šŸ„ Health Workout chat

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
Went to the "commercial gym" yesterday, anytime fitness, for the first time in a couple weeks. Typically nowadays I end up doing cardio 3-4 times a week, f45 twice a week, and the commercial gym 0-1 times a week.

The standard for "trainers" was never high, but holy shit did I witness some nonsense yesterday. 20 or 30-something fat trainer that looks like she's never exercised once in her life was putting a 50-60 something lady through the absolute worst workout I've ever seen. I guarantee this "trainer" could not do a single pushup with proper form. Worse than that is that she had a stupid timer that went off every 15-20 seconds that you could hear through the whole gym.

The client would have been better off walking outside as exercise. I was embarrassed for everyone involved.

What ever happened to the clueless-but-fit early 20yo's that become trainers so that they can avoid getting a real job, they at least would produce some intensity during their sessions...sometimes

Reactions: LikeABauce302

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city
Went to the "commercial gym" yesterday, anytime fitness, for the first time in a couple weeks. Typically nowadays I end up doing cardio 3-4 times a week, f45 twice a week, and the commercial gym 0-1 times a week.

The standard for "trainers" was never high, but holy shit did I witness some nonsense yesterday. 20 or 30-something fat trainer that looks like she's never exercised once in her life was putting a 50-60 something lady through the absolute worst workout I've ever seen. I guarantee this "trainer" could not do a single pushup with proper form. Worse than that is that she had a stupid timer that went off every 15-20 seconds that you could hear through the whole gym.

The client would have been better off walking outside as exercise. I was embarrassed for everyone involved.

What ever happened to the clueless-but-fit early 20yo's that become trainers so that they can avoid getting a real job, they at least would produce some intensity during their sessions...sometimes
My gym is all the 20-25 year old want to be fitness influencer trainers, nice to look at, definitely do some super stupid exercises but also, nice to look at so Iā€™m cool with it lol

Spivitz

The Throttle is ur friend
TCG Premium
Oct 5, 2012
Been neglecting my core, intending on crunches every day.

Fitness for Life ?

20230607_083621.jpg

Reactions: Shawn1112

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
I have been a fat fuck lazy POS the last 6 months. I've been to the gym 0 times the last 3 weeks. Prior to that it was once maybe twice a week if I was lucky.
Had maybe a month long stretch where I was doing my normal 3-4 days. After this wedding stuff is over, I need to get back into my normal routine. The past 7-8yrs I have been in the gym consistently. I just think the combination of working on my 71 which feels like was 2-3 months, being busy AF at work and just life got in my way.

Reactions: Aircal

Blownbyyou

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Mar 27, 2008
I have been a fat fuck lazy POS the last 6 months. I've been to the gym 0 times the last 3 weeks. Prior to that it was once maybe twice a week if I was lucky.
Had maybe a month long stretch where I was doing my normal 3-4 days. After this wedding stuff is over, I need to get back into my normal routine. The past 7-8yrs I have been in the gym consistently. I just think the combination of working on my 71 which feels like was 2-3 months, being busy AF at work and just life got in my way.

Itā€™s funny I was just thinking the same effing thingā€¦ kids, work, pool, life has made me have no motivationā€¦

I miss the days of no responsibility except gym, work, drinking

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
Whoa.

Aircal

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Nov 10, 2008
Countryside
Real Name
Tom callahan
In St Louis for the weekend. Hit the gym yesterday with my son for chest. I'll be hurting for sure...lol Anyways set a new personal for flat bench. Still below my goal but haven't been working bench.
After failing to move up a weight on flat bench did drop down and knocked out 10 reps. Then did 5 more sets of lower weight with 10 reps each.

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
My disdain for mainstream gyms & low IQ meatheads continues to grow stronger. Went to the gym by my old house over the weekend. One semi-muscular dude with back acne was there with his skinny fat friend and they were deadlifting, if you can call it that. There's two squat/DL racks in the whole gym, they had one set up where they were just sitting and the other had a 495# bar in front of it. Steroid dude amped himself up for 5 mins, tried one rep and failed. Then, in a move that shocked the whole gym, his friend amped himself up for 5 mins and tried it, and of course the bar didn't even budge a millimeter. Rinse and repeat multiple times with plenty of yelling and jumping around. In 25 minutes they didn't do a single fucking rep, much less an actual set.

Then there was one slow-paced semi muscular 50-something guy that was alternating between bench and tricep rope pulldowns. BUT he had the rope on the inside of the cable station rather than any of the multiple (4+) standalone cable setups, so if you wanted to do flys you were SOL. I asked him if he was still using it and he said yes, I just let it go and did something else. Same shit, he had it on there for 20+ mins. Dude would do 5ish reps of bench then just bullshit for a few minutes, then do a few reps of triceps and sit around for a few more minutes. How fucking dense are you. If you want to waste your time that's fine, but don't unnecessarily take up prime equipment for your joke of a "workout"

Jimy Bilmo

CSVT OG Member
TCG Premium
TCG Goldmember
Aug 16, 2005
Started 75 hard - on day 3 today.

Been slacking and needed something to kick my ass in to gear and hold myself accountable. Looking forward to it honestly.
I've done it, results are ridiculously good. Just hone in your diet, the first time I did it, I was an asshole because I didn't dial in my diet appropriately. Second time was MUCHHHH better.

Reactions: Caleb515

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
My disdain for mainstream gyms & low IQ meatheads continues to grow stronger. Went to the gym by my old house over the weekend. One semi-muscular dude with back acne was there with his skinny fat friend and they were deadlifting, if you can call it that. There's two squat/DL racks in the whole gym, they had one set up where they were just sitting and the other had a 495# bar in front of it. Steroid dude amped himself up for 5 mins, tried one rep and failed. Then, in a move that shocked the whole gym, his friend amped himself up for 5 mins and tried it, and of course the bar didn't even budge a millimeter. Rinse and repeat multiple times with plenty of yelling and jumping around. In 25 minutes they didn't do a single fucking rep, much less an actual set.

Then there was one slow-paced semi muscular 50-something guy that was alternating between bench and tricep rope pulldowns. BUT he had the rope on the inside of the cable station rather than any of the multiple (4+) standalone cable setups, so if you wanted to do flys you were SOL. I asked him if he was still using it and he said yes, I just let it go and did something else. Same shit, he had it on there for 20+ mins. Dude would do 5ish reps of bench then just bullshit for a few minutes, then do a few reps of triceps and sit around for a few more minutes. How fucking dense are you. If you want to waste your time that's fine, but don't unnecessarily take up prime equipment for your joke of a "workout"
OMFG dude, thats every fucking gym. The last few years, I've been really picky with what hours I will go in the gym. If I cant go at 6am-7am on WFH days or before noon on other days, I simply wont go for all the reasons you stated above. Also, when I go, I'm there to get it in and get the fuck out of there. I'm not there to be talking to everyone and holding up machines or stations. I see people I know, I'll say whats up, fist bump and keep it moving. But I'm not nice either when people are hogging up 2 stations or 2 machines for supersets. If they are truly doing supersets, I'll let them do their thing. But if they are BSing in between sets, fuck that I'm taking over one of the 2 things your hogging up. I'm not asking either, I'm just moving in on your space. If they say something, I tell them your more than welcome to work in with me when your done talking.

Dude I know in the big rim car scene owns a smaller private gym (brick_yard_gym on IG) close to my whse. 24/7 key card access or an app on your phone, but he wants $100 a month.
I'm seriously considering it so I dont have to deal with all the BS at LA or any other mainstream gym.

LikeABauce302

TCG Elite Member
Aug 27, 2013
South suburbs
Real Name
Matt
I've been back in my local LA Fitness again after being really inconsistent with workouts for the last year. I try to go around 8:45 PM and leave just before closing at 10. By that point the gym usually isn't very crowded, but it's nothing but high school and college kids in there. Most of them are respectful, but some of them are just there to make TikToks and socialize. It makes me rage when they get in the way or are just sitting on benches watching or filming their friend on the next bench.

I also got back into mens league hockey this summer after my team had fallen apart during COVID. Being on the ice 2 days a week has been good exercise and great for keeping me motivated to get some exercise in on the other days of the week.

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
OMFG dude, thats every fucking gym. The last few years, I've been really picky with what hours I will go in the gym. If I cant go at 6am-7am on WFH days or before noon on other days, I simply wont go for all the reasons you stated above. Also, when I go, I'm there to get it in and get the fuck out of there. I'm not there to be talking to everyone and holding up machines or stations. I see people I know, I'll say whats up, fist bump and keep it moving. But I'm not nice either when people are hogging up 2 stations or 2 machines for supersets. If they are truly doing supersets, I'll let them do their thing. But if they are BSing in between sets, fuck that I'm taking over one of the 2 things your hogging up. I'm not asking either, I'm just moving in on your space. If they say something, I tell them your more than welcome to work in with me when your done talking.

Dude I know in the big rim car scene owns a smaller private gym (brick_yard_gym on IG) close to my whse. 24/7 key card access or an app on your phone, but he wants $100 a month.
I'm seriously considering it so I dont have to deal with all the BS at LA or any other mainstream gym.
It's gotten soooo bad dude. When I started going to the gym in ~2006 at 18yo it was fucking awesome. There was comradery, old dudes giving good (and bad) advice, fun shit talking etc. There is still one gym in NWI that's absolutely awesome, ran by a bodybuilder and genuine dude that takes no shit (will charge you if you don't put your weights back, post the vid on IG, ban you if you do it multiple times etc). Old school gym discipline & atmosphere. BUT that's a 25 min miserable drive from my house down rt30, and I've gotta get it in where I can fit it in with a 4yo and wife that works a lot

Going to the mainstream gyms makes me appreciate f45 more. Few more pieces of equipment and my basement could be decent, at which point i'd cancel my anytime fitness membership

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake

pretty spoiled on my island now, it is also low season. for afternoon workouts 1/3 the time i have the entire gym to myself. up to 3 other people ever. morning maybe up to 5. all pretty cool and do our own things.

in high season it is a bit busier, and i also went more mornings. i've slotted morning as my sleep now instead (4am-12pm). most people are cool but this one swedish couple drove me nuts. the gym would be semi busy for the size, and this couple just hogged the fuck out of stuff. like they'd each have a circuit of 2 things and alternate by themselves or maybe across all 4 'things' they were taking up, this could include 3 barbells and the squat rack (but not using it for squats). also dumb shit like using the flat bench (the single one we have) for tricep bench dips, which i'm also under the impression of are not that great. they both would drop weights and it would be fucking annoying - like i don't mind if you are big bro doing mad deadlifts (my gym rarely sees anyone do deadlifts, and heavy is very rare) - but hubs and wife would both be dropping shit for effect to make noise. i think she was even the worse offender. it was never like she was struggling either, let's say she does a deadlift - it would be like 40kg / 88 lbs and she'd do it no problem. easy reps no struggle at all. so why drop the shit? these weren't even drops close to the floor, it would be like complete the last rep then fucking just toss that shit. i would feel like such a fucking asshole doing this that i just can't imagine what is going through their heads.

Caleb515

Addict
Aug 20, 2020
Chicago, IL
Real Name
Caleb
Best thing I did was join a ā€œprivateā€ gym.

Itā€™s expensive, but I genuinely get excited to go there and my workouts have improved as well being in a better atmosphere. Donā€™t have to deal with all the TikTok BS or idiots.

I went with a friend to LAfitness or wherever he goes awhile back and it felt like a prison. 1/10 would not go back. Lol

Aircal

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Nov 10, 2008
Countryside
Real Name
Tom callahan
I've been lucky with Crossfit. No one recording at all. Did have some large groups of young kids that would all try to do the same machine at a time. But the employees dont really like them and after 3 months their numbers have dropped. I get there about 6:45.A lot are gone by 7.8 seems to start another wave of guests.

rocco

Addict
Jan 19, 2012
Aurora, IL
Just reading some of these stories makes me so glad I have a home gym. I canā€™t deal with stupid people anymore.

Gyms back in the 80s, 90s and even early 2000s were great. Everyone was there to workout, not stare into their cell phones or taking videos of themselves like anyone gives a shit. Gyms attract a lot of weirdos.

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
pretty spoiled on my island now, it is also low season. for afternoon workouts 1/3 the time i have the entire gym to myself. up to 3 other people ever. morning maybe up to 5. all pretty cool and do our own things.

in high season it is a bit busier, and i also went more mornings. i've slotted morning as my sleep now instead (4am-12pm). most people are cool but this one swedish couple drove me nuts. the gym would be semi busy for the size, and this couple just hogged the fuck out of stuff. like they'd each have a circuit of 2 things and alternate by themselves or maybe across all 4 'things' they were taking up, this could include 3 barbells and the squat rack (but not using it for squats). also dumb shit like using the flat bench (the single one we have) for tricep bench dips, which i'm also under the impression of are not that great. they both would drop weights and it would be fucking annoying - like i don't mind if you are big bro doing mad deadlifts (my gym rarely sees anyone do deadlifts, and heavy is very rare) - but hubs and wife would both be dropping shit for effect to make noise. i think she was even the worse offender. it was never like she was struggling either, let's say she does a deadlift - it would be like 40kg / 88 lbs and she'd do it no problem. easy reps no struggle at all. so why drop the shit? these weren't even drops close to the floor, it would be like complete the last rep then fucking just toss that shit. i would feel like such a fucking asshole doing this that i just can't imagine what is going through their heads.
Slamming dumbbells or barbells is one of my biggest pet peeves in the gym. With dumbbells, if you cant control the weight to bring them down after your set then imo they are too heavy for you. I can press 120lb dumbbells and I always bring them back down in control of them. Same thing when I use to DL, I always brought the barbell down and maybe let go when a couple of " off the ground. Now if your doing a monster DL 600+ and its a 1RM, I'd be okay with it. But as you said, I see people DL 135lbs and slam the fucking barbell down with authority, then rip their belt off like they just beat some world record.
Like really MFer, your not impressing anyone.

Thread Info