Winter Storage - Heated vs no Heat

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
Trying to decide where to store my car this winter. My own garage or inside my dads shop is not a option. I have 2 options.

My dads friend is going to be renting a vacant shop/showroom in Schaumburg to store cars inside. The place is very nice, and has room for a few boats and about 10 cars. It will be heated but only 45-50 deg, enough so the pipes wont freeze. We originally tried to get this place for about $50 a month per car (I think that's reasonable) but the owner got her realtor involved and must have looked up local storage rates and then wanted $75 a month per car. Downsides is that my car will be stored with others and may be "stuck in" till April 1st. Also I believe if somehow this place is bought/rented during the winter our cars will need to find other homes. Not sure on this yet.

We have been storing our snowmobiles in Pell Lake WI (just south of lake Geneva) for 10+ years. I can rent a 10X24 garage for $70 a month at said location. Its a very nice storage place and I have stored my TA in a unit with no issues. I can also fit many other seasonal stuff in this storage unit. Probably also 2 snowmobiles (without a trailer) that I can ride right from the garage when snow hits. Obviously I can access this location whenever I want. Downside, its far away and it isn't heated.

Local storage units (that can fit a car) range from $120-$200 a month. Heated storage units are near $200. Both these options are around the same price and have equal advantages/disadvantages so I guess I have to decide If a heated garage more important for winter storage?

Discuss.

99PONTIACGP

TCG Elite Member
Oct 3, 2008
Chicago
Real Name
Mike
We have been storing our snowmobiles in Pell Lake WI (just south of lake Geneva) for 10+ years. I can rent a 10X24 garage for $70 a month at said location. Its a very nice storage place and I have stored my TA in a unit with no issues. I can also fit many other seasonal stuff in this storage unit.
I say if you've had no issues with the place in Wisconsin, keep going there becuase you know it reliable and nothing will happen to your car... just my .02

Frank Dukes

TCG Elite Member
May 5, 2009
Rockfordia
We have been storing our snowmobiles in Pell Lake WI (just south of lake Geneva) for 10+ years. I can rent a 10X24 garage for $70 a month at said location. Its a very nice storage place and I have stored my TA in a unit with no issues. I can also fit many other seasonal stuff in this storage unit. Probably also 2 snowmobiles (without a trailer) that I can ride right from the garage when snow hits. Obviously I can access this location whenever I want. Downside, its far away and it isn't heated.

this. what do ya need to heat the vette for? unneccesary IMHO.

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
I see no reason to store it in a heated garage, except if you run straight water in the radiator. We store our boat in a non-heated storage facility.

You might want to PM James (ShockerRacing). He runs a storage place out in Elgin.

I will see if I can find him at Lukes tonight.

Why aren't you storing it at your boy Kevin's?

Kevin is full.

I was looking at storage places then saw the prices. Probably gonna get a cover for my trans am and put it under the balcony at home.

Anywhere in the burbs is expensive for a storage unit, best bet is to find someone with a extra garage space if you want to go cheap.

I say if you've had no issues with the place in Wisconsin, keep going there becuase you know it reliable and nothing will happen to your car... just my .02

Im leaning towards that.

this. what do ya need to heat the vette for? unneccesary IMHO.

IDK why I need heat, that's why im posting this thread.

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
I VOTE FOR HEAT... THE AMOUNT OF CONDENSATION THAT WILL FORM INSIDE YOUR MOTOR AND ON AND INSIDE THE STEEL FRAME WOULD SHOCK YOU... AND ALL THE ALUMINUM SUSPENSION PIECES DO CORRODE AND ALL THE BOOTS DISINTEGRATE DUE TO HAVING MOISTURE AGAINST THEM 24/7. IF YOU ARE GONNA GO AS FAR AS STORING A CAR FOR THE WINTER (STILL A *** MOVE, ITS A CAR... DRIVE IT) MIGHT AS WELL ACTUALLY PROTECT IT INSTEAD OF KEEPING THE PAINT SHINY WHICH IS ALL AN UNHEATED GARAGE WILL DO

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
yes winter is "dry" but that is only in comparison to summer. the problem is that while it is cold outside, the inside is always gonna be a few degrees warmer, this causes condensation the same way a cold glass sweats in a hot room. there is still enough moisture in the air to cause problems, thats why "barn cars" still rust out. in the summer it still happens, but its warm enough for the water to evaporate without causing any problems to steel, in the winter the condensation just sits there because of the lack of heat energy to evaporate it. another problem is that the moisture can condensate inside the frame and in nooks and crannies that you cant see as well. like i said, if you are gonna do something might as well go all out and do it right

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info