3800 Why we torque our blowers down in proper sequence

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
I got a little careless in June when installing the intercooler and reinstalled my blower with just a standard cross torquing pattern. I knew it was stupid at the time but I persisted. Fast forward to now. I go to take my blower apart so I can get it set up to be ported. This is what I found:

scoredblower1.jpg

scoredblower2.jpg

These photos are from my phone so please excuse the quality. What it shows is significant scoring on the supercharger case, essentially leaving me with a useless supercharger case. So remember that torque specs are there for a reason. *embarrassed*

So Ron, when you get that blower back I would like to buy your other one off of you so long as it's in good shape. Speaking of my camera phone and Ron, I found this:

kitty1.jpg

How's this little guy doing? :)

I

imported_Ron Vogel

She's in the shop for a declawing on the fronts, and some preventative maintainence for carpet cleanliness (spade).

Well, the only thing on my blower is I promised my wife I'd get as much of the money back as possible for buying the new blower. Once the new one is ready to come off. The new one is getting a fresh snout rebuild, and I'm stripping it back to an aluminum finish. I'm probably going to ask about $200+ for it. If you need a snout rebuild kit, they can be had for cheap through Texas T-birds for about $32.50 IIRC. You may be better off getting the case only through Ed if the rotors are OK.

I

imported_snoop

so let me get this straight, so you're saying that a very little tiny 25 ft/pnds of torque can twist and bend aluminum to wear its gonna fuck up the housing/rotors of a blower. come on dawg, you cant be serious. please tell me something different, cuz that is b.s.

98 TGP TOY

TCG Elite Member
Feb 9, 2008
Morton, IL
Its pretty well known that if you dont torque down the M90 properly, you can easily warp the casing. I doubt the damaged happened in the first couple months, but over time as it was heated and cooled. After expansion and contraction it eventually warped itself like such.

Sorry to hear it Mike. Good luck with the rebuild.

PS...YGPM...somewhat urgent...thanx :D

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
Originally posted by CoolGTX@Jan 29 2005, 02:11 PM
I wonder if the real reason isnt something else....like something isnt milled quite right....i've got PROOF!
e-mail for more info.
[snapback]69419[/snapback]​

No mine is milled correctly as I have independantly verified. I saw pictures of yours and you can tell it's not straight just by looking at it; no need to measure straightness.

My blower was torqued incorrectly. The only cause of this problem was the operator of the wrenches.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
Originally posted by snoop@Jan 30 2005, 11:49 AM
trust me, you have a bigger problem then just which bolts you tightened down in which way. that is just rediculous to think that.
[snapback]69509[/snapback]​
Well if it's ridiculous, Eaton and Magnuson are equally as ignorant as I am as I've talked to both in the past few days and all parties concur that this is the result of improper torquing. I'm merely passing on observations and the confirmation of those that do this for a living. If you must take it with a grain of salt, do so.

I

imported_snoop

look cumstain, no need to break out the dictionary and try to sound all intellegent. i was just saying, i have been working on these cars ALOT longer than you have and i have never had that problem before. there is not enough torque on the bolts for that to be a problem. and of course the manufacturer is gonna tell you that its your fault CUZ THEY DONT WANT TO DEAL WITH IT. wake up cumstain. try not to take offense to what i say always alright, i was just stating an opinion and it seems like everyone else agrees with me. there is no way that just by torqing the bolts around instead of sequence in gonna fuck up the housing. so chill out and get your shit fixed so i can watch you run some low 12's this year. ;-).

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
Originally posted by snoop@Jan 30 2005, 01:23 PM
look cumstain, no need to break out the dictionary and try to sound all intellegent. i was just saying, i have been working on these cars ALOT longer than you have and i have never had that problem before. there is not enough torque on the bolts for that to be a problem. and of course the manufacturer is gonna tell you that its your fault CUZ THEY DONT WANT TO DEAL WITH IT. wake up cumstain. try not to take offense to what i say always alright, i was just stating an opinion and it seems like everyone else agrees with me. there is no way that just by torqing the bolts around instead of sequence in gonna fuck up the housing. so chill out and get your shit fixed so i can watch you run some low 12's this year. ;-).
[snapback]69521[/snapback]​
I get to a point where I'm not going to argue it. I'm merely passing on information. You have no idea how long I've been working on these cars so I'm not sure how you can come to an accurate conclusion of my skills. As for your skills? They may be great but when you type like a 5 year old and start trying to play the personal insult card as you did in the above paragraph, my respect for you flies out the window, regardless of your self-proclaimed abilities.

I'm giving reasons for why the blower is the way it is and all you can say is that my logic is "rediculous" (Your improper spelling; not mine). You can say that I'm wrong and that I'm foolish for thinking this way yet you can't tell me why I'm wrong, just that I am.

I deal with Magnuson for parts and have known a gentleman at Eaton for a few years since we began researching this market. It was explained to me that when torqued down carelessly this is a possible scenario. That's all I am trying to say. Quit trying to turn a molehill into a mountain.

I

imported_snoop

dude, this guy just got into the gp world. he'll learn. but for now, you might as well talk to the wall, cuz thats about as far as your gonna get. this dude is another winner.

cumstain, hope all works out for you. good luck and dont forget to tighten your wheels in sequence or you'll get a flat tire

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
Originally posted by JonPGTP1@Jan 30 2005, 02:00 PM
i would think overtightening or not tightening enough would cause something like that...not the sequence in which you torque them. it makes absolutely no sense that torqueing sequence would make a difference.
[snapback]69525[/snapback]​
I apologize if this is simply my poor communication but both sequence and torque values are applied in this situation. I should have mentioned in my initial post that I did not use a torque wrench, thus the problem. *painting my face red here*

beyerch

Addict
Jan 20, 2009
snoop,

who the fuck are you again ?

there ARE torque sequences for many items on our cars and for other applications where you need to torque items down. I'm *NOT* going to sit here and proclaim to have the exact reason why this is, but many manufacturer's require torquing sequences.

As far as your attitude here, its one thing to disagree but another to be an arrogant insulting asshole.

:unsure:

I

imported_snoop

sorry charles, i am sorry. i didnt mean to offend you. if you are mad at me i appologize. i never meant to hurt you. please forgive me. i humbly appologize. i take it all back. just please do not curse at me anymore please. i appologize deeply.

p.s., mr midlife crisis, why dont you go back and read my post again. i dont see where i was a ignorant asshole there buddy. i stated my opinion after he got offended, and i told him i would have liked to see his car fixed so he could be running some good #'s. why did you even post. do i offend you. do i push most of your "wrong" buttons. i know and most of everyone else knows that there are certain sequences to follow on certain parts. as for the blower, there is no way that would have happened just by sequence. you know it and i know it. so it seems to me that your post was just for me, for what i have no idea.
so now when you write back with this big ass long lecture about me and yada yada yada, and everyone agrees cuz i am the asshole(how that came about i have no idea), its all good. just know one thing oh great one, i like your pcm. ;-)
again, i am sorry if i offended you oh master. i am greatful to see your name on the screen and have my name come out of your fingers. i appologize for you are my idol. so cheif i appologize and please dont be mad at me anymore. i didnt mean it

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info