šŸ„ Health Workout chat

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
Hopped back onto the Keto diet and will do the 200 pushups a day for 30 days. I'm sure I'll add more in there as I go. Also need to get my step count up. Locked in the house covid style some days keeps step count as low as 2000. :eek4:
How many consecutive pushups can you knock out?

Chest day for me worked up to 335 on flat and 315 on incline. Mixed in some cable flies and machine work.
Left shoulder was not happy with me today. I know you guys have heard me say this before lol. But seriously think I'm going to stop lifting heavy at least on chest and shoulders. My left shoulder has been problematic for a couple years now.

Reactions: Eagle and Spivitz

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
How many consecutive pushups can you knock out?

Chest day for me worked up to 335 on flat and 315 on incline. Mixed in some cable flies and machine work.
Left shoulder was not happy with me today. I know you guys have heard me say this before lol. But seriously think I'm going to stop lifting heavy at least on chest and shoulders. My left shoulder has been problematic for a couple years now.
Do you have the same shoulder issue if you go like 1/2 the weight and more reps?

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
I wonder what the root cause is. My dad had left shoulder issues and the doctors kept passing it off, doing cortisone injections instead of imaging it. Turns out the worn cartilage in his shoulder was sawing through his muscle. One day it made a loud "snap" and part of his bicep became detached. They felt they could go in and pull the muscle back up so it would heal. Well, the cortisone shots had ruined the muscle tissue. The surgeon said each time he tried to grab the muscle it would crumble like blue cheese. So now the top(?) layer of his bicep is down by his elbow and he lost a good 50% strength in that arm.

Something to think about. Have it looked at sooner than later.

Reactions: Shawn1112

Lead Pipe

TCG Sub-par Member
TCG Premium
Nov 4, 2010
I have to start exercising again. Cardio and weight lifting. What supplements would you guys recommend for me, just starting out again. It doesnā€™t take long to get out of shape. Lol.

I meant what pre and post supplements?
I am a firm believer in BCAA's for recovery. It cuts the DOMS time in half. I use Amino Energy as a preworkout. It won't give you the kick of a C4 but it has a decent amount of caffeine.

Reactions: Marko

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
Do you take anything for post workout, like protein supplements?
Lately I have been eating protein (chicken) after I lift. But if I dont, then yes I'll make a protein shake.
I use Whey Protein for after lifting if I dont have chicken.
I'm no expert by any means, only been lifting 6-7 years. There are guys way more knowledgeable than me on TCG with this shit.
Ive learned a lot by reading both on here and just googling shit.

Reactions: Eagle and Marko

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
I am a firm believer in BCAA's for recovery. It cuts the DOMS time in half. I use Amino Energy as a preworkout. It won't give you the kick of a C4 but it has a decent amount of caffeine.
I used to as well, but I didnt feel like they did anything for me. I used to drink a protein shake every single day after I worked out. I was told and read that if you used quality Whey Protein, that it has all the BCAA's you need in it.

Reactions: sickmint79

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
There are far better experts on here than me, but I also am not as committed as them to working out. I could definitely stand to improve it by 50% and maybe I'd actually see some results, lol. That being said, if I do workout and it includes lifting I'll either do a protein shake, tuna fish (sandwiches), or chicken (not fried) for dinner. Once or twice a week I'll switch it up and go with a decent filet steak (low fat, but sacrifices a bit of flavor). That seems to do well for me.

If it is just cardio, like a good bicycle ride (15-30 miles) I'll do tuna or chicken. The shakes are a quick and easy, and I like them, but have to watch out for the levels of cholesterol in them. I didn't realize that for the first year I was using them, then did a blood test and my #'s were way off. It was the shakes doing it, so now I do them sparingly or carefully look at what's in them.

Somewhere earlier in this thread are some excellent suggestions for workout fuel. I made sure to flag the emails so I could easily get the info, which I can look up later. I've been using these, in various flavors. I add two scoops of benefiber to them otherwise the caffeine will liquify anything in my stomach and I'll be paying for it later:

I just make sure i get the ones that have the "+ Electrolytes" in them cause I know I'll be getting a good sweat from the cycling. The flavors themselves are pretty good, better than I expected. So far my favorite was the Cranberry Lemonade, but can't find it anymore. The Tangerine Wave and Pineapple Twist are pretty good. Haven't tried the watermelon cause I'm not much of a fan.

For the shakes I need to find something new. I was using EAS Myoplex Deluxe Chocolate Cream and they were quite good (taste and quality), but EAS ceased production in 2018.

Can never remember which is better for you, whey or soy. One of these days I'll look it up again.

BlueOval4Life recommended this for pre-workout:

The conversation in this thread was on/around 9/7/2020 if that helps.

Reactions: Marko

Lead Pipe

TCG Sub-par Member
TCG Premium
Nov 4, 2010
I used to as well, but I didnt feel like they did anything for me. I used to drink a protein shake every single day after I worked out. I was told and read that if you used quality Whey Protein, that it has all the BCAA's you need in it.
I went with a normal pre-work out Thursday opposed to my Amino Energy and I was sore until Sunday. Maybe it's in my head, idk.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
i'm kinda under the impression the bcaa stuff alone provides minimal benefits? thought good protein pretty much had that too and it was just supplement companies trying to sell you more.

i use some proflex why protein as it seemed to be a good deal around actual protein per scoop and cost (and availability in thailand) - chocolate and vanilla but the vanilla seems easier to dissolve so sticking with it. about to add creatine once it arrives (5g a day i guess). i usually do 5 scoops / 65g of protein a day with it, just tossed into a blender in the morning. glass when i get up, glass after the gym or muay thai, then whatever is left at some point at night.

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
Got my first bicycle ride in for the season. Used to have the Fitbit app push the stats to Endomondo, which was the "parent" app to the UnderArmor "Map My xxxx" apps, basically all of them rolled into one. But they shut the app down last year, which sucks cause I have a few years of data saved to it. Had to export all of the rides from Fitbit and import. Strava imports almost immediately after Fitbit has posted the ride, but the Strava app doesn't have a lot of stats.

Decided to use the MapMyRide/Walk app and import my first ride. For some reason it thinks I was doing Mach 3, like I was chasing down an SR-71 Blackbird.
1615336006297.png

• Haha
Reactions: Eagle

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
lol nice.

my fitbit miscounts my scooter rides as some movement, although not enough for me to bother with it and every day is the same.

i had a site where i logged every flight i ever took in my life. airport to airport and which carrier. they just closed it one day and everything was all gone. i had something like 500 flights. pretty lame

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
I haven't hooped in a long timr and I miss it a lot. Hard to find places to play these days.
Good group of guys that play at Franklin Park gym on M-W-F from 11:30ish till 1-1:30. Mix of guys in their 20's. 30's and 40's. We even have a younger girl (early 20's) that plays with us and she is pretty damn good. Guys set hard screens/picks on her and knock her on her ass sometimes. She gets up, talks some shit and keeps playing lol. They literally just let us start running full and allowing more than 6 people in in last week. Prior to Covid I'd play at least twice a week with them. Not sure of your work schedule, but if your ever free during those days/times, just show up.

Sprayin

Public Enemy #1
TCG Premium
Oct 8, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
Good group of guys that play at Franklin Park gym on M-W-F from 11:30ish till 1-1:30. Mix of guys in their 20's. 30's and 40's. We even have a younger girl (early 20's) that plays with us and she is pretty damn good. Guys set hard screens/picks on her and knock her on her ass sometimes. She gets up, talks some shit and keeps playing lol. They literally just let us start running full and allowing more than 6 people in in last week. Prior to Covid I'd play at least twice a week with them. Not sure of your work schedule, but if your ever free during those days/times, just show up.
I travel for work and am almost never in town during the week unfortunately.

Thread Info