OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
Sup homies.

Closing on a house in three weeks. My lot is almost an acre and the push mower I have isn’t going to cut it :drums:

looking for a preferably used mower good condition. Trying to keep it under a grand cash money.

really not picky about deck width or anything, if I can make it a couple mowing seasons before needing to upgrade I’d be cool.

keeping my eye out for a 4 stroke string trimmer too.

Reactions: EmersonHart13

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
IDK if it’s something you’d be interested in, but I have an older Simplicity garden tractor. It is pristine. It’s been in my collection for a few years, thinning out everything that isn’t Deere.

I’d take $750 for it.

D1D7C2F3-9EF8-413C-A901-C63B1F20FD67.jpeg

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
ive got a gt2186 cub cadet with a 54" deck for $900
we also have a few 3000 series (power steering, front hydro, foot control, arm rests, two cup holders) but they arnt going to be ready for a little bit.
Enticed as fuck on something I could mount a plow or snowblower on. The driveway is a god damn football field. What kinda timeframe are we talking?

daturbosix

HNIC @ GoodFellas Garage
TCG Sponsor
Mar 2, 2008
Aurora
Real Name
Jeff
Enticed as fuck on something I could mount a plow or snowblower on. The driveway is a god damn football field. What kinda timeframe are we talking?
Then get a 3000 series with front hydro, or a 318 or similar john deere.

There is a reason why the 30 year old machines are still being used and parts in stock even at napa for them.

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
Have a lawn service do the first year then figure out what you really want. Then next year you can be pickier with hopefully more money.
A lawn service is going to cost as much or more than buying a used tractor, which still has value to selling if I decide on upgrading

Reactions: Yaj Yak

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
I’d reaaaaally like something with the PTO on it and that’s about my only requirement.

PTO for what? A blower, rear PTO for a tiller? A snowblower that’s belt driven is just going to run off the same PTO clutch that the mower deck operates off of. Rear PTO is a different story.

What are your goals for the machine? Cut grass? Snowblow/plow? Tiller/rear attachment for a Garden?

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
If you’re looking for a good machine at a fair price. I would look at Sabre 1842’s and 2148’s. They are essentially 90’s John Deere models that were rebranded when JD introduced their new line. Even built in the Horicon, Wis Deere plant. Good drivetrains, great transaxles. Can get push blades, blowers, etc for them.

5292C05E-6E64-4D2E-A4D0-F9D4B7C6589F.jpeg

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
PTO for what? A blower, rear PTO for a tiller? A snowblower that’s belt driven is just going to run off the same PTO clutch that the mower deck operates off of. Rear PTO is a different story.

What are your goals for the machine? Cut grass? Snowblow/plow? Tiller/rear attachment for a Garden?
Grass cutting, plow or snow blow

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
Go with an older tractor for sure. I have had a few mid 2000's JD's and not very happy with them. I'm sure the newer ones are even worse. First L120 I bought from a lawn mower repair guy (first mistake). I think it had 600 hours on it and I paid $600. MINTY as all fuck. But I brought it home and parked it in the shed and next morning had a oil drip under it. I called the seller and said WTF you said this mower was serviced and needs nothing. He took it back to my surprise. Few weeks later bought a minty 2006 L130. 48 inch deck, twin kohler engine. 100 hours on it for $900. I've had it since 2016 and its been cutting grass flawlessly. BUT its also starting to burn oil as well as blows a cloud of smoke on startup. Local lawnmower guy the karens use said he believes it needs valve seats replaced but wouldn't know until he tears down the motor. He told me it could shit the bed tomorrow or keep running forever. Said check the oil every month and deal with the smoke on startup and keep sending it. Not supposed to have these issues at such low hours.

I should have been less concerned with the cleanliness and more concerned about quality.

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
Go with an older tractor for sure. I have had a few mid 2000's JD's and not very happy with them. I'm sure the newer ones are even worse. First L120 I bought from a lawn mower repair guy (first mistake). I think it had 600 hours on it and I paid $600. MINTY as all fuck. But I brought it home and parked it in the shed and next morning had a oil drip under it. I called the seller and said WTF you said this mower was serviced and needs nothing. He took it back to my surprise. Few weeks later bought a minty 2006 L130. 48 inch deck, twin kohler engine. 100 hours on it for $900. I've had it since 2016 and its been cutting grass flawlessly. BUT its also starting to burn oil as well as blows a cloud of smoke on startup. Local lawnmower guy the karens use said he believes it needs valve seats replaced but wouldn't know until he tears down the motor. He told me it could shit the bed tomorrow or keep running forever. Said check the oil every month and deal with the smoke on startup and keep sending it. Not supposed to have these issues at such low hours.

I should have been less concerned with the cleanliness and more concerned about quality.

I wouldn’t be the least bit concerned about it smoking on startup.

The L series Deeres were the box store models. Mid 2000’s are fine, but go with a GT or X series.

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
I wouldn’t be the least bit concerned about it smoking on startup.

The L series Deeres were the box store models. Mid 2000’s are fine, but go with a GT or X series.

Out of my budget for those. I only have a half acre. This L130 is overkill.

I hear people talk about JD box store models. Every time I am in a actual JD dealer I see the same residential models as Home Depot. Obviously they also have higher end X models that home depot does not sell. Is there any difference between where you buy it? My L130 has a sticker from Shorewood JD on it.

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
No difference, it just comes down to the quality. The K46 transaxle in the L series is not known for durability. Even the Sabre machines got the K61/62 Personally I try not to touch anything with Briggs engines, which a lot of the budget Deere’s have. Kawasaki is my go to but Kohler works if need be. The older Onan engines are great, but from what I’ve seen getting north of 1,500 hours even well maintained they are on borrowed time to some extent. My 420 has 1,700 hours on it and I know that at some point a rebuild is going to be inevitable.

Reactions: PANDA

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
I have a decently high tolerance for letting stuff not get to me though when it comes to older machines. My 420 consumes oil, but it still has good compression and isn’t making any odd noises so I’m just going to run it as long as possible. Hell my Yukon is at like 1qt per 1,000 miles these days. Oil is cheap, as long as everything else is relatively healthy I can live with checking and adding.

Reactions: OffshoreDrilling

daturbosix

HNIC @ GoodFellas Garage
TCG Sponsor
Mar 2, 2008
Aurora
Real Name
Jeff

solid machine. wish it were the 1864, but the 1862 is good also. that deck is worth about 250-300, the power steering parts are worth about 200ish, and the engine, if it happens to blow, will bring about 400 if sold properly on ebay.

Reactions: OffshoreDrilling
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info