šŸ„ Health Workout chat

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
i did a dexa scan and RMR yesterday. will post the results later after i get some more time.

2 surprising points: i had way less visceral fat than i thought, and way less body fat. by my body fat percentage one might expect me to be somewhat diced, which i am not remotely, because i don't have any muscles lol. but it was way the fuck lower than i thought. like a, that must be wrong, but it's probably not since i had to pay $75 and get a low dose x-ray to get that number, and it should be accurate af.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
ok, so i went to dexafit in gurnee. the guy running the place (chad) is a phd and researcher and has a lot of experience in evaluating body compositions and optimizing for sports performance. i was curious how i would look after years of doing nothing, then slowly doing some stuff in chicago (hiit) in 2019, then starting muay thai and trying to hit the gym a little more seriously (mid 2020) to paying more attention to what i eat (feb 2021) to now.

in thailand, i had a very consistent schedule, of muay thai 3x a week, gym 3x a week, walk most everywhere. beach walk, walk to 7-11 for coffee, walk to the store for food to cook, walk to a restaurant. my island was not only the ideal place to spend covid, but the ideal place to get in better shape. my average day i used at least 3100 calories and consumed 2800.

i ate my way through my last week, way home, and have been staying at my parents house since then. varying degrees on what i eat since mom is making food, i am eating randomly, etc. i've had absolutely 0 days where i've hit 10k fitbit steps, my max calories has been 2900 but average probably 2200? waiting until my finger heals and i have been vaccinated to try muay thai or boxing here (maybe later this week) and occasionally gym at planet fitness. for sure have already added some good old american fat though.

inbody scan 4/8/19: 189.7 lbs, 19.3% body fat
inbody scan 9/15/19: 186.9 lbs, 18.4% body fat
scale in my parents bathroom 7/28: 177 lbs
dexa scan 7/27: 179.5 lbs, 9.2% body fat

my guess was anywhere between 12-17%, realistically thought it was 15 and was hoping for 12. 9.2 is more like "is that machine broken?" but it is the most accurate afaik one can get. am i diced to the socks? fuck no, if you saw me you might wonder if the machine is broken too. i still wonder that a little. i think if anyone saw me that 12-15 would be the fair expectation. if i did cut just 1% more of fat i do think muscles would be a lot more visible, although i think the real reason i am not more dicey is because i have no muscles. i have not worked out long, am not that efficient, and am not that strong. in any case, now i have a cool baseline, and will look to visit and get some more numbers again in a year.

i also did a 3d body scan; i thought it would be gimmicky, although it's a little cool. it was thrown in with the other tests. it takes an infrared scan/builds a 3d model of your body - it's interesting to see the shape is pretty much just like you see in the mirror, but rendered as the shaded computer guy. in any case, what it is really nice for is taking metrics around all points of your body, eg. left and right biceps, hips, waist, thighs, etc. this machine apparently estimated my weight and bmr? although i don't think it had a scale. seemed to do good guesses though (177 and 1741)

i did do a resting metabolic rate (RMR) test, where you have a mask strapped on, try to relax with this thing hugging your face, then breathe for 15 minutes. dexa you are supposed to have not eaten for 2 hours, but this test not for 5. i had not for 7 and was hungry af and dunno how one meal a day or fasting people do it. in any case, one of the expectations here is that your exhaled breath es emitting more fat molecules than carbs or sugar ones because you are in this fasted state. the predicted rate for a whole day (of rest) was 1752 calories. from there there's 5 exercise expenditures that would predict your day rate based on various activity levels.

how did the last one compare to online calculators? i do have info saved from one of the top google ones you'll see; at 179 lbs my estimates from it appear to be generally 350 calories higher. so if i strictly went off them to try and lose weight, i'd be overeating. not sure if that also means my metabolism is slower than the average person at this height/weight, or if that is even a good vs. bad thing, at present i guess just an observation.

i didn't do it, but they also had a vo2 max test, which was basically the mask but exerting yourself to exhaustion over 15 minutes on a treadmill or a bike (your bike you bring in) - i saw some example results, and it was interesting to see based on the exhaled breath composition, where someone's heart rate and body went from them in a fat burning mode into a carb burning mode, in which case your body will not be able to sustain itself unless refueled with carbs - seemed like really interesting info for people big into cardio or endurance sports.

Reactions: FirstWorldProblems

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
vs. wall of text, i'll post 3 pics

1. acquiring mass/cheating my $4000 bet start, you can find the 2019 thread i made on this weight loss bet
2. post completed bet wins/179 lbs HIIT end of 2019
3. bathroom lighting some flex pic 30 minutes ago, also 179 lbs, after a year of muay thai, some newb lifting, and 6mo of paying attention to diet

2019_06_07.jpg

2019_12_04.jpg

PXL_20210728_205419385.jpg

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
what is doing the most lifting is definitely the bathroom lights. relaxed i don't look like that, out in the sunlight my abs would be the most fragile vampires ever, banished away never to be seen again/until i visit the bathroom.

if i was in thailand i think i'd have kept on trucking, at home my calorie consumption and burn are both super off, and next week at planet pizza i'm being sure to hit up both free pizza monday evening and free bagel tuesday morning, despite that i would normally not do bagels ever at this point, and my pizzas tend to be as anabolic as possible. (for ready made stuff, quest has decent macros btw)

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
Reactions: 1quick

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
Really thought I had gotten more rides and mileage in for July.

1627796573047.png

Did get two rides in today. Wauponsee Glacial Trail, which was really nice and I plan on doing it again:
Wauponsee-Glacial-Trail.jpg

Then checked out Old Plank Rd Trail since it was a fairly straight 20 or so miles, which the reviews said it was bumpy. That was an understatement. Lots of tree roots pushed up the asphalt causing bumps and ridges. Thought I was going to lose some fillings. Had to give up after 5.5 miles and turn back. You spend more time staring 30' in front of you watching for the next group of shocks than you do enjoying the ride or the scenery.
Old-Plank-Rd---Stats.jpg

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
so anabolic kitchen chicagobro here came out with a recipe that is a pretty looking protein pizza:

i have done some pizza analysis (i have a spreadsheet) comparing all sorts of ready make/eat type pizzas; quest actually makes the best stuff you can just pop out of a freezer - at least as far as macros are concerned.

up until his at least; his macros blow theirs away. so does mina's (actual chef) - he has a new pizza vid here:

it involves amazingly little kneading effort, vs. the original recipe i think he's mentioning here:

one of the things i like about mina is he actually explains some more of the process going on.

back to the original/exercise4cheatmeal - i was intimidated doing any of these vs. my pancake/brownie because they look like so much more effort, and the dough seems easy to fuck up (thus why mina came out with his easy recipe). what e4m does in 5 minutes on the 500th dough he's ever made, i literally spent 45+ and not sure i even did it correctly on my first and only dough. i simply got tired of working it when i stopped, i did not get a "window test" as nice as his, and wasn't sure what else i needed to do to get there or what i was doing wrong.

that being said, i have yet to make the pizza - i have 2 doughs in the fridge. they keep up for a week and he noted they get better over time. i did make the sauce like he did - it tastes pretty fucking great. i am eager to try out the pizza.

the dough was pretty impressive when i let it rest the hour in the microwave (no power) - opening the microwave door it was warm; the dough bowl had grown warm enough for some moisture to condensate, and my dough rose *a fuckton* which was cool and exciting to see. letting it out and working it down to a chunk to separate, it seemed to get close to original size. neat stuff.

actual pizza i'll either make today or tomorrow. likely at some point today.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
nice looking place.

i got all excited for planet pizza, went there earlier when it was busy even to get a fresh and hot pie. first monday of the month at planet fitness in the evening, then bagel tuesday morning the day after.

of course, there was no pizza, which i thought might happen because of covid. i still asked, and they were like no we haven't done that forever because of covid you idiot. and i was like ohhh yah makes sense. been a while since i've been around here though!

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
good gdamn fellas, made the 3rd recipe in this vid

and the thing was gdamn huge. i was like what is this guy talking about? he can put that fucker down, surely me too.

nFI2Db6.jpg

nuh uh. i mean i did it, but shouldn't have. my pancake yield is pretty sizable at 300g, this bread cake fella and frosting was 562g. it's definitely 2 sittings (if not more). my macros beat his (ended up at 522 calories, 82g protein) - i had flavor fatigue too though. i need half the frosting, would like to try and improve it too; flavor of my bread i think would benefit from more vanilla and cinnamon than i used.

this thing was 63% protein. the highest actual food i track i have after it is 40-50% which is quite high. didn't think i'd ever have something this high in percentage, i beat the macros in the vid due to my bread and yogurt choices.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
decided to try a cali'flour crust, same cals as my pizza pot pie, drastically less complexity, also happens to be high protein.

ended up burning it a bit (particularly when using broiler) - still tasted great though (including burnt bits, as they are primarily cauliflower and mozzarella) - had almost as much sauce as my pot pie, but less cheese. in the end, lower cals, similar weight, more protein due to the crust, less carbs due to the crust, and vastly less time/complexity.

593 calories
57g protein
23g carbs
(3 dietary fiber)

qbwKqn1.jpg

E1pMXDH.jpg

3ylFZCI.jpg

7ePnvoS.jpg

planet pizza today for upper body stuff.

going to try a kickboxing place tomorrow (although not muay thai)

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
i just did the kickbox session. didn't mind the heat because i spent 12 months doing it outside in thailand :D where i was also quite spoiled. like i held pads for the first time today with another classmate. and they for me. i think this is quite normal here but just one difference, among very many, is that a pro was always doing it for me in thailand. in any case, still fun and good practice, and first punches and kicks i've thrown since thailand. planet pizza has no heavy bags, those would be for lunks of course.

LikeABauce302

TCG Elite Member
Aug 27, 2013
South suburbs
Real Name
Matt
I've taken the last 2 nights off. About 2 weeks ago, I had a hard collision playing hockey. Hard enough to break the plastic knee cap part of my shin guards. It hurt, but I didn't think anything of it at the time and kept playing. It bothered me for a few days and then started to feel better. Monday night I decided to give a leg workout a try, plus was feeling ambitious, so did 20 minutes on the elliptical. Woke up Tuesday with my knee pretty sore. Today it was noticably better. Hopefully I didn't mess something up and it heals on it's own. I'm going to take it easy on my legs and get back in the gym tomorrow for an upper body workout.

Getting old sucks lol. Falling or getting hit playing hockey actually hurts now compared to when I was 18.

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city
I wake up this morning and tell myself Iā€™m tired of being out of shape and feeling like shit all the time, mainly my back always hurts because my gut has gotten so big, Iā€™m done drinking again starting today, I felt so much better without alcohol for the 3-4 years I quit, anyway I went on a struggle bus bike ride today and it was fairly brutal

D0F74E62-240F-4B3B-84BF-87B70653585C.png

Thread Info