Who's been to Hawaii?

Caleb515

Addict
Aug 20, 2020
Chicago, IL
Real Name
Caleb
And we’re booked!

Been watching flights for the past week and snagged some today for a good deal.

We’re staying at Airbnb’s the first night in Paia and second night in Hana, then a resort in Kaanapali for the rest of the trip. We’re hoping this breaks up the island well and doesn’t put too much pressure on us to rush things.

Also booked a new Wrangler Rubican for the week. Absolutely not necessary, but just seemed fitting. Lol

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
Have fun and if you get a chance it's awesome chewing on raw sugar canes

With how s***** parking can be sometimes if you're going to more popular areas renting Scooters or motorcycles is even better. I got my moped license at age 14 after spending nearly 6 months fixing up a Honda Elite.
On Oahu pretty much all you could do was like 50 miles in any One Direction so a moped/scooter was perfect

I was actually legal to drive my moped at age 14 in Michigan for "90 days"

I think I drove it on that license fer a year....Hawai'i plates :rofl:

darkshadow04

Regular
TCG Premium
Mar 14, 2008
South Elgin
Kauai was my favorite. So chill, not touristy and super relaxing.
When I went on my Honeymoon 10 years ago, we hit up Kauai and Maui. Kauai was fantastic!

We checked out Waimea Canyon (the Hawaiian Grand Canyon as some call it), ate shrimp at a road side shack, did the Kauai Coffee Plantaion tour (if you love Coffee, its GREAT!!) and ate ate a few local spots. Loved it!

Maui was also great!

torquelover

TCG Elite Member
Jun 4, 2013
When I went on my Honeymoon 10 years ago, we hit up Kauai and Maui. Kauai was fantastic!

We checked out Waimea Canyon (the Hawaiian Grand Canyon as some call it), ate shrimp at a road side shack, did the Kauai Coffee Plantaion tour (if you love Coffee, its GREAT!!) and ate ate a few local spots. Loved it!

Maui was also great!

Hell yes this sounds like our thing to do. Vaca requested and approved, going next winter. Now need to keep an eye on flights.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
Both my trips were the direct perks of both my parents working for airlines for most of my childhood. We flew alot growing up, though every flight I went on until I was an adult was a standby, so I have been stranded in random airports. But I have also flown on many first class seats. Dad worked at Delta from before I was born until just after 9-11. Mom worked at United from 91 until she retired about 20 years ago. Dad went to United for a few years in the early 00s. One of my uncles still works for United in Denver, he stared in the 80s. At one point in the late 90s/early 00s, I also had 2 cousins, an aunt and the above all working at United here in Chicago/Ohare/Elk Grove with only the uncle not in IL. He started here and went to San Fran then onto Denver and my mom went to San Fran for a while in the late 90s and retired there until she moved near Nashville.
what kind of retiree travel benefits do they get?

Caleb515

Addict
Aug 20, 2020
Chicago, IL
Real Name
Caleb
what's the deal why is it excluded?

Much of the road has deteriorated and is in very rough condition. Also a bit sketchy due to single lanes, no shoulders alongside cliffs, ect.

Most rental agencies have it in writing if anything happens in that area it is not covered and the agreement is void.

Ive read a lot of it is private property also.

We’re considering it still.

blue-sun

TCG Elite Member
Nov 10, 2020
what kind of retiree travel benefits do they get?

Things got crazy with benefits post 9-11 and post the United Bankruptcy a few years later.

The last few times I flew on a "buddy pass", which used to be super cheap, it wasn't that much cheaper than booking the flight myself, and there was no worry about "Are we going to make the flight".

She hasn't flown much lately, post covid and all that. She's also getting up there and has had medical issues, so I'm not really sure what the travel benefits are exactly.

Reactions: sickmint79

cap42

Restoration Hell
Mar 22, 2005
Bolingbrook IL
Just got back from Maui 2 weeks ago, forgot about this thread. This was our second time there.

We got another convertible (mustang) and we did the road to hana full loop. Yes it was a bit sketchy on the backside, several places that shook the shit out of you because the road was so bad. Lots of single lane sections and blind curves. Overall not bad the shotty road sections were the only piece that bothered me.

Highly recommend helicoptor tours, it's awesome seeing everything from the air and getting that different perspective or being able to see things you can't get to by road. We flew into several of the inactive volcano sections to see several hundred foot waterfalls. This was to me the best part of the trip and the whole trip was awesome IMO.

The eastern section of maui had the road open all the way around this time. The west side of the eastern island loop was just as good as the road to hana's backside. Lots of single lane roads, blind corners but great views and plenty of beauty to see.

I'll have to find some of the photos from my phone.

cap42

Restoration Hell
Mar 22, 2005
Bolingbrook IL
Here’s just a quick few, my wife took most of the pics on her phone or dslr

906BC631-C2CD-4467-BF4A-9E561A6A4AD9.jpeg

6D6F88EA-5B46-47A2-A914-B20A78CCFDBF.jpeg

BC152892-905A-4D34-B971-E27C70FFD6A6.jpeg

cap42

Restoration Hell
Mar 22, 2005
Bolingbrook IL
Looks like a great time!

we leave next month for Maui and getting very excited. Feel free to drop some food recs or anything else that’s a must do!
Cafe Mambo in Pia is a little open air restaurant, highly recommend the shrimp island special, to me this was the best food I had the whole time there.

Monkeypod came highly recommended by several people but we didn't want to wait the one time we go there.

Obviously everyone talks about Mama's Fish house, total bitch to get a reservation there, so book it now if you can. Otherwise you can set an alert on Open Table for last minute cancellations, those are hard to get though as they go within seconds and the ones that don't are usually for immediate seating.

If you like donuts and baked goods, give The Bakery Lāhainā a try.

As for things to do/see, there is a ton of things I could suggest but what style are you looking for?

Caleb515

Addict
Aug 20, 2020
Chicago, IL
Real Name
Caleb
Landed a while ago. Grabbed the Turo, some lunch at a food truck spot and checked in to the AirBNB.

First impressions: it’s very pretty, seems super chill / laid back and the food already has been ?

Jet lag is kicking my ass right now though. They’re 5 hours behind so I’ve been up since 3:30am traveling and it’s just now 5pm here.

Update: checked out Paia and Turtle Cove after settling in. Then grabbed dinner at the famous Mamas Fish House which to us was pretty underwhelming. The food just wasn’t very good, me and my girl both agreed the food from the food trucks earlier was much better and fraction of the price. Haha

IMG_6576.jpeg

IMG_6583.jpeg

IMG_6584.png

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info