Wireless Meat Themometer

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
LOL! I wasn't sure what would happen when I went to "meater". Thanks for the explanation.

That looks pretty cool. I have only used the wired/wireless versions which are pretty hit or miss and can be hard to program. Sometimes they work OK for years, sometimes they break after a few uses. They're usually around $50 so for double the money, you can get this one.

If you buy it, let us know how it works.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
I personally spent more money on an instant read than i wanted to, and less money on a wired probe version-

reason being is because i've seen and read that the probes can give false readings when they are sticking out of the meat like that, because they will heat up quicker than the meat...

id rather have an alright ball park from a leave in probe, and then a super accurate instant read to get me where i need to be.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
TCG Premium
Nov 20, 2008
NWI
My gmg has built in temp probe ya hoo
MAMrZRX.jpg

GTPpower

TCG Elite Member
Jun 5, 2012
Nebraska
I have this guy. Works great. Cooked prime rib, Turkey, and a few other things with it.

ThermoPro TP-08S Wireless Remote Digital Cooking Meat Thermometer Dual Probe for Grilling Smoker BBQ
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B014DAVHSQ/?tag=tcg21-20

I'm looking for something that is truly wireless. Most are just like you posted - wiring to a transmitter, then wireless to a separate unit. I'm looking to go wireless from the sensor.

GTPpower

TCG Elite Member
Jun 5, 2012
Nebraska
I personally spent more money on an instant read than i wanted to, and less money on a wired probe version-

reason being is because i've seen and read that the probes can give false readings when they are sticking out of the meat like that, because they will heat up quicker than the meat...

id rather have an alright ball park from a leave in probe, and then a super accurate instant read to get me where i need to be.

Do you have any links to what you have?

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
https://www.seriouseats.com/2016/10/how-to-take-meat-temperature-thermometer-cooking-doneness.html

By this point, everybody and Bobby Flay's mother knows that a good thermometer is the best only way to guarantee that your meat is properly cooked. Forget timers, forget charts, and definitely forget the poke test. Temperature is accurate and unwavering. If you're cooking poultry, white meat is at its juiciest at around 150°F, and dark meat at 165°F+. For red meat, 120°F is rare, 140°F is medium, and 160°F is dust. Get a thermometer; stop overcooking your meat. Capiche?

But! There's one little catch: Whether you're a doctor, a vet, a cook, or just curious by nature, a thermometer only works if you know where to stick it. You want to take the temperature of the center of the meat, but how do you know when you've hit the center?

This easy technique will help you hit that bull's-eye every time.

Point of clarification: We're not actually trying to hit the very center of the meat. What we're trying to do is find the coolest part of the meat. In the hypothetical smooth, frictionless world of Thermodynamics 101, that coolest point would correspond with the center. But in the real world, meat is not a homogeneous sphere. It has connective tissue, fat, muscle, water, air, bones—a full host of substances with varying rates of heat transfer. So simply aiming for the exact physical center doesn't exactly work.*

* This, by the way, is one of the reasons I generally advocate against making a leave-in probe thermometer the only thermometer in your arsenal. It's impossible to guess where the coolest part of the meat is going to be before the meat is cooked, thus the thermometer has a very good chance of giving you a false alarm. Use it as an early warning system at most.

When working with thinner cuts, like steaks, pork chops, or chicken breasts, the task becomes doubly hard, as that center section is so darn slim.

My trick is to not worry about hitting the center. Instead, aim for the right general area, but, rather than trying to gauge depth, just push the thermometer all the way through until it emerges on the other side (or, in the case of, say, a whole turkey or a bone-in prime rib, until the thermometer probe hits bone).

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info