Woman plunges 164 feet to death in tragic bungee-jumping accident

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
I was going to insert a quip, or joke, but oh man....

A Colombian bungee-jumper plummeted to her death this week after a communications mishap caused her to leap off a bridge without a fastened cord.

"She got confused," Gustavo Guzmán, the mayor of Fredonia, told El Tiempo of the accident, which occurred Sunday in Amagá in northern Colombia.

First-time jumper Yecenia Morales, 25, and her unnamed boyfriend had traveled to the Amagá viaduct – a popular bungee spot – on an excursion organized by local company Sky Bungee Jumping, according to Newsflash. The two lovebirds were reportedly the 90th jumpers of the day when they approached the platform.

Things went wrong after the operators signaled Morales’ beau – who was ahead of her in line – to take the plunge. But, apparently thinking the cue was meant for her, the young lawyer leaped off the bridge without an attached safety cord and plummeted about 164 feet down to the valley below, Newsflash reported.

At that point, Morales’ distraught boyfriend rushed down to his fallen soulmate, whereupon he futilely attempted to perform CPR. Firefighters later pronounced her dead at the scene.

Along with her injuries inflicted during the free fall, the young daredevil may have suffered from a heart attack before she hit the ground, according to subsequent medical reports. Meanwhile, Morales’ boyfriend is receiving treatment for wounds he sustained while scrambling down to find her and is reportedly in shock over the ordeal.

Guzmán has since chalked up the tragedy to a massive misunderstanding.

"The signal was for the boyfriend to jump because he was already attached to the security equipment," he explained. "They had only put the harness on her so she got confused and rushed."

Nonetheless, authorities have launched an investigation over claims that several companies at the site were unlicensed, according to the Daily Mail.

Morales’ family members have since expressed their grief over the deceased woman.

"My sister is a girl with all the best values, happy, spontaneous, with virtues that made her love her friends, and helped the people in need," said her bereaved brother Andres. He added that she loved reading and dancing and had an entrepreneurial spirit.

blakbearddelite

I'm not one of your 'shit-hole' buddies!
TCG Premium
Jun 28, 2007
FL
There's a video on YT, fortunately it doesn't show the impact. She fell into a tree covered ravine and you don't see her go past the trees. While I've never done any kind of bungee jumped, I feel like I would make sure I'm strapped to something before I jump...I don't trust people.

P40E

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Nov 4, 2012
I’m trying to understand the heart attack part . 164 feet isn’t really that much . It was her first jump and most likely thought it was going fine while she was falling . If she thought the jump was going as planned she would not have panicked .If she realized something was wrong at the very end she would have no time to react since the rate of speed she was traveling would’ve been so great . Let’s say she realized it 2/3 into the jump . You would be traveling so fast by then , the last 1/3 of the jump would be only like one second .

I was never good at equations . Maybe I’m wrong . But I would think she would’ve thought the jump was going well until right at the end of the 164 feet jump . I’ve never bungeed so I don’t know the average jump height .

Either way , it was a bad outcome and r.i.p. to the lady .

Reactions: Dan00Hawk
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info