šŸ„ Health Workout chat

Blownbyyou

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Mar 27, 2008
I finally rejoined a real gym. The community center in my neighborhood has a gym but it sucks at best. And it's small. They are redoing it this winter and the plans look legit. Once that is done I will give it another shot.
I was at LA Fitness for a long while but left about two years ago when I was traveling more than I was home.
Last winter I joined Planet Fitness and only stuck around a shot time. It was like the gym at my community center but slightly bigger.
After feeling extra fat this weekend I signed back up to LA Fitness, or now called EsportA. Stupid name but it does feel nice to be back in a real gym with real equipment.
Now to make it a habit of going on a regular basis.
Yeah I cant wait to get back to a real gym... I have a small home gym (squat rack/cable machine/battle ropes/barbells), but miss the cool shit like tire flips/box jumps/bulgarian bag steam shower etc.

GoldPanther

ā™«Please press 1 for more optionsā™«
TCG Premium
Oct 8, 2013
Addison
Real Name
Daniel
I just ended my membership at Xsport fitness, the gym smells lilke shit and it's crowded most of the time, I tried planet fitness and it's a lot cleaner and way cheaper. I was paying almost 40 guest included, now I'm only paying 24 guest included. More machines, less money, more hygiene, WIN!

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
I just ended my membership at Xsport fitness, the gym smells lilke shit and it's crowded most of the time, I tried planet fitness and it's a lot cleaner and way cheaper. I was paying almost 40 guest included, now I'm only paying 24 guest included. More machines, less money, more hygiene, WIN!
I have had a PF membership for a while, but never go. Only $10/mo. Used to go to Lifetime, but was just way too expensive for what basically turned into a daycare/teen hangout in the weights area. No rules were being enforced and it was just mayhem.

Only thing I think PF can improve on is the cleaning stuff. Recycled paper towels and spray bottles of Sparkle Glass Cleaner doesn't work very well when wiping down equipment.

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
I have never been in a gym that smelled like roses lol. I mean everyone there is or should be sweating, so its going to smell.
What Xsport were you going to, I cant see any PF having more equipment than Xsport. I cant lift at a PF as I hear they frown upon dudes lifting heavy and they dont have heavy dumbbells.

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
Agh that's another thing I hated about Xsport, constantly out of paper and spray bottles not filled or working, machines down that will take up to a month to be fixed.
If I go to the LA by my house in Hanover Park its very similar to what your saying. If I go to the one by my work on the south side, its the exact opposite lol.

GoldPanther

ā™«Please press 1 for more optionsā™«
TCG Premium
Oct 8, 2013
Addison
Real Name
Daniel
Shawn1112 Shawn1112 I'm not even lying man, I've been in gyms but for some reason there must be something wrong in the ventilation system or something who knows what that makes this disgusting smell. you only perceive it when you are entering the gym because after a short while you get use to it then it won't bother you. if you don't believe me go and smell for yourself. I'm talking about the one on Lake st, Addison IL. and it's crowded too, which makes it uncomfortable to work out because there's goofy people just warming up the machines on their phone and when you finally get the machine there's a goofy guy already asking you how many sets more lol. I went to the PF in Lake st Addidon which is down the road, less crowed, doesn't smell lol.

another big complain is the kid's play ground, I took my kid which is 11 yo, he's obviously too old for the playground so he was just seating on the tables on his phone waiting for me, one day they came to me with some BS that he could be by himself because of insurance blah blah, I told them it wasn't the first time he waited there and the hoe was like I'm sorry these are the riles sorry we let this happened the previous times, I was like ok then he can go to the play ground and the hoe is like, I'm sorry is closed for the day LOL I was like WTF then I can't workout today thank you. that same day I went to the PF and asked for a tour and trial, the lady very courteous is like, yes your kid can wait in the couch no problem. in fact I made my kid a guest profile and now he works out with me, WIN all over!

Reactions: Shawn1112

Caleb515

Addict
Aug 20, 2020
Chicago, IL
Real Name
Caleb
The gym I joined has a promotion where if you schedule two free personal training sessions you get your enrollment dues back.
Had my first session today and it was actually super helpful. Guy was super cool and we spent the first half of the session talking about my past fitness experience, what I'm currently doing and goals, then the second half doing a mobility assessment. In about 20 minutes he already helped a lot with my squat form which I've always struggled with. I'll see how the next one goes and of course price and stuff, but any of you guys ever worked with a trainer?

Reactions: Jimy Bilmo

Caleb515

Addict
Aug 20, 2020
Chicago, IL
Real Name
Caleb
Second training session today and I got my ass handed to me. My coach is definitely more of a body weight / mobility focused kind of guy which I am not. Today we went through a full body split with the heaviest weight being a 10lb plate and I shit you not I failed out of a couple sets towards the end.

Dude also happens to be a licensed nutritionist so helped out with some questions I had and gave me a few things I can try to lean out while still prioritizing building muscle.

Pricing is a bit high, but still might consider it once or twice a month.

Caleb515

Addict
Aug 20, 2020
Chicago, IL
Real Name
Caleb
what hot tips did he give you
Right now Iā€™m eating in a few hundred calorie deficit (I estimate maintenance is around 2300 and Iā€™m eating 1800) to lean out. Calories can stay the same for now, but he recommended I lower carbs a bit and increase protein / fat. Extra protein to make sure my body has enough to build muscle and extra fats to keep energy up. **This is NOT keto, just a bit lower carbs. Iā€™ll absolutely still be eating rice, pasta, bread, ect.

Also recommended I incorporate 1 or 2 hiit workouts on top of the regular cardio and workouts Iā€™m doing now.

Spivitz

The Throttle is ur friend
TCG Premium
Oct 5, 2012
Early morning arm, back, walk session.

Baseball Workout GIF by MLB Network

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
i don't bench with a spotter, prefer incline dumbbell bench but do flat barbell as part of my routine. had 2 oh noes moments last tuesday, tweaked some arm muscle on the second. pretty annoying now in that it affects anything with my arm, including just bracing for like a leg curl. so sticking to squats and shoulder presses on a machine for now, as everything else kinda sucks. it's not too bothersome at muay thai though.

Thread Info