šŸ„ Health Workout chat

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
I think this fits in here...

I started getting yearly checkups at 40 which was 2021. Wasnā€™t feeling top notch so I went back in November and we checked my A1C which was 5.5. Next year at 41 its 5.7 so Doc says cut carbs. I went cold turkey on the added sugar last August and I didnā€™t substitute fake sugar I just gave it all up. So for about 9 months now I havenā€™t had sugary drinks, Doritos, a donut, cake, anything with added sugar. I had 3 small cookies at Christmas and some chocolate on our trip to Panama. I have recently started to eat very dark chocolate 80-90% a couple times a week since it is good for your brain. So essentially the only sugar I eat is in products where I havenā€™t been able to get it out entirely. Bread, some condiments, etc.

So its 3 months before my yearly (in August and Iā€™ll be 42) and I am wondering where I am so I go get tested and 5.4. Great it went down but alsoā€¦ That sucks that doesnā€™t even seem like that much for giving up all that good stuff. Now I know I have substituted in some of that sugar with natural sugars like fruit so I get why it hasnā€™t plummeted. The weight loss that came with it was awesome so I guess I should include that in the equation. Just thought Iā€™d shareā€¦.

a1c.png

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
i guess i'm curious what mine is but i'm quite the little bitch about doctors stealing my blood to run their tests/sell to old congressman trying to drink my youthful blood to restore their vitality.

i do loves me a good smoothie bowl which i'll indulge in 2-4 times a week, the rest of the time i may have some fruits (mostly jackfruit) but my primary sugar intake is fake (monk fruit/erythritol) so i'm curious what i'd have. actually thought of wearing a cgm for a few months but got a bit lazy about executing on that idea.

does this require you being fasted to get a proper reading? sounds like you did make some significant changes so surprised to see there wasn't a larger swing.

Reactions: EmersonHart13

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
i guess i'm curious what mine is but i'm quite the little bitch about doctors stealing my blood to run their tests/sell to old congressman trying to drink my youthful blood to restore their vitality.

i do loves me a good smoothie bowl which i'll indulge in 2-4 times a week, the rest of the time i may have some fruits (mostly jackfruit) but my primary sugar intake is fake (monk fruit/erythritol) so i'm curious what i'd have. actually thought of wearing a cgm for a few months but got a bit lazy about executing on that idea.

does this require you being fasted to get a proper reading? sounds like you did make some significant changes so surprised to see there wasn't a larger swing.
No, a1c is a 90 day average. It isn't like a glucose test which is better when you fast.

As I understand it, 90 days is the life of a red blood cell which is what it measures.

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
Was your glucose high and they wanted the A1c or they just did it?
It was not high.

I am pressing on my doctor as I am more tired than I feel I should be and this is a regular thing.

I workout, I eat well, I'm leaner than I have been in 20 years but yet still have energy issues. So we were testing things. So I asked for an a1c in 21 and then we just did it again in 22. Between 21 and 22 I was eating better and working out more and it went up so that was a bit surprising. So I had to do something drastic like cut sugar to move the needle so to speak.

Reactions: 1quick

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
It was not high.

I am pressing on my doctor as I am more tired than I feel I should be and this is a regular thing.

I workout, I eat well, I'm leaner than I have been in 20 years but yet still have energy issues. So we were testing things. So I asked for an a1c in 21 and then we just did it again in 22. Between 21 and 22 I was eating better and working out more and it went up so that was a bit surprising. So I had to do something drastic like cut sugar to move the needle so to speak.
AAAAAANNNNNND you now have my full attention. I've been battling low energy/fatigue on and off for a good 4-5 years. Comes in cycles, like every few months. Done blood work up the wasu and can't find anything amiss, aside from ferritin levels being marginally low (iron was okay). I am very curious to see where this goes, what you learn, and how you continue to address or remedy it.

Really should be its own thread, because I expect a lot of good information is about to be provided.

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
These photos are about 2 years apart. Basically after lockdown year I was just under 225 and being tall I carried it well with a shirt on. Otherwise, not. So I assumed I was tired because likely in the worst shape of my life so I got after it. I lift weights 4 times a week and eat better. Now I am under 205 about half of that I lost before cutting sugar and half after... Thats really general though so I may be off but it really doesn't matter. You gotta put in the work both ways to get anywhere.

So now I am debating another visit to the doctor ahead of the usual to see if we can test for some other stuff. What that is I don't know. We have already tested for the obvious stuff, Testosterone included, per a previous discussion on this site. I was slightly anemic in 21 but he said it wasn't enough to affect me. I upped my iron and in 22 I was back on the scale. In 22 my MCHC was low along with the A1C number. Thyroid is good as well.

PXL_20230521_135845818.jpgPXL_20210323_231847255.jpg

PXL_20230521_135839020.jpgPXL_20210323_231831340.jpg

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
These photos are about 2 years apart. Basically after lockdown year I was just under 225 and being tall I carried it well with a shirt on. Otherwise, not. So I assumed I was tired because likely in the worst shape of my life so I got after it. I lift weights 4 times a week and eat better. Now I am under 205 about half of that I lost before cutting sugar and half after... Thats really general though so I may be off but it really doesn't matter. You gotta put in the work both ways to get anywhere.

So now I am debating another visit to the doctor ahead of the usual to see if we can test for some other stuff. What that is I don't know. We have already tested for the obvious stuff, Testosterone included, per a previous discussion on this site. I was slightly anemic in 21 but he said it wasn't enough to affect me. I upped my iron and in 22 I was back on the scale. In 22 my MCHC was low along with the A1C number. Thyroid is good as well.

Aside from the slight height difference, and weight, you could have been describing my conditions.

Also, my opaque boxes would have been smaller, much smaller ?

• Haha

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city

Do you recall what your testosterone numbers were like? I just switched to a different ester testosterone thatā€™s faster acting, I have a prescription but decided to up my dose into the slightly higher than trt but lower than an actual cycle and Iā€™ve been taking it every other day for about 8 months now to try and keep my levels as stable as possible, huge boost in energy going from 140mg a week to around 250mg , I did put on about 4lbs in 2 weeks but I ran my fastest consecutive 3 mile run ever and benched the heaviest I have since my shoulder injury a sad 245 for 3 lol

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
Do you recall what your testosterone numbers were like? I just switched to a different ester testosterone thatā€™s faster acting, I have a prescription but decided to up my dose into the slightly higher than trt but lower than an actual cycle and Iā€™ve been taking it every other day for about 8 months now to try and keep my levels as stable as possible, huge boost in energy going from 140mg a week to around 250mg , I did put on about 4lbs in 2 weeks but I ran my fastest consecutive 3 mile run ever and benched the heaviest I have since my shoulder injury a sad 245 for 3 lol
10.5 and 479, thanks myChart

Hey man I don't lift that heavy so that's awesome!

Reactions: 1quick

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
479 test? Isnt that bottom third of the acceptable range? Do you ever feel like youve got a brain fog going on?
i wouldn't expect that to be an indicator of problems or lethargy

yet still have energy issues
how does this manifest? like body feeling too tired to start something? or you start a workout or something you're familiar with, but some days just bail at the halfway point? would you say its all physical or some mental too?

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city
i wouldn't expect that to be an indicator of problems or lethargy

Being in the bottom half You wouldnā€™t expect it to cause lethargy because you havenā€™t experienced what itā€™s like to not be in the bottom half, I was in the same range naturally and noticed a huge energy increase just moving to the top of the range, I went off for a year got my wife pregnant decided to stay off for the rest of the year recoved to the 350-400 range again, felt like shit all year and couldnā€™t figure out why I was running a lot and eating well, decided to go back on trt and boom huge change in mood and energy just moving up to the 750-800 range

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
I don't disagree with testosterone but I have more going on than just the energy. Symptoms that point to a lot of ailments so they don't really narrow it down. ? TCGmd here we go? The issue is I am, as I'm told by the doctor, in way better shape than all of his clients so he thiyim fine or In working out too hard, etc.

Today I am waking up drained, went to bed at 10, up at 6 like usual. So I'll workout after work so I can push myself through it. I did workout yesterday in the am and mostly felt good the rest of the day. Tomorrow is an off day then workouts Saturday and Sunday. I likely won't get as much done around the house because I always prioritize the workouts. I cant imagine how I would feel if I was eating whatever and not working out.

Gav'sPurpleZ

If you fail to plan, you're planning to fail
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
Mar 3, 2008
Pingree Grove IL
a full male hormone panel may not be a bad idea.
Also, from what I have heard, read and experienced myself, a typical family practitioner is not going to be the one to take a deep dive looking at bloodwork.

An endocrinologist is something you may want to research

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
I don't disagree with testosterone but I have more going on than just the energy. Symptoms that point to a lot of ailments so they don't really narrow it down. ? TCGmd here we go? The issue is I am, as I'm told by the doctor, in way better shape than all of his clients so he thiyim fine or In working out too hard, etc.

Today I am waking up drained, went to bed at 10, up at 6 like usual. So I'll workout after work so I can push myself through it. I did workout yesterday in the am and mostly felt good the rest of the day. Tomorrow is an off day then workouts Saturday and Sunday. I likely won't get as much done around the house because I always prioritize the workouts. I cant imagine how I would feel if I was eating whatever and not working out.
TSH?

When it comes to fatigue, testosterone and thyroid are usually the big 2.

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
a full male hormone panel may not be a bad idea.
Also, from what I have heard, read and experienced myself, a typical family practitioner is not going to be the one to take a deep dive looking at bloodwork.

An endocrinologist is something you may want to research
Yea, I agree with that, been reading about it

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city
I donā€™t know the thyroid numbers off the top of my head but that can definitely make you feel tired, all the bloodwork numbers have an optimal place just because they are ā€œin rangeā€ doesnā€™t mean they are good or you are healthy, I have a friend with chrosis whoā€™s liver enzymes are in range

Thread Info