šŸ„ Health Workout chat

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
So who is actually back in the gym? It's been a few weeks since they opened up. Are they near empty or are they hitting that 50% number on a regular?
Iā€™m giving it another month or two before I return. Until then Iā€™ll still be a concave-chested pot bellied 46 yr old with a bad shoulder, and bony knees, lol.

Might try a leisurely bicycle ride after work today.

SirMarco

of Pingree Grove
May 11, 2009
Pingree Grove
I've been running fairly regularly and lifting in my basement (late 90's Bowflex setup).
I'm not to worried about getting sick except when it comes to the gym. I really want to go back now but I also want to give it more time as well. If I saw more people clean off equipment on a regular before Covid, I'd be a bit more OK. Yeah I always clean off what ever I use before and after but I still get weirded out by it.
I've really been thinking harder about turning a part of my basement into a gym. It's 1400 sqft. I can cancel my memberships and dedicate that coin to equipment.

blakbearddelite

I'm not one of your 'shit-hole' buddies!
TCG Premium
Jun 28, 2007
FL
At-home gym equipment has become so expensive. I bought a nice weight set from Galyan's back in the early 2000's. I think I paid less than $1k for it. I had just been thinking about replacing it with something more robust, but it looks like similar Smith machine equipment now sells in the thousands of dollars range.

This is what I have currently (stole picture from interwebs).
c36bb43a5d284bafa62b701bf63efedb.jpg

It looks like people are selling these things used for barely less than I paid for it brand new.

Reactions: Shawn1112

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
At-home gym equipment has become so expensive. I bought a nice weight set from Galyan's back in the early 2000's. I think I paid less than $1k for it. I had just been thinking about replacing it with something more robust, but it looks like similar Smith machine equipment now sells in the thousands of dollars range.

This is what I have currently (stole picture from interwebs).
c36bb43a5d284bafa62b701bf63efedb.jpg

It looks like people are selling these things used for barely less than I paid for it brand new.
As mentioned before in this thread. Last year you could get plates and dumbells for .50-.75 per lb. Those prices are over $2 per lb now.

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
My bench shipped Friday, should be here by end of day Thursday!

started lifting actual weights again on Saturday for the first time in 6mos. Doing every other day right now, full body sticking to a 6-8 rep range. Squat, deadlift and ring dips Plus a couple accessory movements. Iā€™m going to give this maybe 4-6 weeks until some more of my strength is back and Iā€™m recovering better from frequency.

also, jumped on a scale for the first time in 6mos. 196. Heavier than I thought Iā€™d be. Iā€™m a naturally skinny dude, figured Iā€™d be high 180s.

goal is just a recomp to get rid of the COVID beer gut I sorta developed, get some stability and strength back. Iā€™ll re eval after 6 weeks.

bimmer4life

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Feb 18, 2008
Wheaton, Illinois
So just over 34 miles. Quads are shot. The last 10-15 miles I could have sworn a brake was dragging, if not, my ass certainly was, lol.

Ended up taking a break where the trail crosses RT 59. Those Jersey barrier are just the right angle to relax against.

View attachment 64690
So just over 34 miles. Quads are shot. The last 10-15 miles I could have sworn a brake was dragging, if not, my ass certainly was, lol.

Ended up taking a break where the trail crosses RT 59. Those Jersey barrier are just the right angle to relax against.

View attachment 64690
Wow nice. Way to keep going. Badass man

Reactions: SpeedSpeak2me

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
how long do you guys work out?

i'm lazy/weak and just starting to work out, relatively slow GAINZ probably in part to how i work out. which used to be some hiit stuff in chicago and just winging some gym stuff here in thailand. it was relatively cheap ($40 iirc) so i bought a program from jeff nippard; the upper/lower body program is 4 days a week. i'm here on a muay thai education visa now, so i basically do muay thai m w f and upper/lower workouts the 4 other days of the week.

initially i started doing something like the upper variation set 1; 3 sets of 7 exercises. then the next upper day a set of same/similar exercises again 3 sets of 7 exercises. this typically took me ~60 minutes.

lately i've been making a larger set; because some exercises i don't like, think i may perform wrong, have no one to spot me on, etc; a whole bunch of reasons. what i will actually do on an upper day now is 10-12 exercises, and for most try to do 4 sets. this also ends up taking me 90-120 minutes. it is way more time consuming and any 'fun' is wearing off at the end as is more of a grind. i may or may not even be trashed at any given thing at the end. am i just wasting time trying to do too many exercises?

i'm thinking if i do 4 sets of dips and cross things off, that it would be matter for me to trade 1 more set of dips for a set of 4 new exercises, since it should wear me down even more on the dips. overall if i'm able to do this quantity of total exercises it's probably pretty arguable i am using too light of weight as well. although i hesitate to step up in weight because my form is not so hot either. so have i sabotaged myself thinking these 120 minute sessions would be better than 60 minute ones, and i should be focused on just doing a 60 minute one harder/heavier?

Reactions: Spivitz

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
This week's work outs will incorporate walking down to their boat dock and walking back up, OMG was a lot tougher yesterday at 90+ degrees....... Hahaha

i work mostly US hours but take my 8am muay thai classes m w f because it's the coolest part of the day and there are more beginners / less serious guys than at 4pm. at most right now i get 5 hours before class which kinda blows though. our class is in an open gym (no doors windows etc), already sweating a ton after a 15 minute warm up (actually my least favorite part) - by 45 minutes into the class, there is not a dry piece of clothing on my body. my shirt is entirely sweat, shorts all sweat, during the 10-15 minute cool down (90 min class total) i'm just stretching yet creating a pool on the floor.

this is a legit gym but it is also a farang / white person / tourist version of any training, the real real training i think involves a minimum of a 10 mile 5am run every day, and 4+ hours (straight) of training. that is actually for kids (7-14?) who go to school in between. who are also kind of sold into this way of life/thai mafia by poor families. those gyms will not let you attend anything unless you are actually fighting either i believe.

Spivitz

The Throttle is ur friend
TCG Premium
Oct 5, 2012
how long do you guys work out?

i'm lazy/weak and just starting to work out, relatively slow GAINZ probably in part to how i work out. which used to be some hiit stuff in chicago and just winging some gym stuff here in thailand. it was relatively cheap ($40 iirc) so i bought a program from jeff nippard; the upper/lower body program is 4 days a week. i'm here on a muay thai education visa now, so i basically do muay thai m w f and upper/lower workouts the 4 other days of the week.

initially i started doing something like the upper variation set 1; 3 sets of 7 exercises. then the next upper day a set of same/similar exercises again 3 sets of 7 exercises. this typically took me ~60 minutes.

lately i've been making a larger set; because some exercises i don't like, think i may perform wrong, have no one to spot me on, etc; a whole bunch of reasons. what i will actually do on an upper day now is 10-12 exercises, and for most try to do 4 sets. this also ends up taking me 90-120 minutes. it is way more time consuming and any 'fun' is wearing off at the end as is more of a grind. i may or may not even be trashed at any given thing at the end. am i just wasting time trying to do too many exercises?

i'm thinking if i do 4 sets of dips and cross things off, that it would be matter for me to trade 1 more set of dips for a set of 4 new exercises, since it should wear me down even more on the dips. overall if i'm able to do this quantity of total exercises it's probably pretty arguable i am using too light of weight as well. although i hesitate to step up in weight because my form is not so hot either. so have i sabotaged myself thinking these 120 minute sessions would be better than 60 minute ones, and i should be focused on just doing a 60 minute one harder/heavier?

I try to do something, every single day whether it's two to three power laps on MTB which only take 6 min per run at a decent place.

I try to lift weights at least 4 times per week, some weeks I'm lifting seven days.
I average 45-60min lifting.

It's all about consistency, get in a groove and stay there.

I've been in maintenance mode the last ten years. My point, I just want to maintain what I have, don't care about additional muscle growth, benching 300+lbs etc.

Those days are over anyhow..... My older bones ache :rofl:

Keep it up Bro, I intend on staying in shape for Life :bigthumb:

Reactions: sickmint79

bimmer4life

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Feb 18, 2008
Wheaton, Illinois
Did another 25 miles today. Went into the wind first so if I was tired on the way back Iā€™d have some assistance. Wind changed direction 180Ā° during the ride. The last few miles definitely drained what energy I had left.

View attachment 64932
Them MPH be creeping up. Nice work !;) Keep up the motivation.

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
Was actually closer to 25 miles. Maybe a tad more. Paused my watch right before I left and rode a while before I realized it. Then did it again when I stopped and chatted with someone. Oops.

Wasnā€™t trying to set any records today, just a nice ride. I really need to get the pedals with clips and the shoes. I could be so much more efficient. Canā€™t find them in wide sizes though.

52E999AA-961B-4864-A6FB-5B1316CAEEC4.jpeg

Thread Info