Not bad for $20
Burn it

IMG_20211112_121157.jpg

Reactions: Aircal

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
usually i'm not all that sore 24 hours after, don't necessarily go to failure, last sets of arbitrary exercise x i'll be doing 6 to 13 reps. i'm sure 13 means "should used more weight ya puss" - but 6 reps and bowing out seems ok. i'll do 5 to 7 sets. i'm guessing this is not optimal, but despite not being sore, that's not a signal that i've done nothing to build/just achieved a pump or something right?

i suspect i should be doing less sets and trying heavier weights, which would help to get me out of the gym faster too. i'm more apt to try a heavier weight on a machine where failure seems a lower risk, or just setting up is less likely for me to fuck something up with bad form, or tweak a joint, etc. i haven't tried more than 60 lb dumbbells on an incline press, partially just cuz the way i kick them up already seems pretty sloppy. i do a standing dumbbell overhead press, i haven't tried more than 45, springing/swinging those fuckers to get them up into place too.

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city
usually i'm not all that sore 24 hours after, don't necessarily go to failure, last sets of arbitrary exercise x i'll be doing 6 to 13 reps. i'm sure 13 means "should used more weight ya puss" - but 6 reps and bowing out seems ok. i'll do 5 to 7 sets. i'm guessing this is not optimal, but despite not being sore, that's not a signal that i've done nothing to build/just achieved a pump or something right?

i suspect i should be doing less sets and trying heavier weights, which would help to get me out of the gym faster too. i'm more apt to try a heavier weight on a machine where failure seems a lower risk, or just setting up is less likely for me to fuck something up with bad form, or tweak a joint, etc. i haven't tried more than 60 lb dumbbells on an incline press, partially just cuz the way i kick them up already seems pretty sloppy. i do a standing dumbbell overhead press, i haven't tried more than 45, springing/swinging those fuckers to get them up into place too.
I would say if your not sore at all your not getting a lot out of it, your definitely getting more than nothing but your leaving a lot on the table, Iā€™m normally sore for 3-4 days after a workout, one thing you can do is drop sets to hit close to failure with less sets do your normal weight for whatever reps you usually hit then immediately drop 10lbs and hit the same reps repeat until you have almost now weight and can barley move it, just do 2-3 drop sets and your good, if you want to go heavier on db press have someone hand you one of the weights and use both hands to get the other one ware you need it or have 2 people hand them off to you if possible, I wouldnā€™t push it too much until you feel like you can control the weight into the position and back out of it, dbā€™s can hurt your joints easy when you loose control of them

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city
I recently found out I can do db press with my jacked up shoulder, I canā€™t bench anymore without pain but after 2 days of messing around I was back to 70lb dbā€™s Iā€™ve been back in the gym for a few weeks now after taking basically a year off, I put 8lbs back on already unfortunately still skinny fat

hereā€™s and old db press video for the heritage I did the 125ā€™s for 9 reps March of 2020 but I had a dislocated ring finger so I had to have them handed off to me aka I cheated lol

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
I would say if your not sore at all your not getting a lot out of it, your definitely getting more than nothing but your leaving a lot on the table, Iā€™m normally sore for 3-4 days after a workout, one thing you can do is drop sets to hit close to failure with less sets do your normal weight for whatever reps you usually hit then immediately drop 10lbs and hit the same reps repeat until you have almost now weight and can barley move it, just do 2-3 drop sets and your good, if you want to go heavier on db press have someone hand you one of the weights and use both hands to get the other one ware you need it or have 2 people hand them off to you if possible, I wouldnā€™t push it too much until you feel like you can control the weight into the position and back out of it, dbā€™s can hurt your joints easy when you loose control of them

on one hand if i'm sore i feel like i've probably done more/am getting more out of it - on the other hand it also means i do a lot less overall work though. eg. the closest i came to failing a squat i remember i was defo pretty sore the next day, which lasted 3-4 as well. but as a result of being sore i also didn't go to muay thai and, coulda worked other stuff, but didn't go to the gym either. so i wonder if there is an advantage to maybe not pushing it that far because of additional volume? either way though i typically start out with a warm up then do a bunch of working sets with the same weight, seems it would be brighter to try and push more or drop and burn out. this whole process takes so much tweaking and trying and patience :p

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city
on one hand if i'm sore i feel like i've probably done more/am getting more out of it - on the other hand it also means i do a lot less overall work though. eg. the closest i came to failing a squat i remember i was defo pretty sore the next day, which lasted 3-4 as well. but as a result of being sore i also didn't go to muay thai and, coulda worked other stuff, but didn't go to the gym either. so i wonder if there is an advantage to maybe not pushing it that far because of additional volume? either way though i typically start out with a warm up then do a bunch of working sets with the same weight, seems it would be brighter to try and push more or drop and burn out. this whole process takes so much tweaking and trying and patience :p
I think it depends on what your trying to do, if you want to gain strength and or muscle sore is a necessity, if your trying to gain endurance and just burn calories just moving weight is all that really matters

MirkosMangle

Regular
Jul 12, 2021
I really miss my crossfit classes. I felt great at that time. Now i only go swimming twice a week and jogging once in a while. Also figured out that It is very important to eat different healthy food and take supplements (i have tons of those from online pharmacy) when doing workouts. My body needs extra calories and good when i get those from some good things and not from sweets and junks.

Reactions: Shawn1112

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
Picked up a baby 30k BTU propane torpedo heater for $85. Should be enough to take the edge off of the garage temps in dead of winter for now. Garage is attached, insulated/insulated door so it doesnā€™t get THAT cold.

i plan on tossing a mini split heat pump in here eventually. Heated and cooled garage FTW.

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
Feeling good, looking a little better. Iā€™ve been doing a recomp for about two months now. Lifts are up, body weight has stayed dead nuts even and Iā€™ve gotten leaner.

bumped my calorie intake up 200 two weeks ago. I was just way too drained and hungry too often. This lets me squeeze in at least another snack to take the edge off when I canā€™t time meals well.

Hit a quick bro lift tonight.
knocked out some incline BB, chins, pull ups, lateral raises and hammer curls.

Iā€™ve been doing push/pull/legs/free day on repeat and taking a rest day when I either have too many obligations or need to rest up.

Reactions: Kizzlebizz

Thread Info