World's first AI powered robot chefs

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
Can the programmers minimize the variables in food preparation enough to make robot cooks successful? They obviously can't taste food so they're cooking by programming and there are a LOT of variables that need to be figured in. Two peppers, for instance, can have greatly different levels of heat. Tasting, smelling, seeing, listening, touching are all important senses in cooking and the robots, AFAIK, don't have them.

Reminds me of chess computers. At first the chess masters could beat them easily then they got better. Will robocooks be the same as they eventually develop sensors for them to "taste" the food and be able to cook meals perfectly? Interesting stuff.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
TCG Premium
Nov 20, 2008
NWI
giphy.gif

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
I wonder too how much prep is involved for them to cook a meal. It looked like everything was being dumped in already portioned containers. So you would have to have someone portioning out exactly what is needed for the meal so the robot could grab it. Unless I missed something.

Super cool regardless

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
I wonder too how much prep is involved for them to cook a meal. It looked like everything was being dumped in already portioned containers. So you would have to have someone portioning out exactly what is needed for the meal so the robot could grab it. Unless I missed something.

Super cool regardless

Looks like the portions are divided up in the wall machine behind them then they grab it and use it….

Z28Camaro

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jun 25, 2015
Metamora
Until they develop sensors that will allow them to "taste" the food, they will go nowhere.

I don't think much food tasting is going on by the 'chefs' at a McDonalds or many other fast/casual food chains. This tech will be best applied to the places where they have the variation eliminated in the ingredients and then scale out from there.

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
That's a good point. Fast food could use the robots a lot more readily than "real" restaurants.
consistency is king in the restaurant area and robots are good at being consistent.

Your whole taste theory is great for new meals, but 90% of the "restaurants" shoot for consistent tasting meals.

A robot is a lot more consistent than a human, til it breaks or hits it's limitations and then needs a human of course lol

b00sted

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 6, 2010
The problem I have with designs like this is that they're trying to replace the human with a human-like robot that uses regular utensils, pots/pans, etc. They should just be redesigning the kitchens entirely to suit the needs/capabilities of the robots. More like a traditional manufacturing line.

I understand they likely intend for this to be a retrofit solution, but it seems like it would be cheaper and more effective in the long-run to go with the aforementioned manufacturing-style setup.

Reactions: SaturdaysGS

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
Until they develop sensors that will allow them to "taste" the food, they will go nowhere.

you are ignoring how much is just repeatable science and action. it would be far more useful for them to have basic sensors like temp and feel. i'm sure taste could be optimized too, but you're thinking of it cooking as well as gordon ramsay, not the typical cook. which they'll probably get to, but no need in the short term.

also AI has been used for a while now to try and come up with new recipes/flavor combos, based on existing ones. not sure if there's a lot of actually cool stuff that has been tried widespread there though.

i wonder how much the benefit would be for these things at a mcdonald's. from a lazy quick read i'm thinking 25% of costs are (cheap) labor.

the big money is going to come in health care when robo surgeon and robo anesthesiologist replace 400k+ worth of labor.

Reactions: FESTER665
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info