šŸ„ Health Workout chat

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
Did a fair amount yesterday
View attachment 89453

Actually, I didn't, lol. The Fitbit I have (Charge 2), is fooled when I ride one of the motorcycles, in this case, the cruiser. No way I'm doing 108 floors. Though I think I did more when I did the Manitou incline in Colorado. I'll have to go back and see what that tracked it. Not sure how many "flights" ~2800 steps is.

unfortunately have the same, like my scoot ups my count, stiff suspension in the brz used to as well. i think you can do some standard and manual adjustments but that is all quite a pain. i wonder how much it borks your calorie count, given your heartrate is lower. eg. might be nice to use only your heart rate and ignore steps although i'm guessing the calorie counter doesn't do that.

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
Did a fair amount yesterday
View attachment 89453

Actually, I didn't, lol. The Fitbit I have (Charge 2), is fooled when I ride one of the motorcycles, in this case, the cruiser. No way I'm doing 108 floors. Though I think I did more when I did the Manitou incline in Colorado. I'll have to go back and see what that tracked it. Not sure how many "flights" ~2800 steps is.
Darn, it didn't capture the number of floors for the incline, cause I had it set to "hike".
1621267626549.png

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
So whose a fan of tire flips?

And whose not?
Never did that and have no desire to.

My son on the other hand. For about 6-7yrs during wrestling season. They would practice/drill 5 days a week for for 2-2.5 hours then the last 30 min was a cardio/strength circuit. Rope climb 20' high, tire flip to one side and back 50ish feet each way, then a full speed sprint around the gym. 2-3 minute break then repeat 4 more times. That was fucking brutal lol. Tell you what though, that was a big reason why they were a top 10 team in the country at the time.

• Wow
Reactions: FirstWorldProblems

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
Managed to get in a 22 mile bicycle ride. That wind wore me down, again. About halfway back to the truck I could feel my energy just dropping.

Somehow I managed to hit 368mph. Damn near went plaid! I started using the Garmin Connect app for logging. even though I don't have a Garmin device. Have to export from Fitbit and import to Garmin (just like the MapMyXXXX apps). Seems that there is a long standing (like the last 6 years) known-issue where you get speed spikes when importing TCX files.

This weekend, if I get the chance and have the energy, think I'm going to start in downtown Wheaton and run the Prairie Path south spur out to the Fox River, then go north to Elgin, and catch the Elgin spur back into Wheaton. I'm guessing it'll be like 50 or 60 miles. As long as I can replenish my water I'll take my time and enjoy it.
1621569846898.png

Reactions: bmoore04 and Aircal

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
Question, anyone have suggestions for like a slow-release energy supplement? Iā€™m trying to find something thatā€™ll give me a little boost of energy over a long period, like 2-4 hours, instead of a spike of energy that lasts for 20-30 minutes.

Basically something to help when I do these long bicycle rides that are 20-40 miles and 2-4 hours.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
Question, anyone have suggestions for like a slow-release energy supplement? Iā€™m trying to find something thatā€™ll give me a little boost of energy over a long period, like 2-4 hours, instead of a spike of energy that lasts for 20-30 minutes.

Basically something to help when I do these long bicycle rides that are 20-40 miles and 2-4 hours.

isn't this where 2 hours in you slowly release the granola bar from your bag :D

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
Monday/chest day, why wouldnt it be lol. 2 younger kids on the flat bench next to me. Both maybe Jr or Sr in HS and about 160lbs-175lbs both hitting 245lbs, I was impressed. I work my way up to 335 and out the corner of my eye I see the kids watching like I'm going to drop the weight on my chest lol. Go up to 365 and asked one of the kids to spot me, watching them spot each other I could tell they knew what they were doing. Tell him I'm only going for 3 reps, well those 3 came easy enough that I did 5. So in the meantime the kids are BSing with me and asking how old I was and how long I have been lifting. Told them I'm 45 and have been at it 6-7 years and I wish I had started when I was their age. One kid says, no disrespect, but I did not think you could lift that much as you dont look all cut up or jacked. Told them, never judge a book by its cover and dont ever lets someones physique fool you. So feeling good, said fuck it, shooting for 405 today. Asked the kid to spot me again and told him only shooting for 1. Other kid says "no homo, but can I record this" I literally busted out laughing and lost all my focus. Took me a few minutes to re-focus, wound up putting up 2 clean reps and the 3rd I stalled about a 3rd of the way up. Yes the kid recorded it.

Reactions: SpeedSpeak2me

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
Monday/chest day, why wouldnt it be lol. 2 younger kids on the flat bench next to me. Both maybe Jr or Sr in HS and about 160lbs-175lbs both hitting 245lbs, I was impressed. I work my way up to 335 and out the corner of my eye I see the kids watching like I'm going to drop the weight on my chest lol. Go up to 365 and asked one of the kids to spot me, watching them spot each other I could tell they knew what they were doing. Tell him I'm only going for 3 reps, well those 3 came easy enough that I did 5. So in the meantime the kids are BSing with me and asking how old I was and how long I have been lifting. Told them I'm 45 and have been at it 6-7 years and I wish I had started when I was their age. One kid says, no disrespect, but I did not think you could lift that much as you dont look all cut up or jacked. Told them, never judge a book by its cover and dont ever lets someones physique fool you. So feeling good, said fuck it, shooting for 405 today. Asked the kid to spot me again and told him only shooting for 1. Other kid says "no homo, but can I record this" I literally busted out laughing and lost all my focus. Took me a few minutes to re-focus, wound up putting up 2 clean reps and the 3rd I stalled about a 3rd of the way up. Yes the kid recorded it.
Those are some serious weights I can only dream of, even the 245lbs.

As for being jacked, you're exactly right. I have a friend that is about 6' tall and was roughly 350lbs, most of it was fat hanging off of droopy muscles (his words). He went and a friend went on a liquid diet and started doing cardio and lifting. He got down to about 220lbs and looked so much better. They dropped the liquid diet and he ballooned up to close to 400lbs, but had continued to lift, so the new muscles were under all the fat. I had no idea of this history, as he would make self-deprecating fat jokes.

Back in 1994 or 1995 while at work my g/f stopped by for lunch. When leaving her tire was flat. Okay, no biggie, grab the jack and slap on the spare. Her brother had borrowed her car and took everything out of the trunk, including the spare and jack. Buddy says, "no problem, i'll lift the back of the car while you take the wheel off". What? Dude, it's a 1985 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera (the small one). He swore he could do it. Okay. I loosen the lug nuts and prep to get the wheel off and slap a block of wood under the rear hub to hold it up.

Sure enough he gets up against the bumper, grabs it, then deadlifts the back of the car up enough for me to get the wheel off. Fuck me. About a week later he was prepping his truck to put on a 8' Western plow. I'm at one end lifting with everything I have, dropping my nuts on the ground, and can't get it high enough for him to put the pins in. He walk over grabs it, and lifts it up like a puppy.

It was then he told me the history of his weight and lifting. Just couldn't believe how strong he was with all the extra weight of fat that he was carrying around. He finally quit smoking and started to eat healthy, following close to his nutritionist's orders but just couldn't drop the weight. Ended up peaking around 450-460lbs and had the lapro-band stomach surgery and got down to about 250lbs, but stresses from work put the weight back on. That was about 20 years ago, and he's walking around about 350lbs, but still watches what he eats, eased up on the drinking, and still no smoking. He can't believe he has lived this long.

Reactions: Shawn1112

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
resisted going to get my standard diabetes smoothie bowl after the gym today - helps if i bring no money. will go tomorrow for it anyway, muay thai day though so burns more calories.

some firsts for me today,
tried incline press with 27.5 kg dumbbells, got 8 reps the first time
tried standing overhead press with 20kg dumbbells, i need to swing them the f up there, 9 reps
got 100 tricep dips in, unweighted, across 6 sets

did 6 sets of a circuit of incline press, overhead press, calf raise, tricep dip. after that did 4 of some not so heavy squats and some rows. subsequent sets of the above dropped reps then weight but nice to find out i could make those happen.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
first attempt at making protein ice cream. makes me wonder if my food scale is accurate, fuck it came out pretty good. wondering if i can get more volume. i suppose thickness is largely based on how much additional ice i add and how much gum i use? used guar gum, it wasn't super thick (wouldn't pass holding it above your head test) - stuff was pretty fucking good though. i believe i had 1 liter of ice cream at around 450 calories and 49 grams of protein.

i think the lowest calorie quick approximation would be an oreo mcflurry, 340 cal 8 protein for 190 gram serving. dunno my ice cream density so no actual weight for me (nor would it be consistent batch to batch) but i sure have a lot more and it hit the craving just as well.

next up i'll be trying some version of lazy man quick protein mug brownie.

voAxdV2.jpg

B9zHGV6.jpg

2DEGb1s.jpg

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
Question, any recommendations on post-workout muscle fuel? For example, if I do a 20, 30, or 40 mile bicycle ride I'm looking for something to help the muscles so they're not still sore/fatigued 2-3 days later.

I did a 22 mile ride on Wednesday and I'm still feeling it in my legs, and it wasn't even a strained ride, more along the lines of casual.

bmoore04

TCG Elite Member
Jul 30, 2010
Winfield IL
Started working out and dieting back in March. Primarily doing cardio but looking to add some weight lifting in now that I am getting close to my target weight. I started at 263 and am down to 217. I am by no means skinny but I feel comfortable between 210-215. What lifts/exercises do you guys recommend starting with as a noob? Not really looking to get jacked but maybe a little more toned than I am now.

Aircal

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Nov 10, 2008
Countryside
Real Name
Tom callahan
Started working out and dieting back in March. Primarily doing cardio but looking to add some weight lifting in now that I am getting close to my target weight. I started at 263 and am down to 217. I am by no means skinny but I feel comfortable between 210-215. What lifts/exercises do you guys recommend starting with as a noob? Not really looking to get jacked but maybe a little more toned than I am now.

This is nice. When you click on the individual lift it gives you a short video of the movement. Also has details on what muscles are being worked.

Reactions: bmoore04

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
Just coming in here to reiterate the importance of push-ups with good form. I find myself going two months without doing them, then when I do 5-6 good sets, the next day I can really feel it in my serratus muscles (an important muscle group for pec/shoulder health).

Heavy emphasis on "good form", youtube it. You should have your shoulder blades low and locked at the bottom and fully extended forward at the top. No shrugging your shoulders like a moron

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
my company is going to make me leave thailand. have a fawkton of stuff here to sell/take care of/eat - including 20kg of protein powder. tried 2 new things today, brownie and pancakes. macros great on both, brownie was microwaved. too long, batter needs some work, brownie needs more interesting tidbits of something. pb2 and air fryer arriving tomorrow. blows arse i'm getting an air fryer and just bought fancy blender aaaand i'm probably going to need to leave the country in like a month.

pancakes were pretty fawking on point.

if i make 2 protein things a day, it seems fairly trivial to hit protein goals, plus the things i make usually are intended to also be high volume. so i end up able to eat a lot. today it will be the pancakes, a small keto slice of bread, brownie with americano, dinner i had a triple cheeseburger (no bottom bun) and some corn, about to have a spicy fish and rice 7-11 thing, and 1.5-2 pints of protein frozen sorbet. that will put me at 215g protein (goal 200) and 2600 calories. i went to muay thai today, being super conservative i think i'll burn 2800 calories today (really i think more like 3100)

so yeah, seems like you can make 2 protein things a day, do some version of workout/active lifestyle, and end up leaning out while eating fucking pancakes and ice cream. which means i've been doing the first 40 years of my life all wrong, and just getting fat for no reason

197210377_10108880146666999_1285752285644987301_n.jpeg

193691200_10108879658510269_7284862241287377125_n.jpeg

Thread Info