Will the motorcycle replace the car for performance-minded drivers?

Mook

El Presidente
Admin
Reaction score
taken from autoblog...

We ran across an interesting question posed by Paul Crowe over at The Kneeslider and decided to see what our readers thought: Are motorcycles the future of performance? This question seemingly has some merit due to the tighter CAFE requirements that the government is forcing upon automakers. General Motors cannot afford to sell hundreds of thousands of Camaros at great prices, no matter how many consumers want them. Instead, it seems that the highest-performing Camaro could be a hybrid, which would undoubtedly cost more than an SS with a V8 engine. Rumors are circulating that the Corvette ZR1 will be the last one powered by a larger-displacement V8 engine. Motorcycles, on the other hand, have so far slipped under the radar. Although it is probably not necessary since most bikes get pretty good fuel economy anyway, CAFE does not exist in the motorcycle market. Is the performance car going to go down in smoke in the wake of increasing fuel mileage? If so, will speed junkies make the switch to motorcycles?
raises a very good point....discuss

CamaroSS

Banned
Reaction score
i want a bike, and i will get one at some point here, would be nice to have for summer for sure. i could see it happening, but most car guys have a bike already cause of the love for speed.

PANDA

Reaction score
Who make up this CAFE shit and who is going to enforce it?

James

Reaction score
Cars were getting boring for me. And motorcycles were the next logical progression in the need to tinker and learn a new platform.
After getting a bike- I have zero interest or need in building cars anymore.

It doesn't hurt that 95% of sportbikes will do 10's out of the box. ;)
But you also have to be o.k. with getting killed anytime you go out riding.

tinfoilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
Donating Member
Reaction score
ya only problem with motorcycles is the safety aspect

ive been wanting to get a bike and will probably do it this summer finally

OP
Mook

Mook

El Presidente
Admin
Reaction score
u plan on doing a lot this summer apparently

Mr Baytchos

Reaction score
I could see this but i also think sports cars will get much lighter and smaller with smaller displacement motors that use Direct Injection and forced induction.

OP
Mook

Mook

El Presidente
Admin
Reaction score
ure gonna see a lot more turbo diesels and a lot more smaller displacement turbo setups in the future

Euro

GM or Nothing
Reaction score
solution=don't buy new cars for performance???? :dunno:

Ron Vogel

Reaction score
I had a bike, it was fun. Not sure if I'd want another. Unless you have a lot of free time (which I don't) you can't really enjoy it. I used to be pretty involved with the local bike scene, even how I met my wife.

Poopshinanigans

I'm a middle of the titties voter.
Reaction score
Wanna get a bike, but i dont like the idea of 160mph romps down the freeway. Down the track i could get used too. I've pretty much planned my death to be involved with wheels and motors, so getting killed wont bother me too much. Besides i'll be dead, why worry?

Ron Vogel

Reaction score
Wanna get a bike, but i dont like the idea of 160mph romps down the freeway. Down the track i could get used too. I've pretty much planned my death to be involved with wheels and motors, so getting killed wont bother me too much. Besides i'll be dead, why worry?
Only 160? Crap, I had my speedo pegged at 200 more than a handful of times. Hit an indicated 185 on 75th street in Naperville with my wife on the back....

IDAFC21

WOW.
Super Moderator
Donating Member
Reaction score
ive entertained the idea before. would make a nice commuter to work and back. BUT then i remember that drivers are here are fucking whacko, and id probably get plowed over by a red-light runner in a lifted F350 the first week i owned the bike, so....i'll stick w/ my steel coffin

espresso8097

Reaction score
Maybe would be an idea once I could afford one (don't even have a performance-minded car). Putting an upright bass, amp, and electric on a motorcycle could prove a bad idea.

Then again, just buy used cars for the rest of my life.

importcrew

Forum Sponsor
TCG Sponsor
Donating Member
Reaction score
I used to be big into the bike scene. I topped out my bike several times on Rt 20. Dangerous and exhilarating! I had plenty of plans for the bike to make it even lighter than what it is. I was gonna do a full Carbon Fiber make over from wheels to body. Just to have it done around these parts :biggthump: But now i'm not so much into the scene anymore. I was getting to reckless with it. (I even passed a cop doing 120+ mph)

S

ssal

off topic!!! haha j/k but yeah i dont think motorcycles will be the future of performance. the reason i say this is because even though that cars are becoming more fuel efficient the performance is also going up. the automotive world is always evolving, especially the tuning world. so i dont think motorcycles will be the future of performance. it will coexist with cars as it always has been.

as for as bikes... i would love to have one BUT i dont trust the retards that are driving on the roads nowadays...

Super_SS

CantStopSPINNIN
Reaction score
na no bike for me..knw how to drive it and everything,but im to cucu,and ill end up crashing,so ill stick with my 4 wheel abs slow balt

E

Reaction score
off topic!!! haha j/k but yeah i dont think motorcycles will be the future of performance. the reason i say this is because even though that cars are becoming more fuel efficient the performance is also going up. the automotive world is always evolving, especially the tuning world. so i dont think motorcycles will be the future of performance. it will coexist with cars as it always has been.

as for as bikes... i would love to have one BUT i dont trust the retards that are driving on the roads nowadays...
Agreeed........ Two wheel and Four wheels are just two different worlds. Both will always get there performance one way or the other.

For me i would love to have a bike for the summer just for gas saving too and from work.

ktraver97ss

I say what everyone thinks
Reaction score
I disagree, you can always rip out the weak ass motors and drop a crate in and build that, or a block from the junkyard. If theres a will theres a way. The gov has been trying to stop street racing and modding since the bootleggers started modding their cars to stay a step ahead of the coppers. Sure, it may cost more to have a high displacement car in the future, but hey, that will hopeful mean less kids driving them and killing themselves and others. my $.02

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom