• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Wiring question, what would you do?

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
JK
So I've been cleaning up under my dash and wiring in a radio and a tach. Both require a switched 12v source which I do have a single wire for that from the factory radio wiring. What would be the best way of connecting these two wires to this single one? Both have harnesses so they don't necessarily need to have disconnects.

Edit: taken care of. Thanks icecreamassassin

Last edited:

Bob Kazamakis

TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
JK
Yea, I know how to splice and have crimpers. I generally do this technique, solder than use self adhering tape.
picture25.jpg

SleeperLS

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 19, 2008
West of the Mississippi

Bob Kazamakis

TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
JK
I have an auxiliary fuse box installed in the cucv with a relay to power up when the ignition is on. That thing required more custom wiring due to not being wired for a radio and only having one spot for a key on power source (and half the fuse box being 24v :rofl:)

I ended up just using the oem key on for the radio and using an open aux connector for the tach. Speedhut has daisy chain wiring harnesses so when I get more gauges it'll now just be plug and play. I'll update my build thread soon enough.

Dennisn

Regular
Sep 30, 2015
Streamwood
I recommend adding an auxiliary fuse panel. It helps keep things clean and you don't have to hack the factory harness.

Here is what I did in my fox body. I ran a 6ga wire from the battery to an 80 amp continuous duty relay. The relay powers up the fuse panel when the key is on.

20151223_215753.jpg

If you plan on adding more than a few things this really is the right way to do it. They make them in 6 fuse instead of twelve if you don't need that much expansion.

There a nothing wrong with a mechanical splice as long as it's done properly.

buy something like this: CirKit Boss Auxiliary Fuse Block/7 Circuits/Weatherproof (3 Constant - 4 Ign.)Details | Painless Performance

easy to add more circuits at your leisure. i've used one on the past couple cars instead of hacking wiring

[MENTION=12377]ekrunch[/MENTION] used a nice piece from Painless that had relays built in.

Best decision I ever made. I have one similar to the one quoted here except mine has 7 outputs that are switched power. All wire, relays, circuit breakers, and fuses included from Painless Performance. Everything is soldered in place and sealed too.

Highly recommended.

P40E

TCG Elite Member
Nov 4, 2012
Problem solved that is good . But I myself wouldn't run just one 12v power to feed both the radio and tach . 12v can be split though . pretty sure it would be ok . That's just me .

With connecting wires ... if you are make shift splicing shit together like two wires into one , the easiest way is using step down butt crimps . You can even heat shrink after wards . Fuck soldering . It's a radio and an accessory , not an ecm .

Mr. SBF

Keeping it Real with Ford Power!!!
May 12, 2015
Kenosha County
I run my tach's 12v source into my ignition switch. Key on tach on... Never had a problem, been that way for 10 years.

I made a relay panel back in October when I added nitrous. I had relays for my waterpump, fuel pump and fans but they were all over in different spots on the car. Plus I wanted everything else to be on relays and on one board for a cleaner look and easy trouble shooting if something went wrong. Turned out pretty good for my first one and doing it on the cheap. The next one that I do for my other car will be better.

Attachments

• 20170213_121423.jpg
    20170213_121423.jpg
    649.9 KB · Views: 30
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info