Who's traveling this year abroad?

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
I’m 100% going to Negril Jamaica in January. Supposed to go to Turks end of July and actually have to purchased airfare this week. But I’m betting it doesn’t happen. They had only 12 cases as of a few weeks ago. Now that they are opening back up they have over 25 cases. Just put their curfew back in effect 10p-6a, you cant be outside. They want negative Covid test from within 72hrs of landing. That’s no big deal to me but the curfew is 100% a deal breaker. We have an Airbnb so plan on being out on the town most nights till 2-3am. Buddy who is renting the Airbnb is saying he might switch it to Puerto Rico. If so I’ll definitely do that.

Reactions: DEEZUZ

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
We're thinking of pulling the trigger for Mexico again end of November... The resort has some new protocols, all swim up bars closed, no more self served buffet, etc... Nothing too deal breaking...

Any other places ya'll going that are taking extreme measures?

some solid travel deals (anticipating you can actually take them) - iirc $580 tix chicago to japan yesterday.

the coworking space on my island is down to providing free acommodation (pretty simple room) for signing up for a work and food package. $525 for a room for a month on a thai island, 2 meals a day, and a cool place to work from. i'm not looking for a room that simple and am on a lower part of my island at the moment in a routine i'm not looking to give up... thailand has had no new cases for 31 days in a row now i believe.

it seems like it is still taking a long time for a cautious opening, and even then, it's unclear how it will work. making you quarantine here would seem to be a non-starter, they are talking (but not really defining, to my knowledge) some kind of travel bubbles; like if you come from x you can visit phuket but not go to x/y/z or something.

being in the US / holding a US passport is not doing you any favors due to the number of cases there. i haven't been in the US since january, i think some places may not let me in simply from the passport and ignore my travel origin.

i'm running low on passport real estate (3 pages blank, probably still fine) and have a tourist visa extended through the end of july. not sure what will happen after that; hoping they auto-extend it for me. if not i may go to bali or the philippines. if i go to central timezone i might try colombia. at some point, if you are out of the US it makes sense to stay out, since being out 330 days within a 365 day period means you can take a $107,500 tax deduction. i left jan 8.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
airasia just came out with an unlimited pass for domestic thailand. 7/20 to 12/17. it is 3000 baht, or about $97.

i think this excludes airport fees/taxes but that's probably $10 or less on a flight. domestic thai flights on airasia are usually pretty cheap, although you could get to 97+ based on dates or close in times... it's definitely worth it if you fly more than once. pretty sweet pass. not sure about my thai visa extension yet, but if i sign up for a muay thai visa i know i can for sure stay a bunch more months too...

• Wow
Reactions: Lord Tin Foilhat

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
some solid travel deals (anticipating you can actually take them) - iirc $580 tix chicago to japan yesterday.

the coworking space on my island is down to providing free acommodation (pretty simple room) for signing up for a work and food package. $525 for a room for a month on a thai island, 2 meals a day, and a cool place to work from. i'm not looking for a room that simple and am on a lower part of my island at the moment in a routine i'm not looking to give up... thailand has had no new cases for 31 days in a row now i believe.

it seems like it is still taking a long time for a cautious opening, and even then, it's unclear how it will work. making you quarantine here would seem to be a non-starter, they are talking (but not really defining, to my knowledge) some kind of travel bubbles; like if you come from x you can visit phuket but not go to x/y/z or something.

being in the US / holding a US passport is not doing you any favors due to the number of cases there. i haven't been in the US since january, i think some places may not let me in simply from the passport and ignore my travel origin.

i'm running low on passport real estate (3 pages blank, probably still fine) and have a tourist visa extended through the end of july. not sure what will happen after that; hoping they auto-extend it for me. if not i may go to bali or the philippines. if i go to central timezone i might try colombia. at some point, if you are out of the US it makes sense to stay out, since being out 330 days within a 365 day period means you can take a $107,500 tax deduction. i left jan 8.
Have heard nothing but good things regarding Columbia. Not sure if you have been there yet, but highly recommended from friends and family. Might try and get out there next year.

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
I swear by vacationing on the Caribbean or out of the Country in January, preferably mid January.
As stupid as this might sound, it really breaks up winter even being your only gone a week. We travel with anywhere between 12-20 people every year and everyone agrees on what I'm saying. We have people that used to take their vacations at other times of the year, now only do it mid Jan.

stock-t-bird

THORNTON QUARRY
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2008
Thornton Quarry
I’m 100% going to Negril Jamaica in January. Supposed to go to Turks end of July and actually have to purchased airfare this week. But I’m betting it doesn’t happen. They had only 12 cases as of a few weeks ago. Now that they are opening back up they have over 25 cases. Just put their curfew back in effect 10p-6a, you cant be outside. They want negative Covid test from within 72hrs of landing. That’s no big deal to me but the curfew is 100% a deal breaker. We have an Airbnb so plan on being out on the town most nights till 2-3am. Buddy who is renting the Airbnb is saying he might switch it to Puerto Rico. If so I’ll definitely do that.
where at in Negril & Turks...I did Whitehouse Sandals in Negril..& Beaches in Turks/Caicos...did Jamiaca 7x..actually know the roads..... CRAZY CAB drivers,as u know

I have reviews/advice if ya' want

Reactions: Shawn1112

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
where at in Negril & Turks...I did Whitehouse Sandals in Negril..& Beaches in Turks/Caicos...did Jamiaca 7x..actually know the roads..... CRAZY CAB drivers,as u know

I have reviews/advice if ya' want
OMG dude you dont have to tell me about the cabbies. In Negril we stay at the Riu Palace which is the nicer of the 2. The Palace allows you access to both RIU resorts. We have done Ricks's Cafe, sunset booze cruise, Margaritaville, 3 dives restaurant and a few other things. If I''m missing out on something please share. We arent afraid to leave the resorts, we actually love getting out and actually seeing things with or without a guide.

Never done Turks but we are supposed to at the end of the month in a HUGE Airbnb, but every day looking more than likely it wont happen due to Covid. As mentioned above, not going if there is a curfew which they just re-instated.

stock-t-bird

THORNTON QUARRY
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2008
Thornton Quarry
OMG dude you dont have to tell me about the cabbies. In Negril we stay at the Riu Palace which is the nicer of the 2. The Palace allows you access to both RIU resorts. We have done Ricks's Cafe, sunset booze cruise, Margaritaville, 3 dives restaurant and a few other things. If I''m missing out on something please share. We arent afraid to leave the resorts, we actually love getting out and actually seeing things with or without a guide.

Never done Turks but we are supposed to at the end of the month in a HUGE Airbnb, but every day looking more than likely it wont happen due to Covid. As mentioned above, not going if there is a curfew which they just re-instated.
Turks is full of Coke/Drugs,did my share...did not leave Grounds...got the shits....1st vaca I actually lost weight...but it was nice
you will be fine...be careful as usual

man I wish u & Spivitz Spivitz lived closer...we would get along very well...Im far South Subs...cheers dudes

Spivitz

The Throttle is ur friend
TCG Premium
Oct 5, 2012
Turks is full of Coke/Drugs,did my share...did not leave Grounds...got the shits....1st vaca I actually lost weight...but it was nice
you will be fine...be careful as usual

man I wish u & Spivitz Spivitz lived closer...we would get along very well...Im far South Subs...cheers dudes

You're invited any time Man

20200701_191415.jpg

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
Well the option to go to punta cana for free, all inclusive resort "Dreams" from Dec 31- Jan 4 just dropped on us as a surprise....

Anyone else been there?
Punta Cana is nice and I would only go back if it was a awesome deal. Like $700 for a week at a great resort. But free is even better lol.
Never stayed at a Dreams resort but have never heard anything bad about them. In fact they are supposed to be one of the better resorts. Its a short trip, only 3 full days there, but again FREE!!!! The Dominican people are awesome, the Haitians are a bunch of pricks including the woman.
Lots of Haitians there, so leaving the resort is a no go unless on a guided excursion. Thats the only Country we didnt feel safe wandering around by ourselves off the resort and that was in the day time lol. Stay on the resort for the 3 days and enjoy it. Booze cruise is highly recommended if you guys like to have a good time. Its cheap and a blast

Reactions: Lord Tin Foilhat

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
Punta Cana is nice and I would only go back if it was a awesome deal. Like $700 for a week at a great resort. But free is even better lol.
Never stayed at a Dreams resort but have never heard anything bad about them. In fact they are supposed to be one of the better resorts. Its a short trip, only 3 full days there, but again FREE!!!! The Dominican people are awesome, the Haitians are a bunch of pricks including the woman.
Lots of Haitians there, so leaving the resort is a no go unless on a guided excursion. Thats the only Country we didnt feel safe wandering around by ourselves off the resort and that was in the day time lol. Stay on the resort for the 3 days and enjoy it. Booze cruise is highly recommended if you guys like to have a good time. Its cheap and a blast
We would have to get passports and all that jazz but yeah...like you said...it's free. Like free free. Free flight, free resort. Not sit through a timeshare free either. So it's really tempting to say no even with everything going on and we would just stay on the resort. But we would also have our kids so, there's that factor too with travel and all.

YOLO? Lol

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
Have heard nothing but good things regarding Columbia. Not sure if you have been there yet, but highly recommended from friends and family. Might try and get out there next year.

i haven't been there but it seems like an interesting place to visit and stay for a while. right now i'm 12 hours ahead of the US and have shifted my work schedule to (usually) complete by 3am, having one that matched the US would be a lot easier though. it's definitely high on my list of places to try out.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info