šŸ„ Health Workout chat

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
my form is shitty and i am weak and just trying to do deadlifts yesterday, and not my max weight, i tweaked something in my back. no muay thai today hopefully normal in the next few days though. getting old/being body stupid kind of sucks
Poor form for DL can seriously fuck your back up. Not sure how old you are, but I'm 44 and very rarely DL anymore. Risk/reward factor just isnt there imo. I might DL once a month and keep it below 275lbs. 4-5yrs ago I was DL 495lbs with wrist straps and 405lbs without them.

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
638C9017-7A3E-4C83-9436-34F967CB7E77.jpeg

Donā€™t know if I mentioned it but I managed to find a set of Powerblock USA elites in stock. In stock and sold out within 5 min. They showed up Friday last week. Adjustable from 5-90lbs in 2.5lbs increments, made in the USA. $600ish

bimmer4life

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Feb 18, 2008
Wheaton, Illinois
Question, do you guys use anything for pre-workout fuel / energy booster? Or have you in the past that you could recommend?
I use this if I am doing a long run or bike.

Reactions: SpeedSpeak2me

svtcobra725

Regular
Dec 16, 2008

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
Question, do you guys use anything for pre-workout fuel / energy booster? Or have you in the past that you could recommend?
How is your caffeine tolerance? Might want to use a non stim pre workout if tolerance isnt high.
I have a high tolerance and this has been my go to for a while now

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
How is your caffeine tolerance? Might want to use a non stim pre workout if tolerance isnt high.
I have a high tolerance and this has been my go to for a while now
I think itā€™s okay? I donā€™t drink coffee or soda, so this would be the only intake of caffeine.

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
My lower back is still dorked up. Wanted to detail my momā€™s car since it hasnā€™t had a polish with wax since it was new, oh, 15 years ago.

Since I basically canā€™t bend at the waist I must have done at least 500 squats working the car. My quads are already protesting. Gonna suck for me tomorrow, lol.

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
my form is shitty and i am weak and just trying to do deadlifts yesterday, and not my max weight, i tweaked something in my back. no muay thai today hopefully normal in the next few days though. getting old/being body stupid kind of sucks
Don't do this again. Avoid compound lifts (at any weight) until you fully understand and can execute proper form. hypertrophycoach on IG can get your mindset right if you watch his vids, but in person it normally takes a GOOD personal trainer to teach you how to activate the right muscles and avoid hurting the muscles/joints that need to be protected. Good personal trainers are few and far between

Pick a movement/exercise, watch a bunch of YT videos to learn how to perfect it, then focus on that your next time at the gym. For other exercises, stick to dummy-proof stuff and light weight

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
Don't do this again. Avoid compound lifts (at any weight) until you fully understand and can execute proper form. hypertrophycoach on IG can get your mindset right if you watch his vids, but in person it normally takes a GOOD personal trainer to teach you how to activate the right muscles and avoid hurting the muscles/joints that need to be protected. Good personal trainers are few and far between

Pick a movement/exercise, watch a bunch of YT videos to learn how to perfect it, then focus on that your next time at the gym. For other exercises, stick to dummy-proof stuff and light weight

there's actually a PT in my muay thai class and i did some with her last week and will likely again saturday and it definitely helps having her there to critique my form and give me cues and so on. something she had me try which i ended up liking a lot is having my arms between my knees/narrow grip. so i suppose it is a sumo deadlift now? my gym also has a trap bar which seems to have some plusses and minuses but one of the plusses seems like it can be more forgiving on form.

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
there's actually a PT in my muay thai class and i did some with her last week and will likely again saturday and it definitely helps having her there to critique my form and give me cues and so on. something she had me try which i ended up liking a lot is having my arms between my knees/narrow grip. so i suppose it is a sumo deadlift now? my gym also has a trap bar which seems to have some plusses and minuses but one of the plusses seems like it can be more forgiving on form.
Trap bar is definitely better for your back, so is sumo as long as your legs are wide enough apart. If you feet aren't any wider than a conventional dead, and you put your arms between them, you're gonna hurt yourself. It's just important to note that very few people understand how to do deadlifts with near-perfect (safe) form, and even fewer can actually execute it. Whether it's from ignorance, inflexibility (this is common and not easily fixed), or "other". Core needs to be locked, breathe from your belly, hinge at the hips, hamstrings/hips/glutes can't be overextended because that'll round out your lower back (this is where flexibility comes in), lats need to be braced, etc

I always loved deadlifts but had to stop doing them because I don't have the hamstring or hip mobility to properly execute them :-( I did not learn this until DL'ing started causing back pain

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
Trap bar is definitely better for your back, so is sumo as long as your legs are wide enough apart. If you feet aren't any wider than a conventional dead, and you put your arms between them, you're gonna hurt yourself. It's just important to note that very few people understand how to do deadlifts with near-perfect (safe) form, and even fewer can actually execute it. Whether it's from ignorance, inflexibility (this is common and not easily fixed), or "other". Core needs to be locked, breathe from your belly, hinge at the hips, hamstrings/hips/glutes can't be overextended because that'll round out your lower back (this is where flexibility comes in), lats need to be braced, etc

I always loved deadlifts but had to stop doing them because I don't have the hamstring or hip mobility to properly execute them :-( I did not learn this until DL'ing started causing back pain

hmm thanks on the feet - i mean my grip is inside but my feet were definitely not wide, pulling up an alan thrull video now on sumo. what do you now instead of DL?

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
hmm thanks on the feet - i mean my grip is inside but my feet were definitely not wide, pulling up an alan thrull video now on sumo. what do you now instead of DL?

Conventional (shoulder width) foot placement with your hands inside your feet sounds really weird, it's got to pull your shoulders forward and they're going to stay there throughout the entire motion. You won't really be able to brace your lats like you need to for a proper dead

I do trap bar deads, bent over barbell rows, etc. I subscribe to hypertrophycoach's app (the guy I mentioned on IG) and he has a lot of great workouts in there. There's no replacement that feels quite like a deadlift, but if avoiding them is what it takes to spare myself some pain, I'm all for it.

I'm working on ham and hip flexibility but just can't get where I need to be

Lead Pipe

TCG Sub-par Member
TCG Premium
Nov 4, 2010
Can anyone chime in as to what would be a good set of simple exercises/lifts that I could possibly do at home with every day items to strengthen my lower back and to support my SI joints? Or maybe ones that I could do once I get back in to the gym?
I was having lower back issues especially when I would dead lift or squat heavy. I started finishing off with an exercise where you bend forward and on an angled bench then lift your upper half by your lower back muscles. I wish I knew the actual name for the bench but it's usually at a 45 degree angle with pads for your thighs and it holds the back of your heels in. I do that with a 10-25 lbs. plate. That plus strengthening my core helped a ton.

Edit: This is it. Every gym I've been to has one.

1599763460286.png

Thread Info