Walk

Etc

jay cutler GIF by E!

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city
there is zero reason you ā€œhave toā€ flat barbell bench outside of competing in powerlifting.

Everyoneā€™s mechanics are different and some movements just arenā€™t healthy for you personally, long term.
Itā€™s the gym bro in me I have to barbell bench, itā€™s generally easier than dumb bell bench, and I definitely feel like it adds thickness to your chest easier than db press does

Reactions: OffshoreDrilling

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
Itā€™s the gym bro in me I have to barbell bench, itā€™s generally easier than dumb bell bench, and I definitely feel like it adds thickness to your chest easier than db press does
The last few weeks Iā€™ve done strictly db presses on chest day. Zero pain in either shoulder. I usually work up to 125lb db presses and do 3 sets of 6-10
there is zero reason you ā€œhave toā€ flat barbell bench outside of competing in powerlifting.

Everyoneā€™s mechanics are different and some movements just arenā€™t healthy for you personally, long term.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
The last few weeks Iā€™ve done strictly db presses on chest day. Zero pain in either shoulder. I usually work up to 125lb db presses and do 3 sets of 6-10
meanwhile i'm over here up to 32.5 kg x 8 db incline press wondering when i might feel like trying to toss up 35 kg, but not being in a hurry because getting 32.5 in position is still a pain... i'll be happy if i finish out the year with 35s lol ?

Reactions: Shawn1112

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
my strength has been super slow lately (or even getting to where i was after a bit of a break) - although i've tried eating more lately and it seems to have been good over the past couple of weeks. i think mentally i've targeted 180g of protein but only consumed more like 100-130 for a while, and for calories a slight deficit or maintenance. i put in work, at least some work, but nothing has grown for a while.

that was up until 2 weeks ago, where over the past couple i've eaten some more protein (but not i think meaningfully more) --- but *definitely* more calories. i've just let myself have bigger tastier meals out, higher calorie breakfasts, etc. and definitely am able to put out some more reps in the gym. scale going up but also pretty slowly, and it's annoying to think that the past 6 mo where i made little progress might just be wasted volume and came down to me not eating enough? especially since i still like, ate a lot, lol.

in any case - eating more for the time being either way :D

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city
my strength has been super slow lately (or even getting to where i was after a bit of a break) - although i've tried eating more lately and it seems to have been good over the past couple of weeks. i think mentally i've targeted 180g of protein but only consumed more like 100-130 for a while, and for calories a slight deficit or maintenance. i put in work, at least some work, but nothing has grown for a while.

that was up until 2 weeks ago, where over the past couple i've eaten some more protein (but not i think meaningfully more) --- but *definitely* more calories. i've just let myself have bigger tastier meals out, higher calorie breakfasts, etc. and definitely am able to put out some more reps in the gym. scale going up but also pretty slowly, and it's annoying to think that the past 6 mo where i made little progress might just be wasted volume and came down to me not eating enough? especially since i still like, ate a lot, lol.

in any case - eating more for the time being either way :D
Before and after the workout is probably the most important meals, I like to eat something with a lot of sugar right before the workout my go to is a couple doughnuts, for strength this works most powerlifters do the same

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
Iā€™ve been great about getting up at 5am and working out. I need about 10min to get some coffee going and a basic morning routine. In the garage warming up sucking down a cup of coffee by 5:15 and have to finish up by 6 to shower and get out the door by 6:20.

Think I need to switch to a bro split and have a day for each muscle group. I donā€™t have the time to warm up properly doing multiple things. Legs takes me AT LEAST a good 20min to feel primed and not strain a hammie. The days of jumping right under a bar are done.

Reactions: FirstWorldProblems

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
Iā€™m finally getting back at it post gout and gym exodus from hitting 425# on bench.

Feels weird setting a goal, spending two years to hit it and then not having any idea whatā€™s next.

I need more inspiration to get back into it 100%.
From someone that was benching as much as you in the last year. If youā€™re over 40 as I am, I wouldnā€™t set your goal that high. The risk isnā€™t worth the reward imo. Good job though getting back at it

From someone that was benching as much as you in the last year. If youā€™re over 40 as I am, I wouldnā€™t set your goal that high. The risk isnā€™t worth the reward imo. Good job though getting back at it
I hit 425# during Covid times and went heavy heavy on most lifts (Iā€™m 35 and 310# right now so I need to cut weight like none other) but I donā€™t see the same drive as pushing for the 425 anymore.

I do understand the need to keep weight down and am working on mobility, but after handling a ton of weight, going light often feels like a disservice

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
I hit 425# during Covid times and went heavy heavy on most lifts (Iā€™m 35 and 310# right now so I need to cut weight like none other) but I donā€™t see the same drive as pushing for the 425 anymore.

I do understand the need to keep weight down and am working on mobility, but after handling a ton of weight, going light often feels like a disservice
Are we twins outside of our age lol?
Thats me to a T, I only know how to go heavy. I'm 47 and usually float between 290-310 on the higher side during the winter.
Yeah fuck that 425 shit, its an ego thing imo. There arent many guys your age and even more so my age that can throw 315 around. So thats as heavy as I will now go and its not even that often. I'll hit it here and there just so I know I can lol. Lately I've been doing all dumbbell work (100-125db's) on chest day and yes going light does feel that way.

Reactions: FrenchLicker

Caleb515

Addict
Aug 20, 2020
Chicago, IL
Real Name
Caleb
^^ Damn, you guys throw around some weight.

I donā€™t bench at all. I hit 225 just to say I could and prove it to myself, but in general I donā€™t do it. Maybe once every few months.

The strain it puts on your shoulders is terrible and even at ā€œlightā€ weight itā€™s risky and can cause problems later. IMO there are so many other exercises that can better target the same muscle group and are much safer.

Props to those that can go heavy though. Itā€™s impressive AF, just not for me.

Are we twins outside of our age lol?
Thats me to a T, I only know how to go heavy. I'm 47 and usually float between 290-310 on the higher side during the winter.
Yeah fuck that 425 shit, itā€™s an ego thing imo. There arent many guys your age and even more so my age that can throw 315 around. So thats as heavy as I will now go and itā€™s he not even that often. I'll hit it here and there just so I know I can lol. Lately I've been doing all dumbbell work (100-125db's) on chest day and yes going light does feel that way.
Haha, possibly.

I used the slingshot to push me through all my plateaus and the ā€grooveā€ it put me in has thankfully prevented any shoulder issues. With the slingshot on the weight got close to 500# but doing that once was enough. The days following, it felt like I got hit by a truck.

^^ Damn, you guys throw around some weight.

I donā€™t bench at all. I hit 225 just to say I could and prove it to myself, but in general I donā€™t do it. Maybe once every few months.

The strain it puts on your shoulders is terrible and even at ā€œlightā€ weight itā€™s risky and can cause problems later. IMO there are so many other exercises that can better target the same muscle group and are much safer.

Props to those that can go heavy though. Itā€™s impressive AF, just not for me.
I have to disagree with the risky part. Every moment has optimal pathing based on your body, as long as youā€™re form is on point and you properly warm up, you can avoid shoulder Issues.

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city

You could set a heavy goal for squat, multi task super easy to drop weight when squatting heavy a few days a week and build to your goal at the same time

Thread Info