Why Can’t I Get Squat for My Super Duty on Trade?

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007

Ford truck owner gets low-balled, so he heads to the forums and receives plenty of great tips from fellow Blue Oval enthusiasts.
It’s no secret that the Blue Oval makes pickups that are “Built Ford Tough,” which unarguably makes them among the most popular trucks on the market. But as one Ford Trucks Enthusiast forum member learned recently, sometimes there are drawbacks to being popular. In Bananasfoster‘s situation, he believes that it is the immense popularity of the Ford Super Duty that recently led to not one but two dismal trade-in offers from dealers for his 2017 Ford F-250 Super Duty XLT that has only 45,000 miles on it.

“The thing they both said is just that there are a LOT of these trucks on the used market and therefore they just can’t offer me much for it,” says Senior User Bananasfoster. “In both cases, I was trying to get a 2019 diesel F-350 XLT, and they wouldn’t move much there either. Just surprising.”

Ford

The longtime Texas-based forum member shared his bewilderment in the Ford Trucks forums in a name-says-it-all thread titled “Wow! Can’t Get Squat For My Super Duty on Trade!”

After mentioning his surprise at being offered only $26,000 and $28,000 in trade, the Super Duty owner received lots of immediate feedback, and most of the invaluable advice is comprised of tried and proven suggestions from like-minded Ford truck owners from across the country.

One member, “David1986,” brings up an interesting consideration: timing.

Timing has a lot to do with it. If the dealer is sitting on tons of trade in Super Duty’s, most likely your trade value will be lower. They also comp what current auction prices are bringing. If they can buy the same truck as yours at the auction for less than current book prices, it will drive your trade value down.
Right now everyone is trading in their old dinosaur in a the New model, so dealers are sitting on a bunch of trades. Wait a few months and let the craziness go away and the trade values will improve.
Another member, 2006 Ford F-250 owner “Bullitt390,” suggests that it is power level–or lack of it– that most adversely affects resale value, trumping even good timing.

It’s the 6.2 engine that’s dinging you, also for you guys with the 6.4. The 6.0, 6.4 and 6.2 are “worthless” engines to the dealer.
Most members agree that timing and power level play big roles in getting a fair trade-in offer. But there is one other factor that seems to be the No. 1 piece of advice: consider location.

Location, Location, Location
FTE

New Yorker “Speakerfritz” suggests that thinking outside the box–and travelling outside of your local area–may lead to the same positive results that he has achieved.

I had a 2010 6.4 that had a KBB value of 25K trade in and 32K retail,” he writes. “Took it to 5 dealerships, and they all offered 15K. Each had their own excuse as to why.
Took it to a dealership 2 hrs from me and got 25,500. So, I bought my new truck there (9K below sticker). They sold my truck 2 days later for 32k. [My] advice is: Go out into rural America and get a trade estimate, and get away from the metro areas.
Minnesota-based member Acadianbob sides with Speakerfritz about heading to dealerships in rural areas to find better trade in offers.

Totally agree. A used SD has much more value in a rural area.
Forum member Poncho450 backs up the suggestion to drive a bit out of your local area to find the best trade in deals.

Definitely don’t be afraid to travel a bit. Last September I was just seeing what was out there. Every Ford store within 45 minutes of me acted like I wasn’t serious because I was dealing on the phone or internet (before I made a drive) and not sitting in front of them.
A dealer 2 hours away from me found me a truck, made a fair offer on my 2017 trade sight unseen (except for some emailed photos) and consequently sold me a new 2019.
Then guess what happened? The locals all suddenly became interested and started to call and email about 3 weeks after my initial inquiries. I replied to each one of them. Told them that this was the year 2019: Truck deals are made on the internet and over the phone every day.
…My last 4 trucks have all been purchased at least an hour’s drive from home. I guess some stores think it’s 1985 and forget that we have the world sitting in front of us on our computers, tablets and telephones. Days of one dealer being the only game in town are long dead.
One Ford Trucks member PentaPop suggested that the OP try selling the truck himself, fellow forum member “67L48” agreed with the idea and offered up a formula supporting the benefits of considering a private sale.

Private Sale = Trade-In Value * (1 + your tax rate).
In your example, using 8.5% as a WA sales tax rate:
Private Sale = 50,000 * (1 + 8.5%) = $54,250.
So, if you can get at least $54,250 from the private sale, then you’re better off going that route. I’ve never once had a circumstance where I couldn’t get more than 10% more in the private market than a trade-in quote, and usually tax rates are lower than 10%.
Use the example above. Dealership sold that used truck for $32,000. Assume that you could have sold it for $30K. That’s 17% more than the $25.5 trade-in. Assume you sold it for 9% less than the dealership did at $29K. That’s still nearly 14% more than the trade-in … which would be much higher than any sales tax.
Rare is the deal where the trade-in + tax break is better than private sale.
FTE

Like Speakerfritz, forum member “Keith86” mentions the importance of checking the latest Kelly Blue Book to confirm that you’re getting the best deal for your Ford truck.

I traded in my 2018 6.2 xlt with 37k miles a week ago and the dealer give me 34k trade in. I looked up KBB and excellent condition trade in was 33k.
Check out the full Wow! Can’t Get Squat For My Super Duty on Trade! thread here to read all of the great suggestions on how to get the best trade-in rate for your previously-owned truck.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
there's too many things here, im not sure where to even start.

actually, first, dealers are in it to make money. of course their offers were horseshit, because 75% of people hear that number and are just like well fuck it alright. MONTHLY PAYMENT.

then next thing, RIGHT NOW, i can snag that same truck, with the mother of all NA ford engines, the beautiful 7.3 godziller, for 46k right fucking now brand fucking new. without even fucking trying to hunt. :rofl:

1579805111154.png

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info