3800 Why do 3800’s get hated on in the US while Aussie guys make em scream?

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
I didn't know there was hate for them. I think for the time, they were insanely capable and easily modified. Now though, I can't imagine choosing a front wheel drive legacy platform just because even after you've made it fast and reliable, you've spent a boatload of money and still have a front wheel drive car. If I was someone looking for a budget build, an older E60 or E90/ E92 N54 BMW would be my choice. You're dealing with a better starting point, more reliability (relative, I know) and it's easier to more reliably squeeze out power.

I think this is the same reason the V6 Taurus SHO's haven't really appreciated. They were amazing road course cars for their time but everything eclipsed them and they lost their edge.

SHKENBK

Regular
Aug 26, 2022
Central Texas
Real Name
Rob `
I didn't know there was hate for them. I think for the time, they were insanely capable and easily modified. Now though, I can't imagine choosing a front wheel drive legacy platform just because even after you've made it fast and reliable, you've spent a boatload of money and still have a front wheel drive car. If I was someone looking for a budget build, an older E60 or E90/ E92 N54 BMW would be my choice. You're dealing with a better starting point, more reliability (relative, I know) and it's easier to more reliably squeeze out power.

I think this is the same reason the V6 Taurus SHO's haven't really appreciated. They were amazing road course cars for their time but everything eclipsed them and they lost their edge.
I don’t know man. Cars these days are so fast it seems like building anything older is just for fun. There’s not really many older cars running around the streets that can put up a good fight and still be actually driven anywhere.

We have a guy with a 10 second 70 Vette and even he gets walked and really can’t drive it that much.

Seems like the divide has gotten further apart.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
Oh I totally get that. I think my point is, that platform was always kind of a compromise. I was 25ish at the time I was running W Body Store. At the time the platform was desirable a) because I was poor and b) because the cars responded to well to modifications and could be made very quick (for the time) for not a lot of money. There really was nothing you could compare them to.

I think versus the W Body/ 3800 cars being a bad platform, it's just that so many better platforms came along in the time since. That same 25 year old kid living in 2022 has so many awesome "old" platforms to choose from. $10,000 - $15,000 gets you a neutral, rear wheel drive or all wheel rive performance car. So I'm not saying I agree. I'm just saying that from the perspective of a younger enthusiast, I can see why they'd turn their nose up at the platform.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
Drive an e60 with sport package and the N54 engine. It's an insanely competent, neutral car. A lot of those late 2000's German cars were a lot of fun right before everything turned digital and soul-less.

That said, not all newer cars are terrible. My i8's steering is comparable to an arcade game in how much feedback it provides but the car itself is so much fun to drive.

Reactions: Yaj Yak

SHKENBK

Regular
Aug 26, 2022
Central Texas
Real Name
Rob `
Drive an e60 with sport package and the N54 engine. It's an insanely competent, neutral car. A lot of those late 2000's German cars were a lot of fun right before everything turned digital and soul-less.

That said, not all newer cars are terrible. My i8's steering is comparable to an arcade game in how much feedback it provides but the car itself is so much fun to drive.
Sounds like your all in for BMW. lol

Capable cars for sure but I prefer the classics. Too many good memories and feelings to pass up.

Aircal

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Nov 10, 2008
Countryside
Real Name
Tom callahan
I used to game with a high roller from England. He would tell me about taking his Saturn I think it was Aura? Our on the Autobahn. I was like how the hell you drive that little pos on the Autobahn. He was like what you talking about? It's got the 3800 supercharged 6 speed manual in it.
We never got anything like that that I knew of.

sktchy

⚠️🫠
TCG Premium
Jul 27, 2021
It's because they're quirky and cool in w and h bodies and nobody considers them contenders as far as ets go. In a rear wheel drive setup it's easier and cheaper to make power with a truck motor. They're mostly a novelty and when someone sees them they're like whoa that's cool I've never seen that before.

They're also oblivious as to what a real bitch they can be in boosted form since they're a little knock sensitive (even though in stock form theyre bulletproof and theyll hate you for blowing a handful up to make one haul ass) and most of the effort unnoticed outside of our community and those of us that can't quit with the damn things would love to get our hands on some aussie intakes and blowers to play with be it not for the import rules that are finally coming to an end so we can easily get those sort of things.

My bad for goin off on one for a minute there.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info