šŸ„ Health Workout chat

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
Chest and biceps today, kept it light 225lbs on the incline bench.

I know I have said this before, but I'm serious this time. Me going HAM and benching 400+lbs, 225lb shoulder presses, and any other heavy shit are officially done. Its just too damn taxing on my body at 47yrs old, 275-315 on bench will be my limits from here on out and not even sure I want to hit 315 that often. Shoulder presses I'm going to stay at 155ish. Had a good conversation this morning with a few guys my age that like me always went super heavy. They have all stopped doing it within the last year and now look to hit more reps at a lighter weight and they said they feel fucking phenomenal.
Very very very smart move

Reactions: Shawn1112

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
Anyone have a power tower at home? If so what brand and do you like it? These things run the gamut on pricing, and it has no moving parts so I don't think it's worth buying a crazy $800 one when amazon has them for like $200, but I don't want something flimsy either

I'm legit not familiar with weightlifting equipment brands at all. I know rogue fitness is supposed to be solid but they don't have a basic power tower

This is what i'm looking for, not a power rack

6424905_sd.jpg
Nothing to offer other than I would throw at least 2 anchors into the floor. Especially with kids being in the house.

Reactions: FirstWorldProblems

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
Anyone have a power tower at home? If so what brand and do you like it? These things run the gamut on pricing, and it has no moving parts so I don't think it's worth buying a crazy $800 one when amazon has them for like $200, but I don't want something flimsy either

I'm legit not familiar with weightlifting equipment brands at all. I know rogue fitness is supposed to be solid but they don't have a basic power tower

This is what i'm looking for, not a power rack

6424905_sd.jpg
EmersonHart13 EmersonHart13 OffshoreDrilling OffshoreDrilling do you guys have one of these?

Reactions: EmersonHart13

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
No I do not.

I thought about it early on in my build but I didn't read a lot of you need it at home feedback.

This is interesting though since it. Doesn't kill floor space

OneTwoFit Wall-Mounted Pull-Up Bar: This is a cool quasi-power tower product that takes up no floor space, but a regular power tower is better for most people since itā€™s portable and likely more durable over time

one-two-fit-tower-4.jpeg

Reactions: FirstWorldProblems

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
ooh man i'm sore af

prior to my trips, was busy and last week in thailand had little gym and muay thai
lots of flying, 2 weeks south africa - for breakfast and lunch i had a big omelette essentially for 2 weeks straight. moved some rocks and did some pull ups on a building, but mostly walking around and in a deficit. bare minimum i lost 6 lbs here.
week in SFO, low sleep, caught covid, more like 24h bug, hit gym once
got back here and finished out last week

weak af in the gym, like way less on all lifts
squat the least in like 6 months, quads be burninating as i sit here
too sore to want to get back into muay thai today, kicked the bag a few times at the gym, pretty sure first class back imma die/harf, will take 2+ weeks to not feel like trash lol

i'll blame this a little on the temperature, used to do gym/muay thai at 8am. new schedule, gym more like 2+ and muay thai at 4 - it's non-trivially warmer in the day. gym has minimal a/c, muay thai has none

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Doctor finally said, ā€œIf you were any older Iā€™d put you on cholesterol medicineā€(180 lbs, 38 y.o.) so about 6 weeks ago I started an alternating daily workout of 30 min on the treadmill and 30 min body resistance and dumbbells via a beginner routine from Menā€™s Fitness home workout bible I bought 20 years ago.

Iā€™ve been conscious about saturated fats and carbs for a while, but it wasnā€™t enough alone.

This is coming from zero workout time in 10-plus years to daily 30 mins of the above, and have actually liked it this time around and I want to stick with it. Feel calmer and more settled/focused, itā€™s easier to lift a kid away from whatever dumb shit theyā€™ve gotten into, my hands are more stable with fine work, and less-pointy boobs are nice too.

As far as equipment, my wife has had a Peloton bike for a few years, and I tried it but hated it. So I bought a new Nordictrack 1750 2019 model, and itā€™s been awesome when it works but the front roller was defective when they sent it to me, they sent two left arm support covers and their customer service is absolute garbage; had to get ahold of them via Instagram threats. The front roller started creaking again, and the rear clunks when running, so if they canā€™t fix it this time then weā€™re returning it for the Peloton tread. Other than crushing my balls, customer service has been great and my wife loves her bike.

I also have a shitty bench the previous homeowner left in the basement , as well as 44-pound-each adjustable dumbbells that work well. Iā€™d like to upgrade the bench for sure.

Doing this at home has helped my motivation because I can squeeze in 30 minutes before work, between naps or during lunch. And my wife is on a similar schedule so itā€™s really helpful to respect each others workout time and everyone gets in their 30-60 minutes per day.

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
Got up early to grind out some time on full incline treadmill.

Kept smelling that ā€œlet the smoke out of itā€ electrical smell the whole time. Finished my sesh and went to drop incline back to 0, incline actuator toasted. Canā€™t fold the fucker up any more because it has to be at minimum level to latch it.

Aircal

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Nov 10, 2008
Countryside
Real Name
Tom callahan
I know several of you work out with more but. After starting this lifting regiment 2 years ago. Which had me do squats by sitting on a bench and standing up to start ...lol I was able to squat 1 set of 200 lbs 5 times. After the first one I knew I had 5 in me. SO now I have broken 200 lbs in deadlift and squat. Bench press is my next one I'd like to brake. I have worked out with 170 on the machine but, havn't gone heavy on a bar yet.

Reactions: LikeABauce302

Aircal

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Nov 10, 2008
Countryside
Real Name
Tom callahan
Also I picked up a log book off Amazon in January. It's been a huge help reminding me how much I did before. In January I was logging 3 sets of 10 reps. Once I got the weight dialed in I went to 4 sets. And now last week started going to 15 reps for 4 sets. If I'm not close to failure I move up in weight. Even a couple young guys I've seen there have told me they really see me getting at it.....lol

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city
I know several of you work out with more but. After starting this lifting regiment 2 years ago. Which had me do squats by sitting on a bench and standing up to start ...lol I was able to squat 1 set of 200 lbs 5 times. After the first one I knew I had 5 in me. SO now I have broken 200 lbs in deadlift and squat. Bench press is my next one I'd like to brake. I have worked out with 170 on the machine but, havn't gone heavy on a bar yet.
Do you dumbbell press at all? It helps build the stability muscles to build a better bench press, also dips help your bench

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city
Speaking of bench after I tore my rotator cuff at the end of 2020 I havenā€™t been able to bench straight bar, Iā€™ve been doing db press and once in a while I try to bench, this week was the first time Iā€™ve been able to bench completely pain free, my body weight is down in the 205-210 range but I did a few shaky sets worked up to 225 for 8, I would like to work my way back up but I donā€™t know how hard Iā€™m going to push it I want to maintain my current body weight and stay injury free

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city
I only do Dumb bell bench and Inclined dumb bell bench. Dips I do but struggle due to my over weight body. Last 2 weeks I could only do 4 sets of 8 assisted dips. Today I did 3 sets of 10 and 8 on the last set.
Not sure what your using for the assist but i would cut some of the assistance out next workout and try to hit 8 even 5 sets of 5 or something like that, when Iā€™m trying to build strength I increase the weight until my heaviest set is 3-5 reps, then cut the weight back down and do a last set up to 15-20 to just burn out

Rent Free

TCG Elite Member
Jan 26, 2015
Nowheresville North Dakota
Speaking of bench after I tore my rotator cuff at the end of 2020 I havenā€™t been able to bench straight bar, Iā€™ve been doing db press and once in a while I try to bench, this week was the first time Iā€™ve been able to bench completely pain free, my body weight is down in the 205-210 range but I did a few shaky sets worked up to 225 for 8, I would like to work my way back up but I donā€™t know how hard Iā€™m going to push it I want to maintain my current body weight and stay injury free

Bench on a smith machine if you are worried about reinjury. Super easy to lockout the bar if you need.

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city
Bench on a smith machine if you are worried about reinjury. Super easy to lockout the bar if you need.
Iā€™m not worried about dropping it on myself and getting hurt Iā€™m worried about tearing a muscle or tendon from pushing myself to far, I love lifting heavy and bench was always my favorite lift and always my hardest, it took me my whole life to work my way up into the mid 300ā€™s and if Iā€™m not careful Iā€™ll be doing it again in a few weeks and getting hurt lol

Reactions: Rent Free

Thread Info