3800 Why don't people do basic maintenance?

thebullfrog

Addict
Sep 12, 2008
Algonquin
Real Name
Jerimiah
Got my car back from my mechanic. I won't even try to begin to describe the condition of the brakes. Let's just say it was.. bad. In fact, the worst I've ever seen. One of the worst my mechanic has ever seen and he's been in the game longer than I've been alive. I'm honestly totally stumped as to how the thing even stopped. We're both pretty sure they were original. As in they were installed in Kansas. And were left on for over 87,000 miles. I should have kept the pads and rotors to bring them to the next meet. But the point of my story is is the fuel filter. There was some nasty ass black crap that came pouring out. And it rattled. Something came apart and the filter was rattling. The bad: The brake debacle (slide pins were rusted in place) wound up bringing my total to just over $400 and I'm pissed. The good: I can stop. And go. My fueling looks soooo much better now. I made a couple runs. The worst I ever saw was 3.19 for like a millisecond on one run. Every other run I only hit like 2.7-ish at the same points I used to get well over 5 with spikes of 7+. Now my worst spike is less than my old average. Not bad. Still not great, but much, much better. The car is so much happier now. My 02 voltages are far more healthy looking. 920 as opposed to 875 at WOT. Still seems a bit lean, but a definate improvement. Too bad now I'm too freakin broke to get the vibration fixed for a few more weeks. Oh, well.

Royalgtp

TCG Elite Member
Dec 24, 2008
<div class='quotemain'>
and most people just buy a new car every 3-4 years anyway....

Its the new thing to do. :lolsign:
[/b]
keeping them for 3-5 is the old way, the new way is only 1-2 years, then dump it. Keeping them for 5-10 years, you are talking about your grandparenets.
[/b][/quote]

Yes, I was mistaken.

Yes, younger people get a brand new car every 1-2 years. People in thier 30s seem to be a little more old school and are keeping them 3-5 years. Our grandparents are keeping them 5-10.

Funny how things change, but yeah, people dont do maintenance to newer cars because they figure they will just sell them in a few years so who cares!??

........BUT, I guess when mommy and daddy buy them the car it really doesnt matter anyway!!!!

CoolGTX

let sleeping dogs lie
Nov 17, 2008
Hotel 4 Dogs
Real Name
J/O
Try the tie rod ends, will be either those or the front control arm bushing causing the vibration. Both can cause intermittant out of alignment problems if worn out. The other potential cause could be the hub.
[/b]
never thought about the Hub. I have an intermitant vib at take off and I also have a Known bad pass hub. Time to spend a few more buckaroos.

thebullfrog

Addict
Sep 12, 2008
Algonquin
Real Name
Jerimiah
I don't think it's the hub. I'm kinda leaning towards the bushings myself. Geuss I'll see in a couple weeks when my bank account grows back. After that the car ahould be in pretty tip-top shape. Needs a couple gaskets, but nothing big. Yesterday I saw my knock hit just over 4 again, but it was right as I hit the bottom of a nsaty dip behind my work, so I think it was false. I made a couple more runs on the highway, and again it never even hit 3. Hopefully when I get the DP on it should eliminate most of the knock I've got still. Then it's pulley time :)
And yeah, older people keep they're cars forever. The longest I've owned a car was just over 2 years, but that's mostly been due to external factors. I'd still have my 1g DSM from when I was 17 if I hadn't had to get rid of it. I'll have the GTP for quite some time I'm sure. Well, at least for the 3 1/2 years I still have to pay for it. Honestly I may keep it longer though. They seem pretty economical to rebuild or swap the engine in, so it may be hanging around for quite some time at least as a DD.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info