Windows 10, how do i get Windows Defender to STOP virus scanning all my files when I boot up?

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
When I turned Defender off, it stayed off, IIRC. I'd check the settings page for Defender if you haven't already done so. Run some other virus scans, too, just in case. I run Spybot Search and destroy occasionally to clean up anything Avast misses.

Worst case scenario, save your data and reformat.

Tinfoil may have better answers when he sees this.

TrboGT

Aug 29, 2016
What would you start with?

In Settings, and the Windows Security section click open Windows Security. There is a section in there called App and Browser control. Click that. In there you can turn off "Check Apps and Files". If you know what you are downloading I wouldn't be too worried about this. That should fix what you are experiencing. No guarantees though. I wouldn't let any of my users at work do this, they seem to actively try to find malicious content. But it's off on my machine.

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber

nytebyte

Not Politically Correct
Mar 2, 2004
Before you just shut off Windows Defender, make sure there isn't a schedule set to run a full scan on all files. You will need to look in the Task Scheduler for this.
Defender shouldn't be running full scans at each boot and should only occasionally do quick scans.

In the past, Windows Defender used to cause high CPU and disk I/O because it would try to scan large files that it probably shouldn't be scanning, such as ISO's and video files. I had a video server with huge MP4, MKV, AVI, ISO and other enormous files on it and Defender would get hung up on those. The solution was to put a file type and / or directory exclusion in Defender so it didn't scan those files. If you have a gaming PC, it might be getting hung up on the large gaming files too. On my gaming PC, I had to put exclusions on certain game directories so Defender didn't fuck with them.

You can check to see if this is the case by bringing up Task Manager, then go to the Performance tab and then click Open Resource Monitor at the bottom. In Resource Monitor, click on the Disk tab, and then find the MsMpEng.exe process and then check the box next to it. Then below in the Disk Activity section, you can see what files the process is accessing. Preferably do this while the high CPU issue is occurring. This is how I discovered Defender was scanning media files on my video server.

The MsMpEng.exe is the core Windows Defender engine and will show up in the Resource Monitor if it is active. If it's not currently active, it may not show up there.

Reactions: Pewter-Camaro

TrboGT

Aug 29, 2016
That's a more elegant solution. I only suggested shutting it off because he said he's not using for any other web activity. I obviously don't shut off Defender for standard users, I just don't have much of it turned on for my work machine or my gaming PC. I also don't do much browsing.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info