šŸ„ Health Workout chat

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
I was having lower back issues especially when I would dead lift or squat heavy. I started finishing off with an exercise where you bend forward and on an angled bench then lift your upper half by your lower back muscles. I wish I knew the actual name for the bench but it's usually at a 45 degree angle with pads for your thighs and it holds the back of your heels in. I do that with a 10-25 lbs. plate. That plus strengthening my core helped a ton.

Edit: This is it. Every gym I've been to has one.

View attachment 66747
Ahh, the Roman Chair! I saw a variation of that when I was going to LifeTime.. and I was doing exactly what you suggested, using a light plate. I completely forgot about this one! We'd also do it while turned 90Ā° to work the obliques.

I'm at Planet Fitness now, will need to see if they have one. Well, when I get back to getting to the gym.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
I was having lower back issues especially when I would dead lift or squat heavy. I started finishing off with an exercise where you bend forward and on an angled bench then lift your upper half by your lower back muscles. I wish I knew the actual name for the bench but it's usually at a 45 degree angle with pads for your thighs and it holds the back of your heels in. I do that with a 10-25 lbs. plate. That plus strengthening my core helped a ton.

View attachment 66747

i never try that fella out but makes sense. one of the DL vids i just watched mentioned a problem some people have is due to weak hips and this appears to be a good exercise to help out with that.

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim

View attachment 66747
So, just got back from Chiro, asked about doing the Roman Chair, he sad "excellent exercise for your SI issue". So wanted to give you some props Lead Pipe Lead Pipe (y)

Intel

TCG Elite Member
Oct 28, 2009
Palatine

View attachment 66747
Lower back muscular issues seem to almost always stem from poor core. I just got done with 9 weeks of PT to start me down the road to fixing how bad I let my back get. I just kept on reinjuring mine until the point where my right side of my lower body is stronger than the left (I am left handed and it was always the opposite) Still a long way to go but as much as I hate doing core, I hate lower back pain even more. First few weeks was basically reteaching left hamstring/glute to actually fire. A bout of sciattica finally got me into the doctors office, that shit is no joke.

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
Lower back muscular issues seem to almost always stem from poor core. I just got done with 9 weeks of PT to start me down the road to fixing how bad I let my back get. I just kept on reinjuring mine until the point where my right side of my lower body is stronger than the left (I am left handed and it was always the opposite) Still a long way to go but as much as I hate doing core, I hate lower back pain even more. First few weeks was basically reteaching left hamstring/glute to actually fire. A bout of sciattica finally got me into the doctors office, that shit is no joke.
Years ago when I was working out regularly, like 45-60 minute spin classes followed by another 30-60 of lifting, a friend and decided to try out the beginner's Core class. Out pathetic assess didn't make it ten minutes till we were shot. Not as good as we thought we were, lol.

So, yeah, I need to work on core.

Reactions: Intel

Bird1989

Regular
Dec 24, 2015
WOW, big boy, no homo!
I think your bench goal is way under, I'd bet you could hit 405 within 4-5 months if you wanted to
DL with or without straps?

I'd love to be able to hit a big bench like that but I'm not built to be a big bencher, my wing span makes a bit difficult, and I do hook grip whenever I do deadlift singles, grip strength isn't an issue for me. I'm also not what I would consider remotely "big" at all.

Spivitz

The Throttle is ur friend
TCG Premium
Oct 5, 2012
So, I'm without my gear for a week... Might go into withdrawal... I put that bench together 1997. It's presently loaded on the trailer, ready to roll south
:rofl:

20200910_113649.jpg

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
i never try that fella out but makes sense. one of the DL vids i just watched mentioned a problem some people have is due to weak hips and this appears to be a good exercise to help out with that.
Basically anyone that sits a lot has glutes, hips, and hamstrings that are both weak and inflexible. This does not bode well for deadlifts

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
Slow stroll today . Time to watch tour da France

View attachment 66901
I should come down by you with the bicycle and do a ride out to the river on the PP. Havenā€™t ridden the south branch out of Wheaton since like 1988.

My mom lives just southeast of the DuPage county complex. Was going to park there then ride up to Roosevelt/Carlton and catch the PP south. Maybe next weekend.

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
Chest day today and over the last couple of weeks some dude at the gym has been trying to become my friend making small talk.
On days when I'm going HAM and I have a good amount of pre in me, I want to focus and focus only on hitting the weights hard.
Today he see's me and makes some small talk. I go over to incline bench and grab some 30lb DB to warm up. He comes and grabs the flat bench next to me and proceeds to make small talk in between my warm up sets. I'm giving him short answers hoping he gets the hint to leave me TF alone. I get up to 100lb DB and he says, hey bro if you need a spot I got you. I reply if I wanted a fucking spot I would ask. Still doesnt get the hint. Still making small talk between sets. Get up to 120lb DB, I cant kick those all the way up with my legs. So I usually kick them to my chest, pause to get in a good position then start pressing them. This MFer thought I was struggling to get them up and kneels down and starts popping my elbows to get the DB up. I dropped them hoping they landed on his fucking legs and lost my shit. I stood up and told him, dont ever fucking touch me again unless I ask for help, wtf is wrong with you. He said he thought I needed help, told him thinking will get him fucked up if he ever touches me again. Completely ruined my fucking workout, lost all concentration after that. He actually waited for me outside and apologized, at which point I did too. But told him dont ever do that shit again, if you feel the need to help ask me if I need help.

Thread Info