thing up and make it further?

Thread Info