Will the motorcycle replace the car for performance-minded drivers?

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
taken from autoblog...

We ran across an interesting question posed by Paul Crowe over at The Kneeslider and decided to see what our readers thought: Are motorcycles the future of performance? This question seemingly has some merit due to the tighter CAFE requirements that the government is forcing upon automakers. General Motors cannot afford to sell hundreds of thousands of Camaros at great prices, no matter how many consumers want them. Instead, it seems that the highest-performing Camaro could be a hybrid, which would undoubtedly cost more than an SS with a V8 engine. Rumors are circulating that the Corvette ZR1 will be the last one powered by a larger-displacement V8 engine. Motorcycles, on the other hand, have so far slipped under the radar. Although it is probably not necessary since most bikes get pretty good fuel economy anyway, CAFE does not exist in the motorcycle market. Is the performance car going to go down in smoke in the wake of increasing fuel mileage? If so, will speed junkies make the switch to motorcycles?

raises a very good point....discuss

James

TCG Elite Member
Jan 18, 2008
Cars were getting boring for me. And motorcycles were the next logical progression in the need to tinker and learn a new platform.
After getting a bike- I have zero interest or need in building cars anymore.

It doesn't hurt that 95% of sportbikes will do 10's out of the box. ;)
But you also have to be o.k. with getting killed anytime you go out riding.

Ron Vogel

TCG Elite Member
Jul 12, 2007
Aurora
Real Name
Ron Vogel
I had a bike, it was fun. Not sure if I'd want another. Unless you have a lot of free time (which I don't) you can't really enjoy it. I used to be pretty involved with the local bike scene, even how I met my wife.
rns.jpg

Ron Vogel

TCG Elite Member
Jul 12, 2007
Aurora
Real Name
Ron Vogel
Wanna get a bike, but i dont like the idea of 160mph romps down the freeway. Down the track i could get used too. I've pretty much planned my death to be involved with wheels and motors, so getting killed wont bother me too much. Besides i'll be dead, why worry?

Only 160? Crap, I had my speedo pegged at 200 more than a handful of times. Hit an indicated 185 on 75th street in Naperville with my wife on the back....

IDAFC21

WOW.
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2007
Avondale, AZ
ive entertained the idea before. would make a nice commuter to work and back. BUT then i remember that drivers are here are fucking whacko, and id probably get plowed over by a red-light runner in a lifted F350 the first week i owned the bike, so....i'll stick w/ my steel coffin

importcrew

Forum Sponsor
TCG Premium
Jan 26, 2008
Hampshire
I used to be big into the bike scene. I topped out my bike several times on Rt 20. Dangerous and exhilarating! I had plenty of plans for the bike to make it even lighter than what it is. I was gonna do a full Carbon Fiber make over from wheels to body. Just to have it done around these parts :biggthump: But now i'm not so much into the scene anymore. I was getting to reckless with it. (I even passed a cop doing 120+ mph)

S

ssal

off topic!!! haha j/k but yeah i dont think motorcycles will be the future of performance. the reason i say this is because even though that cars are becoming more fuel efficient the performance is also going up. the automotive world is always evolving, especially the tuning world. so i dont think motorcycles will be the future of performance. it will coexist with cars as it always has been.

as for as bikes... i would love to have one BUT i dont trust the retards that are driving on the roads nowadays...

E

TCG Elite Member
Jan 26, 2008
State of Confusion
Real Name
E
off topic!!! haha j/k but yeah i dont think motorcycles will be the future of performance. the reason i say this is because even though that cars are becoming more fuel efficient the performance is also going up. the automotive world is always evolving, especially the tuning world. so i dont think motorcycles will be the future of performance. it will coexist with cars as it always has been.

as for as bikes... i would love to have one BUT i dont trust the retards that are driving on the roads nowadays...

Agreeed........ Two wheel and Four wheels are just two different worlds. Both will always get there performance one way or the other.

For me i would love to have a bike for the summer just for gas saving too and from work.

ktraver97ss

I say what everyone thinks
Aug 29, 2007
Roselle, IL
I disagree, you can always rip out the weak ass motors and drop a crate in and build that, or a block from the junkyard. If theres a will theres a way. The gov has been trying to stop street racing and modding since the bootleggers started modding their cars to stay a step ahead of the coppers. Sure, it may cost more to have a high displacement car in the future, but hey, that will hopeful mean less kids driving them and killing themselves and others. my $.02

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info