šŸ„ Health Workout chat

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
Minor gym update with new band holder and barbell rack installed. Prob going to whip up some sort of stand for my powerblock dumbbells out of 3/4ā€ ply

5D645E76-E1B7-43B1-A72C-D66CF3393092.jpeg

0DDB291E-BA8A-4E11-B28E-E75C71B5C71F.jpeg

Aircal

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Nov 10, 2008
Countryside
Real Name
Tom callahan
Lost my gym.... My daughter no longer works at LifeTime. So they just cancelled our membership with out notice! I figured they would just charge us regular rate not the discount rate. But, no they just dropped us. I went in played dumb. Did get a $62.00 refund for the balance of the month. Currently not going back at $149.00 a month. Did some online searching and a live tour of LAFitness in Oakbrook. $45 a month and I can bring a guest. Going to do a 1 week free trial. Wasn't overly busy. Didn't see any tick tok girls. Plenty of machines and racks. Also my route home is 88 east to 294, can get off at York and it's one light away.

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
Lost my gym.... My daughter no longer works at LifeTime. So they just cancelled our membership with out notice! I figured they would just charge us regular rate not the discount rate. But, no they just dropped us. I went in played dumb. Did get a $62.00 refund for the balance of the month. Currently not going back at $149.00 a month. Did some online searching and a live tour of LAFitness in Oakbrook. $45 a month and I can bring a guest. Going to do a 1 week free trial. Wasn't overly busy. Didn't see any tick tok girls. Plenty of machines and racks. Also my route home is 88 east to 294, can get off at York and it's one light away.
Who do you have health insurance through?

Iā€™ve got BCBS and they offer a greatly discounted rate to a ton of gyms. Like you can pay $100/mo with no other fees and go to any lifetime, LA fitness, 24hr, etc all for that same $100 anywhere in the country.

greasy

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jun 25, 2007

Or basement, was basement lyfting for lyfe but now garage lyfting 4 lyfe. I actually like the garage better because it is more in my face. I can't avoid it where as the basement can be a little out of site out of mind. Both are better than going to the gym and dealing with other people

Reactions: Jimy Bilmo

greasy

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jun 25, 2007
I miss the actual gym a lot. I donā€™t think I could make the time for it like I used to without making compromises other places.

I like the access to the wide array of equipment, but that doesn't overcome the time/convenience of not having to drive 5-10 minutes somewhere along with dealing with other people. I haven't lifted in a gym since college.

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
I like the access to the wide array of equipment, but that doesn't overcome the time/convenience of not having to drive 5-10 minutes somewhere along with dealing with other people. I haven't lifted in a gym since college.
Nothing that parking outside and spending a couple years of college tuition canā€™t solve

LikeABauce302

TCG Elite Member
Aug 27, 2013
South suburbs
Real Name
Matt

I like LA Fitness. My membership allows me to go to any LA Fitness or ESporta in the country. I live in Lombard, so I just checked out the ESporta on Roosevelt last night. It was pretty nice. Not super crowded, but it's smaller inside than you would expect. A lot of space is designated for group classes or personal training.

Last night was my first time at the gym in ~3 months and it felt great. I've been busy with projects at my new house, trying to move, and haven't had time for it. Last week I started planning and cooking decent meals at home and I'm already feeling a lot better. Currently sitting at 200 lbs (at 5'10) and hoping to drop 15-20 lbs or so to keep my cholesterol and blood pressure in check.

Reactions: Aircal

LikeABauce302

TCG Elite Member
Aug 27, 2013
South suburbs
Real Name
Matt
The one thing that kind of killed my routine was gyms closing earlier because of COVID. My LA Fitness used to be open until 11 PM or 12 AM before the pandemic. I always want to the gym around 9 PM or just a few minutes after. Now they close at 10 PM, Monday - Thursday. Now I have to rush to try to get their earlier to make sure I can get a workout in. On the nights where I get out of work late or I'm busy, I can't just go later and still get a workout in.

My office has a gym, but it's pretty limited and I don't like using it. I always feel guilty when I take an hour out of a busy day to use it and lately my calendar is always jammed with meetings around the time I would usually go. It's annoying having my phone going off while I'm trying to get a workout in and having to respond to Teams messages between sets.

SirMarco

of Pingree Grove
May 11, 2009
Pingree Grove
I'd love to really turn my basement into a gym. I keep looking at cages and bars. It's fairly inexpensive for a decent cage and quality bar. The plates and a full dumbell set is stupid expensive. Then I look at what I pay for a gym membership and it was balance out in about two years, give or take.
For now, until I decide to pull the trigger, I'll stick with ESportA.

Reactions: LikeABauce302

Caleb515

Addict
Aug 20, 2020
Chicago, IL
Real Name
Caleb
I definitely prefer going to an actual gym. I think I push myself harder at a gym when other people are around, not sure if it's competitiveness or ego or what.

Our condo has a small gym I used for about a month after we first moved. It has the basics and is always empty, but I could never get excited to go. I joined a gym a few blocks down the street and now go 5-6 days a week and look forward to it. I just avoid going during the week between 4-7, which I know can be hard for most schedules.

Reactions: LikeABauce302

Thread Info