16CD0ECC-6458-4267-9429-7C82CD374A1C.jpeg

LikeABauce302

TCG Elite Member
Aug 27, 2013
South suburbs
Real Name
Matt
Stepping back in this thread for some motivation :LOL:

I've kind of fallen off track the last 3 weeks or so. My job has me going back to the office, so adjusting to that, has kind of screwed up my routine. I've only been getting to the gym one or two times per week, and I'm playing hockey one night a week. I'm off work this week, so plan to be in the gym as much as I can while I'm free.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
Stepping back in this thread for some motivation :LOL:

I've kind of fallen off track the last 3 weeks or so. My job has me going back to the office, so adjusting to that, has kind of screwed up my routine. I've only been getting to the gym one or two times per week, and I'm playing hockey one night a week. I'm off work this week, so plan to be in the gym as much as I can while I'm free.

same... been told i need to go back to the US; am doing half days at work this week then off the next. muay thai buddy left a week ago who i have taken 99% of my classes with (often us being the only two in class) - i've been good at keeping up at muay thai, but the gym... done like lazy half days. power outage on the island today so no day, got a bit more loose with my diet as well. i've literally had a super solid routine for months (no days off, all food tracked in excel) but some definite disruptions now!

Reactions: LikeABauce302

Aircal

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Nov 10, 2008
Countryside
Real Name
Tom callahan
So been deadlifting once a week the last few weeks. Not a lift I like as I really see it as a way to screw your back up so been taking it slow. Started with 12 reps of just the bar last night. Mainly check form is the goal. Then added 25lb plate to each side and did 10. Then followed with a set of 8. Switched out to 45s and did 6. Pretty happy with the set..... Move to next lift and some short little girl is deadlifting with 25s and a 10.
I laughed and told my son she's trying to show me up. He laughed and said well shes short she only has to move it a few inches...lol We had a good laugh over it...

Reactions: Shawn1112

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
So been deadlifting once a week the last few weeks. Not a lift I like as I really see it as a way to screw your back up so been taking it slow. Started with 12 reps of just the bar last night. Mainly check form is the goal. Then added 25lb plate to each side and did 10. Then followed with a set of 8. Switched out to 45s and did 6. Pretty happy with the set..... Move to next lift and some short little girl is deadlifting with 25s and a 10.
I laughed and told my son she's trying to show me up. He laughed and said well shes short she only has to move it a few inches...lol We had a good laugh over it...

A lot of things go in to deadlifting correctly. Ankle and hip mobility, hamstring and glute flexibility, ability to brace your lats and your core correctly, belly vs chest breathing, they all matter.

There are a lot of people that don't have enough mobility to take the weight to the floor with proper form due to tight glutes/hams, I'm one of them.

Reactions: OffshoreDrilling

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
not sure i can get a 1 month gym membership many places or have to sign up for a year and bail or what. tried out planet fitness on a guest pass yesterday though. everybody was cleaning stuff pretty frequently, guess the safe/ettiquette is to clean what you use before you start it, and after you finish? i kind of bounce around from machines or dumbbells and do like a set among 3 things in a circuit, then another, so i only cleaned up after i finished. was fairly busy when i went in there (around 6 or 7 i forgot). i'm used to working out in a very empty thai gym. also a very hot one, was amazed at how little i sweat with proper air conditioning and it running. thai one did not have enough, but they shut it off anyway to protect us from the cold which covid is more likely to spread in :LOL::rolleyes: that happens to help them save on electricity bills.

nobody had a mask on, seemed kind of ridiculous to me to try and do anything with one, plus i had a test just friday... so i worked out without one.

i never used a smith machine before but it's all they had to squat. it is kind of nice that it seems a lot safer/solo, i didn't have safety bars or anything in thailand. it did not feel great on my back though, by the end i figured i should maybe be at more of a forced leaned to go with the backwards bar travel vs. kinda trying to squat down like normal which on the bottom did not make my lower back feel great. per this it seems that i was correct on that and was indeed doing it incorrectly as my starting position did not look like this. does seem to more forcibly get you to push through the heels, why all the hate on this machine, is that because it is more targeted on the legs but means you won't develop nearly the core/supporting muscles with this lift? that doesn't seem a terrible trade off if it encourages better form and reduces risk.

Screen+Shot+2018-10-04+at+7.02.31+AM.png

actually the bar path in this above looks vertical...

Smith_Machine_Squat96ee14da430f99ddb266f8cb7f72bce7_1024x1024.png

i did it like the above, facing away from slope...

be0ca0975bc9e139a6e413.31987219_.jpg

this chick is facing into the slope...

gdammit how do i use this machine lol. off to youtube

LikeABauce302

TCG Elite Member
Aug 27, 2013
South suburbs
Real Name
Matt
I don't like the smith machine because it just feels unnatural.

I think LA Fitness offers a pay per month plan. I've had an LA membership for over 10 years now. I'm locked in at $29 per month and can go to any location in the US. Equipment selection is decent and I can usually find times to go where it isn't terribly crowded.

My only real gripe is that my home gym (Alsip) is annoyingly slow with repairs when equipment or anything in the facility breaks. One of the incline benches has been broken since April and still has an out of order sign taped to it. Pre-covid I remember the one water fountain seemed to be broken for a solid year. Otherwise it's usually pretty clean and I can't complain for the price.

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
This ride had monumental levels of "this was a bad idea" all over it. The Illinois and Michigan Canal Trail between Morris and Marseilles was absolute garbage. My ATV would have been better suited for it, as the trail is not maintained. If you're thinking about riding it, don't. I chose to ride the road back as far as I could, and I normally will not ride on the street simply for safety reasons. The trail was so bad I risked miles of country roads, blind curves, no shoulder, and traffic doing 55-65 mph passing me in the rain just to avoid coming back on the trail.

On the return trip all was good until I reached the road closure, which neither Google Maps or Waze knew about. That cost me quite a bit of time and was quite challenging. The skies opened up, which is okay if I get wet. But when the lightning and thunder started, and I was the tallest object around, I had to scramble down the road to find shelter under a nice old hickory tree in someone's front yard.

Eventually the skies cleared and it was a nice ride back on the road. Old Stage Rd between Seneca and Morris was a great ride though. Most places there was no shoulder, but the road surface was so smooth. Would be a nice ride on the motorcycle.

Screen-Shot-2021-07-25-at-1.08.18-AM.png

Screen-Shot-2021-07-25-at-12.31.44-AM.png

This bridge being out (arrow) is what set me back and was grueling. About 10' was completely gone, washed out from the road deck down a good 30-40'. No way to portage around it without swimming through a creek. At the most I was about 200-300m from where I needed to go on IL-170 to get me back home. It added about 5-6 miles to the ride, but had some of the steepest grades I've ever done. At one point while it was raining I had to walk the bike up the road/hill because the rear tire was slipping.
Screen-Shot-2021-07-25-at-12.42.00-AM.png

Blownbyyou

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Mar 27, 2008
Going over to sign up at Lifetime Fitness in Burr Ridge. Daughter works there so get a discount. Lounging around the pool today.
Been at Charter Fitness for 5 years now. Stuff was old when I started.
I was a member previd, then had a kid, built basement gym, bought house with pool.., Iā€™ll be back

Reactions: Aircal

Thread Info