Who's the resident mustang/mod motor guy here..need some basic advice

NOMIEZVR4

TCG Elite Member
May 6, 2014
Chicago
Car in question is a 2000 Mustang GT. I got a regular who's always come to me for all the work on his car. Its nothing fancy, its got some really basic bolt-ons, intake, exhaust, short shifter and I don't even remember if we did headers on his car. Its got close to 200k on it. It gets driven. a lot.

But anyways, his motor just started showing symptoms of worn rod bearing(s). Its got a very evident knocking sound, the motor has a ton of miles, so its served its time. Obviously he needs a replacement engine.

The car is his fun car but in no way shape or form his race car. I think as it sits it probably makes somewhere in the 250whp range. Basic bolt-ons on that era mustang didn't do much. So anyways, while his current motor is coming out, I wanted to get him a replacement motor. So a few questions...

-What's a good price to pay for one of these 2v modular motors? I'm open to buying used motors depending on what a typical motor runs for.
-Where is a good place to look? Ive poked around on facebook marketplace. I'll look on CL. LKQ is an option as well. I know eBay has some motors as well but they are $1000+
-What else is compatible that can be thrown into the chassis? Crown vic's have the same engine as well if im not mistaken.

Secondly, while its out I was hoping if there were any cost-effective upgrades that could be purchased at the same time..namely a camshaft. I'm not looking for crazy power and neither is he, but if we can get some hardware that can bump him up a few ponies without bigger fuel and ECU tweaks that wont break the bank, I would be up for it. If nothing fits his budget, it will just be a typical engine R&R job. Ideally if I could get an engine with a cam and associated hardware already installed that would be great. Lets see what you guys got.

Nate

Addict
TCG Sponsor
Mar 4, 2014
Wondertucky
Ugh the 2v, well 1000 will net you a decent long block used, I wanna say a ford reman is around 3k. Now as for adding cams: there’s no way to do this without a tune and possibly adding more fuel/maf ect. In the past the secret to any quick 2v was a gear and a vortech. Without modifying the pcm I don’t think anything you can do besides simply R&R’ing the long block.

Reactions: cap42 and NOMIEZVR4

cap42

Restoration Hell
Mar 22, 2005
Bolingbrook IL
Speaking as a former 2v owner, don't bother with the cams unless your going FI. Lots of money to put 2 cams in the car to get very little effort. Cheaper to find a vortech kit and slap that on. Nate's advice is spot on.

There are differences between the crown vic and 2v mod motor and be careful if you get a romeo or a windsor as there some minor differences. Since they are all modular engines the parts *should* interchange but you may be chasing little one off parts etc. A 2000 should be a windsor motor 99- mid year 01 were all windsor's. The other thing with crown vic's is unless you found a old lady car most of those were police/taxi cars and will have tons of run hours and miles on them.

Reactions: Nate and NOMIEZVR4

Nate

Addict
TCG Sponsor
Mar 4, 2014
Wondertucky
alrite cool, i definitely dont want to open a can of worms with something im not familiar with. Whats your suggestion for sourcing a longblock and how much should I expect to pay for one. Also will blocks from a crown Vic work?
I would probably start with placing a wtb ad here, you’d be surprised at who has what

as for the motor stay mustang or you’ll be dealing with more pcm problems

Reactions: NOMIEZVR4

b00sted

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 6, 2010
1590681212724.png

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info