Willizm's AR15 Build Thread

willizm

Ho fuckin Ho!
Reaction score
So I find it only fitting that since this is the site that helped build my stock Trans Am into a low 9 (soon hopefully high 8's) second car that I also share my AR15 build. Just like the car I am coming into the rifle stuff as kinda a newb but I'm the type that likes a challenge and likes to learn. I've been researching the AR platform for quite some time and honestly it's one of those things that just resonates with me. I like building PC's, Cars, and now maybe Guns.

I'm looking to build something I can take to the range for fun weekends. It's not for home protection by any means but I want a setup that is light, maneuverable and can shoot out a decent distance. Say near-mid range. Since I'm building it from the ground up I want to put my money into mid-to-high end components. I also want something of the 80% variety since I have the vice and equipment to finish out the remaining 20%.

What I want from this build is to learn how the platform works and build over time with a couple parts here and there. I'm starting with the lower first, then work my way to the upper and accessories.

To start here is what I have
  • 80% Arms Lower Receiver 5.56
  • 80% Arms Easy Jig
  • Drill set
  • Spikes Tactical Enhanced Lower Parts Kit w/ Nickel Boron Trigger

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Good start! Be sure to keep everyone up to date on this... people are EXCITED about 80% builds!

Bruce Jibboo

Reaction score
Why isn't for home protection by any means? The range will be fun at first but running through stages being timed and on accuracy can be real fun (informal but still competing).

willizm

Ho fuckin Ho!
Reaction score
I dunno, i'm not the best with my words. What I meant to say is that it's not intended for home protection but as a weekend toy. Wouldn't mind doing some of those stages once I get more proficient but will see where this goes first.

So far the drilling is going smooth and easy. The jig is really nice quality and the instructions are pretty straight forward. I only got to drilling out the trigger pocket but thats the bulk of the hard work.

I took my portable shop vac and put a clamp to it and the jig to help catch the aluminum that I was drilling out. It actually worked really well. Very little aluminum shavings went flying.

Formula_LS1

Reaction score
Good luck. All the AR's I've had have either been complete or complete lowers that I bought a complete upper for lol

willizm

Ho fuckin Ho!
Reaction score
I spent some time milling out the pockets and completed that. I have a few blemishes that I'll know better the next time, but all together the process wasn't so bad. Just got to be patient when routing out the aluminum. The router I had ended up loosening out the bit on the final pass so it took out a little more material than I cared for but I don't think it will cause an issue. Also got a little overzealous when drilling the pilot hole for the trigger to come out an ended dinging the trigger gaurd.

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
Donating Member
Reaction score
Looks good, way better than the BTR Jig I did. You'l be surprised how functional even an ugly one is though.

Take the hammer out of your LPK then put it in as if you're installing it and be sure that it moves freely where the pins are.

Also, depending on the take up in the trigger you may want to tweak this one or do a National Match trigger in the long run. The spikes setup should do you well overall though.

importcrew

Forum Sponsor
TCG Sponsor
Donating Member
Reaction score
[MENTION=1774]willizm[/MENTION]

If there are any parts you're looking for or need, let me know and I can see what I can do for you.

So far everything is looking great. Keep up the good work.

GIMPY

Reaction score
So dumb question. Its an 80% lower so obviously it's not considered a true firearm yet until the pocket was milled out etc. What do u need to do to make it legal??? I mean it's not illegal but if a cop were to check the gun and not see a serial number on the lower wouldn't that raise a red flag?? [MENTION=1774]willizm[/MENTION] not trying to hi jack ur thread.

blck10th

Reaction score
So dumb question. Its an 80% lower so obviously it's not considered a true firearm yet until the pocket was milled out etc. What do u need to do to make it legal??? I mean it's not illegal but if a cop were to check the gun and not see a serial number on the lower wouldn't that raise a red flag?? [MENTION=1774]willizm[/MENTION] not trying to hi jack ur thread.

There's a thread about that on here posted by [MENTION=1774]willizm[/MENTION]

willizm

Ho fuckin Ho!
Reaction score
This video was rather helpful. The gist I took from it is the only thing I'd have to be concerned with is if I were a felon as being caught with an 80% could be considered "intent", but if you are not a felon and you are complying with all other laws then not having a serial number is not a problem as long as the lower was milled out by myself in my house using my equipment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xU8cYLLPfQ4
would you be willing to "rent" out the jig?
I would but I think that is a grey area that I don't want to get into since it's my equipment and that is questionable.

Mr_Roboto

Donating Member
Reaction score
Something some people recommend for a SN is to put something in the area under the grip so the gun can be identified if stolen. The advantage of that is concealment and not blemishing your pretty 80% lower. :)

ldyzluvdis06

Supercharged C5
Reaction score
I would but I think that is a grey area that I don't want to get into since it's my equipment and that is questionable.
understandable, i hadn't looked into the rules behind that, im just to cheap to buy the lower and the jig and the required drill bits. haha. guess ill just continue to pray they dont take away my guns.

Mr_Roboto

Donating Member
Reaction score
understandable, i hadn't looked into the rules behind that, im just to cheap to buy the lower and the jig and the required drill bits. haha. guess ill just continue to pray they dont take away my guns.
The ATF is being fucking dicks about this right now and saying that loaning can be construed as you building it for someone. Although I think it's bullshit I certainly wouldn't wanna be the poor fuck having to beg the SAF or NRA-ILA to defend me.

blck10th

Reaction score
This video was rather helpful. The gist I took from it is the only thing I'd have to be concerned with is if I were a felon as being caught with an 80% could be considered "intent", but if you are not a felon and you are complying with all other laws then not having a serial number is not a problem as long as the lower was milled out by myself in my house using my equipment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xU8cYLLPfQ4

Wonder if you could sell your equipment and then buy it back. Seems reasonable.

willizm

Ho fuckin Ho!
Reaction score
Lets talk upper receivers and bolt carrier groups. I have a carbine buffer tube and cheap magpul stock. Will get the fancy magpul UBR gen 2 when it comes out.

As for the uppers I'm looking for a nice rail setup with a 16" barrel. I want to mount a red dot at some time and do flip ups. Should I buy a upper package with bolt carrier group/charge handle or just get that seperate? Thoughts?

Mr_Roboto

Donating Member
Reaction score
That looks good if you're into the political side of things Troy is no Bueno these days however.

importcrew

Forum Sponsor
TCG Sponsor
Donating Member
Reaction score

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom