Would you buy E55 AMG?

Matt_Jagg7

State Farm Insurance Car Nut
Reaction score
Need opinions and advice!

My girlfriend is looking into purchasing a fun daily driver.

Our food friend goes to auctions in FL and has an 04 Mercedes-Benz E55 AMG

Here are details:
- 160 K Miles
- Auction Car, bought for $2,700
- SRS and airbag (suspension) codes
- Says it drives great, no mechanical issues
- at 60 K was a dealer buyback back car, all issues repairedt and resoldt
- one accident, rear end
- Front seats and arm rest need replaced along with a repair to one air suspension bag

He will sell to us for $5500. She is ready to spend up to $2500 on initial maintenance and upkeep once purchased.

Would you purchase this car knowing this info?

The Broken Regal

BITE BITE, SIP SIP
Reaction score
That car is trashed and wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole, who knows the actual mechanic status, car also looks to have the air ride suspension? Edit- yes just noticed you put that

2500 might fix a few things if you can do it yourself but yikes that seat and interior fix might be that much

I'd rather go out and find one with 150k and in great shape from a private seller for 10-15k

P40E

Reaction score
It's hard to say cause that car definitely has some major history behind it. Buy back , cheap auction price , fucked up interior . Looks like a ghetto car . Don't these things cost like $1000 for brakes jobs ?

boostedguy05

not well known
Donating Member
Reaction score
You can get cheap e-bay sets for around 600. But I think it was said you either need a special tool, or a dealer program to allow the rears to release, or something like that

OP
Matt_Jagg7

Matt_Jagg7

Reaction score
I haven't looked too far into it.

Has anyone had an AMG product before? I hear the motors/drivetrain are bulletproof.

Mike K

Forum Sponsor
Reaction score
My first thought when looking at those seats is water damage. That kind of damage doesn't happen with anything even close to resembling normal use.

Then my spidey senses wondered if it was a Florida car because basically anything coming out of Florida is a lie. Sure enough, the company the car is pictured in front of is registered in Fort Myers, Florida.

I wouldn't touch it. It's almost certainly a flood car. At $2700 you could part it out and make a bit of coin. At $5500 you can part it out and maybe make your money back. No thanks.

Edit: Whoops, just noticed you clearly said it was from Florida. Looks like I didn't need those spidey senses. Nothing coming out of Florida is honest. Assume there is an additional backstory that your friend doesn't know about. Dollars to donuts if you pull out the carpet you'll find a water line.

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
Donating Member
Reaction score
It could cost $6k+ to fix the suspension alone, so I wouldn't do it.

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
Donating Member
Reaction score
The motors and transmissions are definitely pretty stout, but everything around them costs a lot of money to repair on a car that is well maintained throughout it's life. That one has been ruined.

Spivitz

The Throttle is ur friend
Donating Member
Reaction score
Yep, I'd run away from that.

bikrboy128

Some say.....
Reaction score
wait. your friend bought this for $2700, did nothing to fix any of the issues with it, and is going to try and sell it to you for $5500?
some friend you have there. :ugh:

i can see the air suspension is fucked. that alone is going to burn through your $2500 budget.
i say PASS. plenty of other "fun" DDs in the $8,000 range that aren't german shitpiles

b00sted

He's Still Your President
Reaction score
I don't think I'll own a newer German car out of warranty again. Once they start breaking little things, it'll nickel and dime you fast. This car is already WELL into that realm.

OP
Matt_Jagg7

Matt_Jagg7

Reaction score
Thank you a for the input. After a things considered, we've decided NOT to get this car.

Mike K

Forum Sponsor
Reaction score
Thank you a for the input. After a things considered, we've decided NOT to get this car.
Sometimes the best way to make money is to save money. This was a solid financial decision. :bigthumb:

OP
Matt_Jagg7

Matt_Jagg7

Reaction score
Sometimes the best way to make money is to save money. This was a solid financial decision. :bigthumb:
100% True!
Wealth = Assets - Liabilities, having high income is always a plus.

Lower debt and increase income is what is proven!

Sorry, I work in insurance and financial services and I get excited!

Mike K

Forum Sponsor
Reaction score
Don't apologize to me. I love nerding out on money.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom